50 percent certain
60 percent certain
70 percent certain
80 percent certain
90 percent certain
100 percent certain
I would rather go to hell then convert
[Show Results]

How much certainty do you need to find religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2013, 06:36 AM
RE: How much certainty do you need to find religion?
(21-09-2013 03:47 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 09:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well, since we know hell was cooked up to scare children, and had absolutely no part of the Hebrew origins of Christianity, and we know Yahweh (the Babylonian war god/god of the armies) was the 70th son of the Babylonian chief god El Elyon, and we know Jebus was (if he existed) one of the many wandering apocalyptic preachers who made the mistake that the end-times were immanent, (however interesting historically), there isn't a snowball's chance in Haedes/Sheol that any of that crap is actually true, there is no "certainty" number which could be applied to this, except maybe Girly, or one of the mathematicians, knows about an irrational number, that might apply. Otherwise, it -100%.
The same as the 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto. There exists no applicable rational number which would convince me that the old farts that cook up this nonsense are either correct, or have sincere intentions.

Sucky Balls, this is more of a game theory question, not religious studies question or a debate on whether or not the WBC god exists.

Yabut, your uncalibrated scale remains uncalibrated. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Certainty is very bad choice of word to ask a question like this, but just for the sake of argument, I would think that 51% is enough. That is the point where u believe more then u doubt, and if u have to make a choice , it is only rational to go with the option that u find is more likely to be true, even if u find it to be just slightly more likely to be true. I guess. Unsure

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
21-09-2013, 09:22 AM
I was thinking more like 1%.
Show me some evidence that is at least 1% true and verified that this is a god.
Perhaps a neural network made out of neutrinos that spans the universe
What I don't want is someone itching said neural network and the planet being treated as if we were a mosquito

Maybe a burning bush that isn't really burning the bush, but does give off heat.
(we could have one in every house during winter to save on heating costs, to stop burning fossil fuels, as a light source, a 1000 +1 uses.)

Right now, it's all about faith, having 0% certainty and 100% gullibility or as they would call it 110% absolute certainty
And since most don't seem to understand word definitions, (nvm - I'm not even going to go there)

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't think u can look at this question that way. Obviously some confusion comes from the use of word "certainty" , but I think question is meant to be something like this: A is true or B is true, both can't be true and one of them has to be true. You have evidence to support both A and B but not a single piece of evidence is 100% conclusive in either way , at what point you cross the line of reasonable doubt to be able to commit to A or B.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
21-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Let's word it this way "How much evidence do you need to believe in something that requires no evidence in order to believe it" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Let's word it this way: fuck Blome in the neck! Big Grin

Nah. Question is essentially incoherent. It is not certainty, but rather uncertainty that breeds religion.

Faith, despite what the theists would have you believe, is entirely separate from religion. Faith is moral certainty - it is also entirely local. Believing in Gwyneth like I do, will not make you like me. Yet it is my certainty, in my Gwynnies, that makes religion unnecessary.

Sometimes, I am guilty of "preaching the gospel of my Gwynnies," but it is derivative of my joy, not my "moral enlightenment." I get so spun up over that poor girl, I flap my gums; which doesn't make me right, rather, makes me joyous.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:Let's word it this way "How much evidence do you need to believe in something that requires no evidence in order to believe it" ?

Consider
I fail to see where u're going with this?
Please take into consideration that my username is not chosen by accident.

21-09-2013, 10:58 AM
If something is evident I don't need to 'find' it. I also wouldn't need to believe in it...believe implies accepting something as truth. Evident (evidence) means it is clearly seen or obvious.

Try harder, your conversion tactics aren't working.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-09-2013, 11:07 AM
(21-09-2013 10:58 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If something is evident I don't need to 'find' it.

Another prophet speaks.

I was just arguing metaphysics with JJ, came to a conclusion regarding the love/hate dichotomy.

Hate is the manufactured element derived from identity. What I believe, in a humanitarian sense, is that love (and such derivatives as compassion) are fundamental - perhaps not to our species - but to our consciousness.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-09-2013, 01:14 PM
(21-09-2013 08:43 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Certainty is very bad choice of word to ask a question like this, but just for the sake of argument, I would think that 51% is enough. That is the point where u believe more then u doubt, and if u have to make a choice , it is only rational to go with the option that u find is more likely to be true, even if u find it to be just slightly more likely to be true. I guess. Unsure

Its not always most rational to go with the option that you find more likely to be true because of the consequences you face when you are wrong.

If you are at 50% and don't convert, you got to figure that there is a 50% chance you're going to hell. If you are at 25%, and don't convert, you got to figure you're going to hell about 25% of the time. How much risk of going to WBC hell are you willing to take on to avoid giving up your current belief system?