Poll: How much do you trust the government?
100%
99-80%
79-60%
59-40%
39-20%
19-1%
0%
[Show Results]

How much do you trust the government?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 11:57 PM
RE: How much do you trust the government?
(02-02-2014 11:44 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I can say without a doubt that the first few years of the 21st century have been marked with growing mistrust of the American government.

If we look further back though, mistrust in the government began to shape even earlier, back to when JFK was assassinated, perhaps even earlier than that. Polls, even recent ones, that are directed to Americans, show that a vast majority, (approximately 60-65%), do not support the lone gunman theory.

Now, in the present, it's hard to imagine a citizen to be so gullible and naive that they still trust the government wholeheartedly, especially since this whole NSA scandal has just been revealed.

A few days ago, I was listening to Obama's state of the union address regarding the NSA, and not surprisingly, nobody anymore bought into the bullshit excuses for why there's so much unnecessary worldwide surveillance on anyone, anywhere. People now are starting to see right through the lies the government is attempting to feed them, and I'm just worried if this could create something like another civil war. Protests are already happening, and while I admittedly somewhat remain incredulous that it might escalate like so, it doesn't seem too far fetched anymore...

The end is near! Big Grin

...of course, it always is.

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 12:03 AM
I trust the government only insofar as their apathy, laziness, and incompetence interferes with their malicious intent.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
03-02-2014, 08:08 PM
(02-02-2014 03:47 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 03:44 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I have very little faith in the United States government. The whole system has really become a joke. The politicians just do whatever is in their own best interests, or whoever pays them the most money. What is best for the people of this country, and what is morally right are completely irrelevant to them. Of course, they have no reason to give a shit about the people they are supposed to be working for because they are allowed to live in a fantasy world where they are basically immune to anything they do to fuck over the rest of the country. They make six-figure salaries, which even if they only serve one term, they will get that salary for the rest of their lives. They have unlimited sick days, and aren't even required to show up for work to get paid. Republicans always bitch that the government should not be responsible for providing health care to the people, all while they get top-notch health care paid for by American tax dollars. They don't give a flying fuck about the people they are supposed to be working for, so why should I have any trust in them to do the right thing? The only time they prove themselves to do the right thing is when it is in their own best interests as well. Otherwise, they don't give a shit.

I have less trust in the American people.

You elected a guy who lied you into a long and bloody war in Iraq

............. and then reelected him.

I never voted for him. I'm trying to convince my wife to get out of here and move to Europe. I have no faith in the U.S. government, and this country is quickly turning into a police state.

BTW Bush lost the popular vote to Gore. It was the system that elected Bush, not the people.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
(01-02-2014 12:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I put 80-99%. But politics here is very different to the rest of the world and our corruption levels are the lowest in the world.

In saying that, trust them how?
I took it as meaning trust them to run the country.

You are in Welly if I remember correctly. I think the thing is that we have much greater access to them. They aren't remote figureheads. You would have to live the most boring life imaginable to try and harm a NZ politician so you see them out all over the show. My local MP is the shizzle. He could be making a metric fuckton of money in Hong Kong but he would rather use his skills to make our country a better place. I'd buy that man a beer.