How much hate would I get writing a book with a secular history of the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
RE: How much hate would I get writing a book with a secular history of the bible
(04-03-2014 01:22 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Explaining how Protestant Christianity started in the 1500s, How Orthodox Christianity started in the 1000s, how Catholicism started in the 4th century, How Judaism started way before that, etc. etc.

How much hate would I get?

You probably wouldn't get to much hate mail, even if your book got big.

If you make any shots at Islam though, from what I've heard, ready yerself for threats a-plenty.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 07:13 AM
RE: How much hate would I get writing a book with a secular history of the bible
(04-03-2014 01:22 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Explaining how Protestant Christianity started in the 1500s, How Orthodox Christianity started in the 1000s, how Catholicism started in the 4th century, How Judaism started way before that, etc. etc.

Not much. People have to know about it to hate it.
04-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Actually they were arguing about who was "orthodox" (and who was not), long before 1000, and the roots of Protestantism were in place before the 1500's. There are some seriously eminent historians that will smash you to pieces if you make even the smallest error. You better be sure you actually know what you're talking about, or it will be dismissed as bunk. Believers will go after it for sure, (so what, except if it's anti-Islam, you better blind it somehow, those people are insane), but so will any academic who thinks you've written errors, cuz that's what they're paid to do. If you're an amateur, I would think twice, OR, submit it to a panel of experts.
If you don't don't even KNOW a panel of experts, you're up shit creek. If you plan on a "pop" level overview, .. meh, why waste your time ? The information is available to anyone who is interested. If they're not interested, they're not gonna buy it anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-03-2014, 07:40 AM

Probably a lot but you should do it anyway.
04-03-2014, 08:01 AM

There are a bajillion people that have done this very thing. I would say zero hate.

The only way you would get hate if if you got to be well known and did tours and speeches and such. Other than that, you wouldn't be important enough to get hate.

Sorry. Just how it works.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-03-2014, 08:09 AM
(04-03-2014 01:44 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  It's not published quite yet, but surprisingly there hasn't been a lot of hate so far. Heaps of thumbs up on Facebook and my webpage. I've had the odd bit of hate mail from the "fly by" Christian, but they usually can't spell or present a coherent argument.

In all fairness, I know several Christians who are fairly well versed in church history and the history of the Bible. I know several that acknowledge the influences of Zoroastrianism on Christianity. At the end of the day, they simply take a less-than-literal view of the Bible.

So, they're not all poorly-educated fundies, and you will likely get a good amount of thumbs-up from actual Christians who don't completely abhor facts.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-03-2014, 08:24 AM
(04-03-2014 08:09 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 01:44 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  It's not published quite yet, but surprisingly there hasn't been a lot of hate so far. Heaps of thumbs up on Facebook and my webpage. I've had the odd bit of hate mail from the "fly by" Christian, but they usually can't spell or present a coherent argument.

In all fairness, I know several Christians who are fairly well versed in church history and the history of the Bible. I know several that acknowledge the influences of Zoroastrianism on Christianity. At the end of the day, they simply take a less-than-literal view of the Bible.

So, they're not all poorly-educated fundies, and you will likely get a good amount of thumbs-up from actual Christians who don't completely abhor facts.

More or less where I stand.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-03-2014, 09:09 AM
(04-03-2014 08:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  More or less where I stand.

My wife, too. Well, I don't know if she knows about Zoroastrianism, but I know that several people in her church do, and they're fairly well educated.
04-03-2014, 03:21 PM
(04-03-2014 08:09 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

Yes, I've noticed this...in fact a lot of it. It's pleasing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2014, 03:26 PM

What does label have to do with the same universal reaction to the skeptic pulling back the curtain? If you are Toto the scam artist will always hate you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user