50 percent certain
60 percent certain
70 percent certain
80 percent certain
90 percent certain
100 percent certain
I would rather go to hell then convert
[Show Results]

How much certainty do you need to find religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2013, 04:09 PM
RE: How much certainty do you need to find religion?
(22-09-2013 03:47 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 10:47 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Are you suffering form Dementia ?
That would explain quite a lot here.

Can you read what YOU wrote ?

Blowjob said :
"Perhaps the number of people practicing a religion should factor into your decision about how likely that religion is to be true".

THAT, ladies and gentlemen, IS the damn "argumentum ad populum, which he just forgot and then denied he used.

(And he calls me retarded).
Weeping

Maybe his Jebus should send some help for the current crop of clowns.
The trolls really are out this fall, before hibernation

Granted, it's a logical fallacy. And granted, him backing off from it is a bit flaky. But why call him on it? Heywood -- or ANY theist -- unintentionally arguing for Buddhism is just too hilarious.

True, historically speaking.
I sure am not turning into a follower of old Arabic moon-god (Allah), and that's pretty well populated.
Seems like there's quite a bit of change-up going on.
http://religions.pewforum.org/reports
Them ole gods, they just are too intent on confusing their critters.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2013, 03:32 AM

Blowjob said :
"Perhaps the number of people practicing a religion should factor into your decision about how likely that religion is to be true".

THAT, ladies and gentlemen, IS the damn "argumentum ad populum' argument, which he just forgot and then denied he used.

Weeping

Sucky Balls, You have the reading comprehension of a third grader. Please read that exchange again. Someone else was making that argument and I was only referencing it for the purpose of informing them that I would not discuss such things in this thread.
23-09-2013, 04:24 AM
(22-09-2013 07:53 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I call that a Pascal's wager. Pascal's wager does not assume that the probability of any religion to be true vs atheism to be true is unknown. Pascal's wager is assuming the probability to be 50/50. The whole fallacy of the Pascal's wager lies in that assumption, that the probability of god existing vs probability that god doesn't exist is the same , and therefore it is rational to wager on the possibility of god existing to avoid negative consequences if we get it wrong.

But, this is the important bit for any practical use of your proposition.

Quote:This wager assumes you somehow know the probability of a particular religion being the one true religion.
You don't need to assume anything, I know the probability of any religion to be the one true religion. It is 0% .

I think I see our disconnect. You feel that I am making the argument that it is better to believe than disbelieve because of hell and thus you should convert. I am not trying to convert you. Instead I am presenting a thought experiment that has some outlandish assumptions in order to get an idea about how people of this forum think about things, specifically, how they make decisions.

I don't question that you know the probability of any religion to be the one true religion is 0%. What I want to know is how you would act if you believed a specific religion had a 10% chance of being the one true religion, or 20% chance, or 30% chance...so on and so forth.

Given the results of the poll, I'm surprised that the probability has to be quite high before atheists here find religion and that most still wouldn't convert even if they became 100% sure.
23-09-2013, 04:31 AM
(23-09-2013 03:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Blowjob said :

THAT, ladies and gentlemen, IS the damn "argumentum ad populum' argument, which he just forgot and then denied he used.

Weeping

Sucky Balls, You have the reading comprehension of a third grader. Please read that exchange again. Someone else was making that argument and I was only referencing it for the purpose of informing them that I would not discuss such things in this thread.

Nice try. You clearly attempted to support the notion and supported the concept.
It's not nice to tell lies.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-09-2013, 04:47 AM
(23-09-2013 04:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 03:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Sucky Balls, You have the reading comprehension of a third grader. Please read that exchange again. Someone else was making that argument and I was only referencing it for the purpose of informing them that I would not discuss such things in this thread.

Nice try. You clearly attempted to support the notion and supported the concept.
It's not nice to tell lies.

Bucky, I suspect what happened is your skimmed that post and thought I said one thing when I really said something else. You make your little accusation. I call you retarded because of your error. Well you go back and re-read it and discover you read it wrong.

Instead of nutting up and admitting you were wrong. You do the douchbag move of doubling down on your accusation because you are afraid to admit you made a mistake. To help sell your version of events, you quote one sentence in which you truncate a portion of it to make it look like I said one thing, when I really said another. You don't use a quote box to reference the original quote so people won't go back an read the exchange because you don't want them to know you truncated a sentence.

