How often do you read a book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2012, 01:40 PM
How often do you read a book?
I was wondering how often you read a book just for the pleasure of reading or learning something new. Like something out of your comfort zone. I try to read a new book every week. I may not get all the science out of it but I do try to research and learn what the author is teaching. I have failed miserably at times but other times I learned new concepts I never thought of. Just wondering!!!

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
26-03-2012, 02:04 PM
RE: How often do you read a book?
Not often enough. I used to read a book every couple of days, sometimes two or three at a time.
Now I'm lucky to read one a month. My interests are too ADHD. I jump from wanting to do one thing to doing another sometimes mid thing. I think that's probably why I learned how to read very quickly, otherwise I'd never finish a book.
Like you, when I'm reading something with some science in it, I can sometimes get lost and have to look it up, that's how we learn, and really that's what makes us different from theists in the first place. When we don't know we find out.

Right now I've got 11 books lined up waiting for me to read them and two audiobooks waiting for me to listen to them.
Instead I'm doing this lol.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
26-03-2012, 02:04 PM
What do you mean outside of your comfort zone? If you'd see the terms I google up or search on Wikipedia... They're all over the place, from quantum physics and astronomy to zoology, obscure cultural phenomena and chemical compounds. (if I get curious what's in that broken hand warmer I have and if it's ecologically safe to burn it) Hell, I use the net as my seventh sense.

But I suppose you mean books like Daniel J. Levitin's This Is Your Brain on Music. It's brilliant although diffcult for someone who doesn't know musical theory. It explained me a lot of what's going on when I'm tripping on Shpongle.

Other than that, I usually search the books in audio and then listen to them when I'm off the comp. I've "read" lots of Dawkins that way. My Kindle is mostly reserved for sci-fi.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
26-03-2012, 02:07 PM
(26-03-2012 02:04 PM)Luminon Wrote:  What do you mean outside of your comfort zone? If you'd see the terms I google up or search on Wikipedia... They're all over the place, from quantum physics and astronomy to zoology, obscure cultural phenomena and chemical compounds. (if I get curious what's in that broken hand warmer I have and if it's ecologically safe to burn it) Hell, I use the net as my seventh sense.

But I suppose you mean books like Daniel J. Levitin's This Is Your Brain on Music. It's brilliant although diffcult for someone who doesn't know musical theory. It explained me a lot of what's going on when I'm tripping on Shpongle.

Other than that, I usually search the books in audio and then listen to them when I'm off the comp. I've "read" lots of Dawkins that way. My Kindle is mostly reserved for sci-fi.
My out of comfort zone is science with quantum Physics. I get lost so fast my eyes spin.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
26-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I always plan to read this and that and so I keep getting books and my bookshelf is getting bigger but most of the time I am not patient enough to keep reading, so I start a book and I want to keep reading but it ends up back in the shelf.

When I was younger I always had a book with me and would read whenever I could, but not anymore.

At least it is not wasted money because most books I get are second hand anyway, so I don't pay much more than 1 Euro per book.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
26-03-2012, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 04:11 PM by Luminon.)
(26-03-2012 02:07 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  My out of comfort zone is science with quantum Physics. I get lost so fast my eyes spin.
I understand what you mean. Apparently before I didn't delve in too deep to be uncomfortable. But then I met the QUANTUM COMPUTER. Apparently, there are two types of them today. One is huge, 10 cubic meters or something, size of a room and cooled by liquid nitrogen to stay superconductive. There's one chip with about 100 quantum bits (qubits) and one computer costs 10 million bucks. And yet it sells, some companies use it on optical image recognition (probably to stalk us on our webcameras and search for terrorists Cool ). The website is full of extremely mind-boggling and crazy equations, diagrams and schemes that I can't even remotely begin to comprehend. I only regret that they don't say how many GHz this processor has. But apparently, quantum computers aren't that fast after all.

The other quantum computer isn't usable yet but it's actually a small chip (not room) that operates under room temperatures and uses photons. It can now run two photons at once, which means 100 possible states.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
26-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I always have at least one book that I am reading...sometimes two or three so that I can switch depending on my mood. I like fiction and non. Sometimes a topic interests me and I will read a lot about it and then move on to something else that catches my interest. Now and then I find an author or series I like and will read everything I can get my hands on. I also take college classes so I have that going too. That pushes me to read things I might not otherwise pick up.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Oh, very often. I used to read about one or two books a month, since I hate libraries (well, not libraries per se - I hate *not having books* xD) and books are rather expensive for my student wallet. But since I bought an e-reader, I read as much as two books a week, depending on the size. I'm a real bibliophile with lots of free time, heh.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
26-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I always have a stack and am reading 2 or 3 at all times. If by out of your comfort zone you mean beyond my math abilities it would be Quantum Mechanics. I have started to branch out from science, politics and history and have been getting into Russian literature. I think Brothers Karamazov is the best piece of fiction I've every read.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I am always reading something. I like to have two books on the go - one fiction and one non, depending on my mood. The hardest book I've ever had to understand (because of my crappy math skills) was 'The God Particle' by Leon Lederman. I think it partially labotomised me! Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)