50 percent certain
60 percent certain
70 percent certain
80 percent certain
90 percent certain
100 percent certain
I would rather go to hell then convert
[Show Results]

How much certainty do you need to find religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 05:19 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
How much certainty do you need to find religion?
Suppose you became X percent certain that God exists and the Westboro Baptist church is the one true religion. If X is 0, obviously you do not convert. If X is 100, then you should probably convert to avoid an agonizing eternity in hell.

At what X do you convert? Choose the X in the poll that is closest to your X.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 05:24 AM
RE: How much certainty do you need to find religion?
Fuck.
I forgot the trolls emerge during Fall, to fatten up before hibernation.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-09-2013, 05:34 AM
(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Fuck.

What do you mean Bucky? You're a troll and you never hibernate.

Anyways, I don't intend this to be a thread about whether it is wise or not to convert to religion(if you somehow became certain). Nor do I intend this to be a discussion about whether the god of the Westboro Baptist church is good or evil. Both of those topics are irrelevant to this thread. I'm just curious as to how certain the population at this forum would have to be before they convert to a distasteful religion.
20-09-2013, 05:38 AM
(20-09-2013 05:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 05:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Fuck.

What do you mean Bucky? You're a troll and you never hibernate.

Anyways, I don't intend this to be a thread about whether it is wise or not to convert to religion(if you somehow became certain). Nor do I intend this to be a discussion about whether the god of the Westboro Baptist church is good or evil. Both of those topics are irrelevant to this thread.

Irrelevant. It's perfectly obvious what you intend here, Mr. "-5".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
20-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Re: How much certainty do you need to find religion?
When x percent of valid evidence appears. I will believe to around the degree of x.

The Pascal aspect is still pointless here because of I believe in WBC belief 83% I still don't deny Muslim belief God may punish me or that I'll be reincarnated.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-09-2013, 05:45 AM
As you have percentages and the word "certain", which means known for sure; established beyond doubt, the poll is rendered meaningless.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-09-2013, 05:46 AM
I hear the Westboro Baptist Church is no longer accepting new members. As such, entry to heaven is no longer possible.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
20-09-2013, 05:46 AM
(20-09-2013 05:39 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  When x percent of valid evidence appears. I will believe to around the degree of x.

I don't take issue with that. Suppose X is 1, do you start attending services at WBC? Suppose it is 100? At what X do you begin to call yourself a WBC member?
20-09-2013, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 11:06 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(20-09-2013 05:14 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose you became X percent certain that God exists and the Westboro Baptist church is the one true religion. If X is 0, obviously you do not convert. If X is 100, then you should probably convert to avoid an agonizing eternity in hell.

At what X do you convert? Choose the X in the poll that is closest to your X.

You're making too many assumption in too simplistic a fashion. Even if a god were proven beyond a reasonable doubt to exist, is it the only god? Are there others? She we be worried about them? Does this god have another higher power it answers to? Should we be worried about that?

There could be near 100% proof that Aries exists, but he's kind of an asshole, so I'd be wondering were Athena or Hephaestus was hiding. Just because a god does exists, doesn't mean that it is worth worshiping. Honestly any god worthy of following wouldn't want or need worshiping; let alone demand it under threat of eternal punishment. Drinking Beverage

These are not simple things that can be broken down into basic categorical boxes.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-09-2013, 05:50 AM
(20-09-2013 05:46 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I hear the Westboro Baptist Church is no longer accepting new members. As such, entry to heaven is no longer possible.

For the sake of argument, lets assume they are still accepting new members...I know this is a difficult question, and maybe even a bit scary....but that is no excuse for nit picking it.