Poll: Average ANNUAL amount spent on food PER PERSON in your household (USD)
$1000-$1999.99
$2000-$2999.99
$3000-$3999.99
$4000-$4999.99
$5000-$5999.99
$6000-$6999.99
$7000-$7999.99
$8000-$8999.99
$9000-$12999.99
$13000-$19,999.99
$20,000+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How much do you spend on food in USD?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 04:33 PM by Adrianime.)
Shocked How much do you spend on food in USD?
My friend and I were talking the other day about how expensive food habits can be a huge chunk of your salary..thus a big determinant of your lifestyle.

I was saying I spend less than $3000 a year on food, while he says he spends between $10,000 and $13,000.

So how about you all? How much do you think your household spends per person on food?

My definition of food in this case: Any food or beverage purchased from a grocery store, restaurant, or other establishment with the intent of human consumption.

My definition of purchase in this case: Use of cash, credit, or government provided funds to obtain food as described above. e.g. If the gov't gives you $500/month to purchase food then that amount counts towards the household food purchase. If somebody else buys you food, try to answer as if you bought that food yourself.

If you only cover the food in your household for a subset of the members then divide how much you spend by that number, instead of the total number.

Anyways, it isn't really complicated, just wanted to make sure everybody has an understanding of what I'm talking about.

An easy way to do this is to take your weekly spending, multiply it by 50 (or 52) and divide that by the number of people. That's how I got my number, as I spend less than $50 a week on groceries. I only eat out maybe 10 times a year, so that isn't a big part of my budget.

Please vote in the poll!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 04:26 PM
RE: How much do you spend on food in USD?
If people feel this poll is too personal I may be able to make the answers private (not sure if I can or not actually).

06-11-2015, 04:35 PM
I should mention I buy almond/soy lattes in the morning from either Peet's or Starbucks--so I included those. I also don't cook like at all, so I usually get takeout. I also try and purchase "healthy" takeout, so that adds to the price. I only "cook" or "make" like two things at home--pasta and pb and j sandwiches. I know it's bad to spend that much on takeout, but I hate cooking.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-11-2015, 04:37 PM
(06-11-2015 04:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I should mention I buy almond/soy lattes in the morning from either Peet's or Starbucks--so I included those. I also don't cook like at all, so I usually get takeout. I also try and purchase "healthy" takeout, so that adds to the price. I only "cook" or "make" like two things at home--pasta and pb and j sandwiches. I know it's bad to spend that much on takeout, but I hate cooking.
Yeah $25-$50 a week on coffee adds up over a year. $1250+ to $2500+ extra per year! Thanks for sharing Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
06-11-2015, 04:55 PM
I spend about $1500 a year on food, another five hundred or so on drink. It's extremely rare for me to eat out at all.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-11-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm not going to vote as the rates for stuff is different in The US than in Denmark. But I'd I spend in the $5000-$6000 range. Which properly is a bit high as I go to the store every day. In that estimation is my daughter as she is only at my place every other weekend.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
06-11-2015, 05:00 PM
(06-11-2015 04:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I spend about $1500 a year on food, another five hundred or so on drink. It's extremely rare for me to eat out at all.
Nice, I didn't know anybody did it better than me. Good job!

06-11-2015, 05:04 PM
I just ran some very rough calculations based on an approximated average university-week's worth of food-spending, and apparently I spend about $2490 USD a year on food.
Not taking taking into account deviations that happen, naturally.
To put that in perspective, I currently get 5229.11 USD a year because I'm a student (not including my twice a year grant).

Food is a tad expensive here...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
06-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Food money is super tight in our house. A majority going to food for the baby.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
06-11-2015, 05:11 PM
(06-11-2015 05:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I just ran some very rough calculations based on an approximated average university-week's worth of food-spending, and apparently I spend about $2490 USD a year on food.
Not taking taking into account deviations that happen, naturally.
To put that in perspective, I currently get 5229.11 USD a year because I'm a student (not including my twice a year grant).

Food is a tad expensive here...
Interesting. Actually when I was at my university my food budget was significantly higher than it is now. I believe the quarterly cost for my food plan was around $1,500 (translating to $6k a year if I didn't take summer off). Part of the reason I moved out of the dorms was because grocery shopping/cooking was significantly less expensive than on-campus food options.

(06-11-2015 05:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Food money is super tight in our house. A majority going to food for the baby.
You didn't vote Tongue