How much of your mind/personality would survive a mind transfer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2015, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 10:56 PM by Erikjust.)
How much of your mind/personality would survive a mind transfer.
Okay i don´t know if it´s the best description of the subject but here goes.
In a Magic Sandwich Show, AronRa mentioned along the lines of that the very idea of a soul surviving with the users mind completely as it was in life was absurd, because much of what makes the human mind isn´t just electrical signals in the brain but also a mixture of chemicals and hormones in the body.

So let´s take a common horror trope that of a mad scientist placing his mind in either a computer or in a child´s body.

So if we go with the fact that the scientist has somehow found a way of doing this, completely transfer his mind from one body to another.
For the sake of reason let´s say he manages to transfer all his experience and memories and completely erases the hosts mind (or in chase of a computer a blank hard drive).

From a scientific standpoint given what we know about the human mind and how the body affects it and such.

How much would the scientists personality and mind resemble that of his old self and what parts of his personality would change and how?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2015, 11:27 PM
RE: How much of your mind/personality would survive a mind transfer.
Since there is no way to answer this, I'd speculate that whatever remained of the mind would probably be insane.
07-02-2015, 02:09 AM
Maybe but i don´t think so.
Insanity might be due to feelings of entrapment like maybe a constant itch you can´t scratch.
However i think for that to happen you would need to have adrenaline and other fluids that help fuel emotions.
If you where just in a sense data you wouldn´t have those things, sure you would have memories of being hungry, afraid, angry and such.
However that would be all you have, that and your intelligence.
I think that a mind in a computer would be very straight forward and emotions would have to be something that would have to be simulated rather then felt.

As for a child i would say that since a child's mind and body is wired different then an adults mind we might see something like a child trying to act adult.
Constantly have to think about acting adult.

Sure he would have access to the same feelings, but things like sexuality wouldn´t be something that would enter into his mind as those chemicals aren´t produced yet and the body isn´t geared towards it.

Just my guess again i don´t know how much of ones emotions is tied solely to the brain and how much is of the bodies doing.
Which is what i am asking, by setting up this hypothetical scenario, how much of what makes you you is tied to your brain and how much is tied to your body.
07-02-2015, 06:49 AM
(06-02-2015 11:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  Since there is no way to answer this, I'd speculate that whatever remained of the mind would probably be insane.

When was yours transferred pablo? Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
07-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Hasnt been done yet, so we dont know.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
07-02-2015, 07:30 AM
There is a real problem in that you have no empty brain to transfer it to.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2015, 08:05 AM
(07-02-2015 07:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is a real problem in that you have no empty brain to transfer it to.

Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron,.... there's plenty of empty brains available...

Since we don't have any way of testing this process we can only extrapolate from what we do see that might be similar. Accidents cause damage to the body which can change the person's outlook and personality. Drugs make changes that can be reflected in personality. These are often temporary but after a mind transfer the stimulus mix would never go back to what was normal before the transfer.

The biggest issue I see would be that every brain has unique "wiring" so the mind being transferred would find itself in a very different physical structure as well as being affected by different electrical and chemical patterns. Even if you could somehow preserve the memories intact I suspect that it would effectively be a new person.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-02-2015, 08:35 AM
My ignorant 2 cents: I think even the hormonal/chemical interactions could be recreated if the brain scan and simulation technologies were sufficiently advanced. Then question is, how much of that would you actually want to simulate? Our minds are seriously flawed, leading to all kinds of biases and failures to reason properly. If we fixed them, you're not really "you" anymore. But is it ethical to recreate something flawed and potentially dangerous if it's something that's fixable?

I'm just thinking out loud.
07-02-2015, 11:06 AM
(06-02-2015 10:50 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  ...because much of what makes the human mind isn´t just electrical signals in the brain but also a mixture of chemicals and hormones in the body.

Yabut, wouldn't the "new body" produce chemicals and hormones too? Consider

The answer is simple if you consider the body an important factor, since a person's body can drastically change in a matter of seconds even from irrelevant reasons, from hormonal treatments to dismemberments.

If you're thinking hormones and chemicals, imagine someone receiving hormones and having mood swings or having a disease that changes the levels of a bunch of chemicals in their body.

(Alternatively, think about the fact that brain tumors can actually change someone's personality.)

I don't think a "personality change" would go far from that.

Realizing you are in another body and all is a bit more complicated, but then again, think of all the people who have been horribly disfigured by accidents and they don't even recognize their reflection anymore.

Conclusion, would one feel different if their mind was transferred to another body? Definitely. Would their personality change? Probably. What would actually happen? No one knows.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
07-02-2015, 11:42 AM
(07-02-2015 06:49 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 11:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  Since there is no way to answer this, I'd speculate that whatever remained of the mind would probably be insane.

When was yours transferred pablo? Angel

I went for the bargain brain, one time use, non-transferable.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post