50 percent certain
60 percent certain
70 percent certain
80 percent certain
90 percent certain
100 percent certain
I would rather go to hell then convert
[Show Results]

How much certainty do you need to find religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2013, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2013 05:58 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: How much certainty do you need to find religion?
BlowJob used the "agumentum ad populum" fallacy, as anyone who read this thread can see. Then he attempted to lie about using it. Now he's attempting to deflect attention from his lie.
It won't work.
There is a reason he has such a poor reputation on TTA.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2013, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2013 07:42 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(23-09-2013 05:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BlowJob used the "agumentum ad populum" fallacy, as anyone who read this thread can see. Then he attempted to lie about using it. Now he's attempting to deflect attention from his lie.
It won't work.

Let anyone who reads this thread neg rep me if they believe your accusation. I only ask that they satisfy the challenge I gave to you....the challenge you tried but failed to complete....that is find and quote in this thread where I made an argument ad populum fallacy and not some quote where I was referencing something someone else said in order to let them know I did not want to discuss it.

However I also ask those same people to look into my accusation against you. That you took a single sentence and truncated it to make it look like I said something I didn't say(see post 97 and 63)....that you quoted outside a quote box so it couldn't be easily referenced. If they agree with my accusation against you, then they should neg rep you for intellectual dishonesty.
23-09-2013, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2013 08:10 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-09-2013 07:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 05:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BlowJob used the "agumentum ad populum" fallacy, as anyone who read this thread can see. Then he attempted to lie about using it. Now he's attempting to deflect attention from his lie.
It won't work.

Let anyone who reads this thread neg rep me if they believe your accusation. I only ask that they satisfy the challenge I gave to you....the challenge you tried but failed to complete....that is find and quote in this thread where I made an argument ad populum fallacy and not some quote where I was referencing something someone else said in order to let them know I did not want to discuss it.

However I also ask those same people to look into my accusation against you. That you took a single sentence and truncated it to make it look like I said something I didn't say(see post 97 and 63)....that you quoted outside a quote box so it couldn't be easily referenced. If they agree with my accusation against you, then they should neg rep you for intellectual dishonesty.

I "trucncated" nothing. I failed nothing. I attempted nothing. I quoted you completely. Your post speaks for itself. You are not worth the time neg repping.
Your negative reputation and every post you ever made here speak for themselves.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-09-2013, 10:47 AM
(23-09-2013 04:24 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 07:53 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I call that a Pascal's wager. Pascal's wager does not assume that the probability of any religion to be true vs atheism to be true is unknown. Pascal's wager is assuming the probability to be 50/50. The whole fallacy of the Pascal's wager lies in that assumption, that the probability of god existing vs probability that god doesn't exist is the same , and therefore it is rational to wager on the possibility of god existing to avoid negative consequences if we get it wrong.

But, this is the important bit for any practical use of your proposition.

You don't need to assume anything, I know the probability of any religion to be the one true religion. It is 0% .

I think I see our disconnect. You feel that I am making the argument that it is better to believe than disbelieve because of hell and thus you should convert. I am not trying to convert you. Instead I am presenting a thought experiment that has some outlandish assumptions in order to get an idea about how people of this forum think about things, specifically, how they make decisions.

I don't question that you know the probability of any religion to be the one true religion is 0%. What I want to know is how you would act if you believed a specific religion had a 10% chance of being the one true religion, or 20% chance, or 30% chance...so on and so forth.

Given the results of the poll, I'm surprised that the probability has to be quite high before atheists here find religion and that most still wouldn't convert even if they became 100% sure.

Oh no, no, I don't think you are trying to convert me, I give you more credit then that ( I'm new here )

Quote:I don't question that you know the probability of any religion to be the one true religion is 0%. What I want to know is how you would act if you believed a specific religion had a 10% chance of being the one true religion, or 20% chance, or 30% chance...so on and so forth.
It still depends largely on how much I like the religion in question. If, for example I was 100% certain that WBC is one true religion, I would still not convert, I would just accept the consequences of not converting. I would burn in hell knowing I made a right decision.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
24-09-2013, 12:24 AM
(23-09-2013 10:47 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  It still depends largely on how much I like the religion in question. If, for example I was 100% certain that WBC is one true religion, I would still not convert, I would just accept the consequences of not converting. I would burn in hell knowing I made a right decision.

I would read comments like this and it would baffle me that so many could act, in my eyes, irrationally. But then I remember that it is not uncommon for people to do things /make decisions they suspect with a high probability they will later regret. I do this myself from time to time.

While it may feel good to stand up to an evil god, its won't accomplish anything and it won't be worth an eternity of suffering.
24-09-2013, 12:34 AM
(24-09-2013 12:24 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I do this myself from time to time.

Like posting on TTA, Grampa-BlowJob ?

24-09-2013, 01:17 AM
(24-09-2013 12:24 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 10:47 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  It still depends largely on how much I like the religion in question. If, for example I was 100% certain that WBC is one true religion, I would still not convert, I would just accept the consequences of not converting. I would burn in hell knowing I made a right decision.

I would read comments like this and it would baffle me that so many could act, in my eyes, irrationally. But then I remember that it is not uncommon for people to do things /make decisions they suspect with a high probability they will later regret. I do this myself from time to time.

While it may feel good to stand up to an evil god, its won't accomplish anything and it won't be worth an eternity of suffering.
That's because I put more value on my morals then on any that are imposed by someone else, even if that someone else is the almighty himself. It's called integrity.
I wouldn't expect you, as a man of god, to be able understand that.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
24-09-2013, 01:19 AM
[Image: h537D9C2C]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
24-09-2013, 01:36 AM
(24-09-2013 01:17 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 12:24 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I would read comments like this and it would baffle me that so many could act, in my eyes, irrationally. But then I remember that it is not uncommon for people to do things /make decisions they suspect with a high probability they will later regret. I do this myself from time to time.

That's because I put more value on my morals then on any that are imposed by someone else, even if that someone else is the almighty himself. It's called integrity.

For whose sake do you maintain your personal integrity? Your sake? Well then you're being selfish and if your going to be selfish you might as well be smart about it and take action that spare you an eternity of suffering.

I suppose you could maintain your personal integrity for the sake of others....but that raises a question....who benefits by you suffering an eternity? Is the benefit some else receives by you maintaining your personal integrity worth the price of eternal suffering for you? Probably not.
24-09-2013, 01:51 AM
(24-09-2013 01:36 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 01:17 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  That's because I put more value on my morals then on any that are imposed by someone else, even if that someone else is the almighty himself. It's called integrity.

For whose sake do you maintain your personal integrity? Your sake? Well then you're being selfish and if your going to be selfish you might as well be smart about it and take action that spare you an eternity of suffering.

I suppose you could maintain your personal integrity for the sake of others....but that raises a question....who benefits by you suffering an eternity? Is the benefit some else receives by you maintaining your personal integrity worth the price of eternal suffering for you? Probably not.

Good god, watching you doing your damnedest to defend Hell and the idea that 'might makes right' is so cute! I was almost positive that humans had some amount of natural and inborn empathy, thanks for disproving that!

But keep trying Blowjob, one of these days you'll find something you're actually good at!

[Image: 47b.gif]

You know, like walking around in circles... wait... I think you might have actually mastered that one already...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post