Not only are you a retard, you are dishonest too. You have no integrity. You are a lying double douchbag retard supine jelly.
23-09-2013, 04:54 AM
(21-09-2013 01:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 01:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  By that logic why are you not a muslim? Allah is just as vindictive as Yahweh and there are more muslims in the world than christians so if there is a "True" religion it is more likely to be that one.

If you are at 0%, there is no reason to convert to a distasteful religion because you can figure you're never going to hell if you don't convert.

Perhaps the number of people practicing a religion should factor into your decision about how likely that religion is to be true, but that is the subject of another thread.

I stand by what I said. You attempted to use the argument, as anyone can see. You suggested the number of people practicing a religion should be a factor, as ANYONE who read the quote can see, which I presented perfectly honestly. Anyone reviewing this thread can see what you said, and are now attempting to lie about. Your disingenuous ignorance has been demonstrated over and over since you arrived here, Mr -7. Anyone can see what you said, and what you are now lying about, and who ism and in not telling the truth. Nice try though. You're digging your pathetic little hole deeper and deeper.
"Supine jelly" ? Is that some sort of insult they use in your nursing home, BlowJob ?

23-09-2013, 05:08 AM
(23-09-2013 04:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 01:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you are at 0%, there is no reason to convert to a distasteful religion because you can figure you're never going to hell if you don't convert.

Perhaps the number of people practicing a religion should factor into your decision about how likely that religion is to be true, but that is the subject of another thread.

I stand by what I said. You attempted to use the argument, as anyone can see. You suggested the number of people practicing a religion should be a factor, as ANYONE who read the quote can see, which I presented perfectly honestly. Anyone reviewing this thread can see what you said, and are now attempting to lie about. Your disingenuous ignorance has been demonstrated over and over since you arrived here, Mr -7. Anyone can see what you said, and what you are now lying about, and who ism and in not telling the truth. Nice try though. You're digging your pathetic little hole deeper and deeper.
"Supine jelly" ? Is that some sort of insult they use in your nursing home, BlowJob ?

I was referencing the argument Revenant made. I used the word "perhaps" which is an expression of uncertainty and told him I didn't want to discuss that topic in this thread. Can you provide a quote of where I actually made the fallacy that you accuse me of that isn't in reference to something that someone else said?

You can't.

I called you a supine jelly because you have no spine and are unable to stand up for yourself(your on your back trying to figure out a way to spare yourself from the embarrassment of making a mistake instead of just standing up and admitting it).
23-09-2013, 05:20 AM
(23-09-2013 05:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 04:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I stand by what I said. You attempted to use the argument, as anyone can see. You suggested the number of people practicing a religion should be a factor, as ANYONE who read the quote can see, which I presented perfectly honestly. Anyone reviewing this thread can see what you said, and are now attempting to lie about. Your disingenuous ignorance has been demonstrated over and over since you arrived here, Mr -7. Anyone can see what you said, and what you are now lying about, and who ism and in not telling the truth. Nice try though. You're digging your pathetic little hole deeper and deeper.

I was referencing the argument Revenant made. I used the word "perhaps" which is an expression of uncertainty and told him I didn't want to discuss that topic in this thread. Can you provide a quote of where I actually made the fallacy that you accuse me of that isn't in reference to something that someone else said?

You can't.

I called you a supine jelly because you have no spine and are unable to stand up for yourself(your on your back trying to figure out a way to spare yourself from the embarrassment of making a mistake instead of just standing up and admitting it).

Nice try.
Everyone can see what you clearly said, and what you are clearly trying to do now.
There is a reason you have a -7.

23-09-2013, 05:26 AM
If WPC is representing God, he is truly a despicable one. No thanks, pass.

23-09-2013, 05:32 AM
(23-09-2013 05:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 05:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I was referencing the argument Revenant made. I used the word "perhaps" which is an expression of uncertainty and told him I didn't want to discuss that topic in this thread. Can you provide a quote of where I actually made the fallacy that you accuse me of that isn't in reference to something that someone else said?

You can't.

Nice try.
Everyone can see what you clearly said, and what you are clearly trying to do now.
There is a reason you have a -7.

I challenge you to find a quote of me making the fallacy that you accuse me of which isn't a reference to something someone else said and the best you can do is talk about my reputation?

Pretty pathetic response on your part. Not only does jelly suit you well, but so does weasel.