How much does or should a politica/economic system incfluence science?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2012, 04:13 AM
How much does or should a politica/economic system incfluence science?
Every economic/political structure in society has influenced science for good or for bad, but what about the current one? Has capitalism sufficiently allowed science to flourish for good or bad?

I believe that science has basically opened it's ass cheeks to mr capitalism. How much money is spent on scientific projects that could help humans vs the ones that make taste buds taste something more, make your cock bigger, make weapons etc etc.

Should science even have a moralistic approach? meaning, should science have a goal of helping vs harming people?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2012, 04:58 AM
RE: How much does or should a politica/economic system incfluence science?
(16-11-2012 04:13 AM)I and I Wrote:  Every economic/political structure in society has influenced science for good or for bad, but what about the current one? Has capitalism sufficiently allowed science to flourish for good or bad?

I believe that science has basically opened it's ass cheeks to mr capitalism. How much money is spent on scientific projects that could help humans vs the ones that make taste buds taste something more, make your cock bigger, make weapons etc etc.

Should science even have a moralistic approach? meaning, should science have a goal of helping vs harming people?
I'd suggest that you should replace the word "science" with the word "scientist" or "researcher" in your text, after the first paragraph.
Science, as a system to organize knowledge in the form of testable explanations [thank you Wikipedia] is neutral in that it is entirely dependant on the input of data from those practicing the discipline. Therefore it's the choices made by scientists as to what to study that will determine the fields in which discoveries are made.

I agree that much of the money being invested into research is done in the pursuit of profit. That doesn't mean that nothing good (ie. useful to improve the lives of the general world population) come out of it. There are also Countries and organisations that continue to fund fundamental research for it's own sake.

So my answer to your question is : don't judge the morality of Science, judge the morality of humans.
16-11-2012, 11:35 PM
RE: How much does or should a politica/economic system incfluence science?
(16-11-2012 04:58 AM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 04:13 AM)I and I Wrote:  Every economic/political structure in society has influenced science for good or for bad, but what about the current one? Has capitalism sufficiently allowed science to flourish for good or bad?

I'd suggest that you should replace the word "science" with the word "scientist" or "researcher" in your text, after the first paragraph.
Science, as a system to organize knowledge in the form of testable explanations [thank you Wikipedia] is neutral in that it is entirely dependant on the input of data from those practicing the discipline. Therefore it's the choices made by scientists as to what to study that will determine the fields in which discoveries are made.

I agree that much of the money being invested into research is done in the pursuit of profit. That doesn't mean that nothing good (ie. useful to improve the lives of the general world population) come out of it. There are also Countries and organisations that continue to fund fundamental research for it's own sake.

So my answer to your question is : don't judge the morality of Science, judge the morality of humans.
I'd agree here. And often times the research that is done has both good and bad results. Nuclear power is a good thing in my point of view--nuclear weapons much less so. Vasodialators for your wee wee is big business and is arguably not the best way to spend sparse health care dollars. But vasodialators also save lives for people with congestive heart failure. Even if the motive behind the research is materialistic, someone interested in a more altruistic outcome could build on the research for their own purposes.