Poll: Average ANNUAL amount spent on food PER PERSON in your household (USD)
$1000-$1999.99
$2000-$2999.99
$3000-$3999.99
$4000-$4999.99
$5000-$5999.99
$6000-$6999.99
$7000-$7999.99
$8000-$8999.99
$9000-$12999.99
$13000-$19,999.99
$20,000+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How much do you spend on food in USD?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 05:21 PM
RE: How much do you spend on food in USD?
(06-11-2015 05:11 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 05:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I just ran some very rough calculations based on an approximated average university-week's worth of food-spending, and apparently I spend about $2490 USD a year on food.
Not taking taking into account deviations that happen, naturally.
To put that in perspective, I currently get 5229.11 USD a year because I'm a student (not including my twice a year grant).

Food is a tad expensive here...

Interesting. Actually when I was at my university my food budget was significantly higher than it is now. I believe the quarterly cost for my food plan was around $1,500 (translating to $6k a year if I didn't take summer off). Part of the reason I moved out of the dorms was because grocery shopping/cooking was significantly less expensive than on-campus food options.

If I did live in student accommodations, things would probably be cheaper for me; in the on-campus dorm, part of your rent goes to the in-house catering staff, so I wouldn't need to buy dinner or the like, just an occasional snack throughout the day. And that would be a good deal cheaper on-campus thanks to the student discounts.
Thing is, at my current 'rate', if I did live there, I wouldn't be able to eat...

(06-11-2015 05:11 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 05:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Food money is super tight in our house. A majority going to food for the baby.
You didn't vote Tongue

Neither did I. Mwahaahaha

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-11-2015, 05:22 PM
(06-11-2015 05:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 04:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I spend about $1500 a year on food, another five hundred or so on drink. It's extremely rare for me to eat out at all.
Nice, I didn't know anybody did it better than me. Good job!

Shop sales, buy bulk, eat fresh and not processed. Not that hard once you get used to shopping two or three times a week.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-11-2015, 05:26 PM
(06-11-2015 05:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  If I did live in student accommodations, things would probably be cheaper for me; in the on-campus dorm, part of your rent goes to the in-house catering staff, so I wouldn't need to buy dinner or the like, just an occasional snack throughout the day. And that would be a good deal cheaper on-campus thanks to the student discounts.
Thing is, at my current 'rate', if I did live there, I wouldn't be able to eat...

(06-11-2015 05:11 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  You didn't vote Tongue

Neither did I. Mwahaahaha
Haha, well I don't know if people outside of the US are uncomfortable voting because of whatever reason. Hobbit Girl on the other hand lives like 300 miles away from me Tongue.

I encourage everybody to vote though.

And wow in-house catering? What the truck, that is crazy. If only America cared about sending kids to college and making the experience special...

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-11-2015, 05:38 PM
No clue. If you add up everything including restaurants...snacks...

Soda...coffee...

Let's put it this way...I'm not sure that I want to know.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-11-2015, 06:04 PM
At the moment I'm around the $2300 mark. That will change once I'm growing food again.

My best year was $744/person in my four person household. That was a good year. Tough, but good.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-11-2015, 06:05 PM
We eat out a fair amount, and I'm not a from-scratch cook in general, so probably on the upper edges of your scale. I'm a little scared to try to calculate, to be honest.

However, my son is going to college next year, so our food costs will be cut in half, at least. Teenage boys eat and eat and eat.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
06-11-2015, 06:55 PM
I actually spend less total now that I have two kids lol. At their age, it's difficult to enjoy eating out, so we don't much anymore. And when I'm on my two week work cycles, food is provide.

When I was single, living in Las Vegas, I ate out almost daily, twice on days off. Simple breakfast, employee lunch buffet if working, restaurant if not, then eat out after work. I was easily spending a grand per month on food just for myself. Now I'm spending maybe $600 per month for the whole family.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
06-11-2015, 07:06 PM
@Moms and @Julep

Ignorance is bliss Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
06-11-2015, 10:12 PM
It's cheaper to eat out than to eat in for me. $3 for a meal at the food court. Although I spent $400 on a meal for two on Wednesday evening.

The Yank I was with was ordering hairy crab and damn fine wine and was a bit shocked when I told him that it's against my personal ethics to claim for food on expenses (even though I am entitled to do so).

I have an empty fridge. No point buying stuff that will be rotten by the time I get back home to use it.

I average one meal per day and that is usually at a hotel with students so it's paid for.

It's hard to guess but maybe around $4,000 per year. Maybe double that when I have flat-mates and keep the fridge stocked.

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
06-11-2015, 10:45 PM
(06-11-2015 10:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's cheaper to eat out than to eat in for me. $3 for a meal at the food court. Although I spent $400 on a meal for two on Wednesday evening.

The Yank I was with was ordering hairy crab and damn fine wine and was a bit shocked when I told him that it's against my personal ethics to claim for food on expenses (even though I am entitled to do so).

I have an empty fridge. No point buying stuff that will be rotten by the time I get back home to use it.

I average one meal per day and that is usually at a hotel with students so it's paid for.

It's hard to guess but maybe around $4,000 per year. Maybe double that when I have flat-mates and keep the fridge stocked.

Consider

When I lived in China it was much the same way. So long a I avoided the tourist traps, eating out was so ridiculously cheap that cooking wasn't an economically rational use of my time. The equivalent of about $20 per hour was far from rich by home standards, but when I could go into the noodle shop and get a bowl of ridiculously awesome sheep ramen for less than a dollar, or go into a hot pot restaurant and have a 2 hour multi course feast for $20 or $30 split 6 ways, why bother cooking?

Yeah, we'd go to the Outback Steakhouse in Beijing on occasion when we were feeling homesick and dump $40 on a meal.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post