How much do you know about religion? Take the quiz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2012, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 10:31 AM by germanyt.)
RE: How much do you know about religion? Take the quiz
(02-05-2012 10:28 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Got 11 out of 15 so 73% is what I got. Unfortunately I don't live in the U.S so I got 1 of the questions about schools wrong.
I'm gonna guess. You thought that teachers could lead students in prayer?
(02-05-2012 09:57 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 09:55 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I was raised in a RC family.
I'm sorry to hear that. Tongue
Feel sorry for them. They are the ones that look stupid. Big Grin

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
(02-05-2012 10:30 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 10:28 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Got 11 out of 15 so 73% is what I got. Unfortunately I don't live in the U.S so I got 1 of the questions about schools wrong.
I'm gonna guess. You thought that teachers could lead students in prayer?

Yup. Considering America is still seriously Christian, I thought they may have been allowed to do it.
02-05-2012, 11:08 AM
(02-05-2012 10:54 AM)Magoo Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 10:30 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm gonna guess. You thought that teachers could lead students in prayer?

Yup. Considering America is still seriously Christian, I thought they may have been allowed to do it.
I notice most people from outside the US exagerrate how openly religious the US is. It's understandable given all the news and legislation concerning the topic there is. In 13 years of school (including kindergarten) I never had a teacher attempt to bring religion into a classroom. When I was young we did have to say the pledge of alligience every morning but even that now is mostly gone.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
(02-05-2012 11:08 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 10:54 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Yup. Considering America is still seriously Christian, I thought they may have been allowed to do it.
I notice most people from outside the US exagerrate how openly religious the US is. It's understandable given all the news and legislation concerning the topic there is. In 13 years of school (including kindergarten) I never had a teacher attempt to bring religion into a classroom. When I was young we did have to say the pledge of alligience every morning but even that now is mostly gone.

But people get disowned from their family's just for being atheist! And a lot of people still think the Adam and eve story is true and think evolution is a lie. Am I correct in saying that?

I live in Ireland and, during primary school ( middle school is what I think it's called in the U.S ), every morning before school started, we had to say about 5 prayers. We learned all about Christianity during class, told about how Noah's ark is true and so is Adam and eve ( and I believed it, amazingly ). Then, one day a month or so, we would walk down to the local church for mass.

Even now in secondary school ( high school ), the religion books are completely bias and are from a Chriatian point of view. The definition of atheism is: "An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God". Obviously referring to the Christian God.

I just wonder how America seems to have all the nut heads though. Maybe I was just lucky enough to have a very open minded family.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
(02-05-2012 03:25 PM)Magoo Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 11:08 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
But people get disowned from their family's just for being atheist! And a lot of people still think the Adam and eve story is true and think evolution is a lie. Am I correct in saying that?

I live in Ireland and, during primary school ( middle school is what I think it's called in the U.S ), every morning before school started, we had to say about 5 prayers. We learned all about Christianity during class, told about how Noah's ark is true and so is Adam and eve ( and I believed it, amazingly ). Then, one day a month or so, we would walk down to the local church for mass.

Even now in secondary school ( high school ), the religion books are completely bias and are from a Chriatian point of view. The definition of atheism is: "An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God". Obviously referring to the Christian God.

I just wonder how America seems to have all the nut heads though. Maybe I was just lucky enough to have a very open minded family.
This is true. Some people do get disowned but I've never met anyone that has happened to. Just the few and far between internet stories that I often take with a grain of salt. And unless you attend a private school you'll never see prayer time or any talk of relgion in school here. I can't recall ever seeing anything associated with God or religion in school other than maybe a Bible on a teacher or principal's desk, or in the library. I learned about evolution and expansion/CMBR in high school too. And I went to several (7 counting summer school) high schools deep in the Bible Belt.

-Mark Twain
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
(02-05-2012 03:37 PM)germanyt Wrote:  This is true. Some people do get disowned but I've never met anyone that has happened to. Just the few and far between internet stories that I often take with a grain of salt. And unless you attend a private school you'll never see prayer time or any talk of relgion in school here. I can't recall ever seeing anything associated with God or religion in school other than maybe a Bible on a teacher or principal's desk, or in the library. I learned about evolution and expansion/CMBR in high school too. And I went to several (7 counting summer school) high schools deep in the Bible Belt.

Huh?? I thought lots of people got disowned and had other horrible things happened to them. So it's rare something like that happens?
I thought it happened all the time because I listened to Seth's podcasts.
03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
15/15. Cool
30-05-2012, 10:56 AM
14/15

Who the fuck is Charles Finney? Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]