Poll: How much do you trust the government?
100%
99-80%
79-60%
59-40%
39-20%
19-1%
0%
[Show Results]

How much do you trust the government?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 10:57 AM
RE: How much do you trust the government?
It's... rather a vague question, no?

Do you mean to ask, how much do I trust the institutions of my government(s)? Well - I'm certainly not expecting a military coup any time soon. I expect rule of law to keep on trucking. Our next elections will be free and fair...

Do you mean to ask, do I trust the present government(s)? If so, then how? To do what I might like? To do what they promise? To tell the truth in all matters at all times? No spokesperson for any organisation ever has done that...

So, you see, I'm not quite sure how to interpret the question.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 11:17 AM
So there are some people asking for clarity, that is fine.

The question is "How much do you trust the government". I am looking for "gut reactions" answers. The first answer that pops into your head. The question is not a breakdown of who, why, what, where and when.

You can of course answer the question and then break down why with assimilating what government is and how it operates in your opinion. This is something that I initially wanted to avoid because by rights discussion about government should be in the politics section.

This is just an opinion poll. If you have no opinion or cannot answer the question then do not vote.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
02-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I have very little faith in the United States government. The whole system has really become a joke. The politicians just do whatever is in their own best interests, or whoever pays them the most money. What is best for the people of this country, and what is morally right are completely irrelevant to them. Of course, they have no reason to give a shit about the people they are supposed to be working for because they are allowed to live in a fantasy world where they are basically immune to anything they do to fuck over the rest of the country. They make six-figure salaries, which even if they only serve one term, they will get that salary for the rest of their lives. They have unlimited sick days, and aren't even required to show up for work to get paid. Republicans always bitch that the government should not be responsible for providing health care to the people, all while they get top-notch health care paid for by American tax dollars. They don't give a flying fuck about the people they are supposed to be working for, so why should I have any trust in them to do the right thing? The only time they prove themselves to do the right thing is when it is in their own best interests as well. Otherwise, they don't give a shit.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
02-02-2014, 03:47 PM
(02-02-2014 03:44 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I have very little faith in the United States government. The whole system has really become a joke. The politicians just do whatever is in their own best interests, or whoever pays them the most money. What is best for the people of this country, and what is morally right are completely irrelevant to them. Of course, they have no reason to give a shit about the people they are supposed to be working for because they are allowed to live in a fantasy world where they are basically immune to anything they do to fuck over the rest of the country. They make six-figure salaries, which even if they only serve one term, they will get that salary for the rest of their lives. They have unlimited sick days, and aren't even required to show up for work to get paid. Republicans always bitch that the government should not be responsible for providing health care to the people, all while they get top-notch health care paid for by American tax dollars. They don't give a flying fuck about the people they are supposed to be working for, so why should I have any trust in them to do the right thing? The only time they prove themselves to do the right thing is when it is in their own best interests as well. Otherwise, they don't give a shit.

I have less trust in the American people.

You elected a guy who lied you into a long and bloody war in Iraq

............. and then reelected him.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
02-02-2014, 03:59 PM
(02-02-2014 03:47 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I have less trust in the American people.

Thats not entirely true, Bush Jr didnt win the popular vote the second time around, it was the electroral college vote that was bought and paid for that got him back in.

And you need to remember that here, its always the lesser of the two evils that gets in.

Tho, in all fairness most of the people are ill informed and easily swayed by bullshit.
02-02-2014, 04:02 PM
(02-02-2014 03:59 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 03:47 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I have less trust in the American people.

Thats not entirely true, Bush Jr didnt win the popular vote the second time around, it was the electroral college vote that was bought and paid for that got him back in.

An... interesting claim. Since it was the 2000 election which produced a popular vote electoral college mismatch. Notwithstanding the whole 'lies' claim is generally the province of cranks and madmen.

I am perpetually surprised by the frankly bizarre conspiracies associated with ol' W. Is it not enough just to dislike the man's competence or policies? Why go the step too far in criticism?

02-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Sorry but Bush and Cheney brought this country to its knees for their own ego, self serving pupose. Not to mention Bush was a dunce to the tenth power, the family gave him the office on a silver plater.

Worst president ever, and a religitard to top it off. I'd even go as far as to say, worse than Carter.

But this is just my opinion, and the guy we got now hasnt made me all to happy, even tho I voted for the guy 2 times...... again, the lesser of two evils. Confused
02-02-2014, 04:25 PM
(02-02-2014 04:17 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Sorry but Bush and Cheney brought this country to its knees for their own ego, self serving pupose. Not to mention Bush was a dunce to the tenth power, the family gave him the office on a silver plater.

No, sure, that's fine so far as opinions go.

But "I don't like what they did" is not at all equivalent to "they lied to the country and cheated the electoral college". There's a difference.

(02-02-2014 04:17 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Worst president ever, and a religitard to top it off. I'd even go as far as to say, worse than Carter.

Whoa, now. I gotta stop you there. Carter was your most farsighted president by a lightyear. I grant he was not always the best at congressional politicking, and he certainly got pitched some outsider curveballs during his tenure, but still.

(02-02-2014 04:17 PM)War Horse Wrote:  But this is just my opinion, and the guy we got now hasnt made me all to happy, even tho I voted for the guy 2 times...... again, the lesser of two evils. Confused

Fair enough.
Big Grin

02-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Trust them to do what?

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
02-02-2014, 11:44 PM
I can say without a doubt that the first few years of the 21st century have been marked with growing mistrust of the American government.

If we look further back though, mistrust in the government began to shape even earlier, back to when JFK was assassinated, perhaps even earlier than that. Polls, even recent ones, that are directed to Americans, show that a vast majority, (approximately 60-65%), do not support the lone gunman theory.

Now, in the present, it's hard to imagine a citizen to be so gullible and naive that they still trust the government wholeheartedly, especially since this whole NSA scandal has just been revealed.

A few days ago, I was listening to Obama's state of the union address regarding the NSA, and not surprisingly, nobody anymore bought into the bullshit excuses for why there's so much unnecessary worldwide surveillance on anyone, anywhere. People now are starting to see right through the lies the government is attempting to feed them, and I'm just worried if this could create something like another civil war. Protests are already happening, and while I admittedly somewhat remain incredulous that it might escalate like so, it doesn't seem too far fetched anymore...

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.