How old does the bible say the Earth is?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2016, 05:08 AM
RE: How old does the bible say the Earth is?
(12-03-2016 12:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 11:34 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Why would this be at all? Did not God tell moses these dates and figures to account down in the 1st 5 books of the torah? Why would he tell him details of creation in day accounts if to say those are different from then counting the days of x person lived x years and onward until his time.

The "days" of creation do not have to be 24 hours each. There's nothing to say that they must be. The Jewish calendar only counts the time since Adam, and Adam was not the first human to walk the earth. So... Jews simply have a different understanding of the story of creation than Christians do.

After Adam is the period of time concerning our history. -And I realize that atheists don't accept biblical history, but that's still the reason for the split in the calendar.

You realize that fudging the definition of "days" is silly, right? The proto-Bedouins who wrote that stuff didn't have a cosmic vision of "days", they meant DAYS.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2016, 05:27 AM
(13-03-2016 03:29 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 11:38 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Bishop Ussher calculated the creation of the Universe as being at 6:30 PM, October 24, 4004 BC.

What time zone?

And why 6:30 pm ? Fuck that, it should be 18:30.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
13-03-2016, 05:32 AM
(13-03-2016 05:27 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(13-03-2016 03:29 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  What time zone?

And why 6:30 pm ? Fuck that, it should be 18:30.

That would be "Fertile Crescent" time zone, I think. (Daylight savings not in effect.)

As for the 24 hour clock, I have no idea what kind of chronometers Yhwh uses.

Smartass
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-03-2016, 06:01 AM
The point is though that in 1650 Ussher calculated the age of the Earth at a time when we hadn't clue 1 about how old it really was. In that respect, it was a brilliant piece of 'science' in that he used the available evidence at the time, the bible. To use 'the begats' in the bible, as someone put it, was ingenious.

But just like all good science, it moves on, and more accurate and more informed methods evolve.

The problem is, people sometimes don't and remain fixed in the past.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
13-03-2016, 06:05 AM
(13-03-2016 06:01 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  The point is though that in 1650 Ussher calculated the age of the Earth at a time when we hadn't clue 1 about how old it really was. In that respect, it was a brilliant piece of 'science' in that he used the available evidence at the time, the bible. To use 'the begats' in the bible, as someone put it, was ingenious.

But just like all good science, it moves on, and more accurate and more informed methods evolve.

The problem is, people sometimes don't and remain fixed in the past.
It was also monumentally "confirmation bias". The Elders lived long lives, but you find nothing in the Bible about them after they would have been 70 years old or so. The resource pool of several thousand years combined experience would have been something very noteworthy, but we never hear of a great-grandson of Noah (who is now head man) asking the old guy for advice.

If Ussher hadn't been blind to that glaring plot hole he wouldn't have bothered toting the years up, he'd have known that somebody was lying somewhere.
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-03-2016, 08:02 AM
And in a related story - we're shocked to find out that Darth Vader is really older than Superman..................................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-03-2016, 08:55 AM
(13-03-2016 05:08 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 12:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The "days" of creation do not have to be 24 hours each. There's nothing to say that they must be. The Jewish calendar only counts the time since Adam, and Adam was not the first human to walk the earth. So... Jews simply have a different understanding of the story of creation than Christians do.

After Adam is the period of time concerning our history. -And I realize that atheists don't accept biblical history, but that's still the reason for the split in the calendar.

You realize that fudging the definition of "days" is silly, right? The proto-Bedouins who wrote that stuff didn't have a cosmic vision of "days", they meant DAYS.

I don't think I'm fudging it, though.

Yom (Hebrew: יום‎) is a Biblical Hebrew word which occurs in the Hebrew Bible (or Old Testament). The Arabic equivalent is "yawm" or "yōm" written as يوم.

Although it is commonly rendered as day in English translations, the word yom has several literal definitions: [1]

Period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness),
Period of twenty-four hours
General term for time
Point of time
Sunrise to sunset
Sunset to next sunset
A year (in the plural; I Sam 27:7; Ex 13:10, etc.)
Time period of unspecified length.
A long, but finite span of time - age - epoch - season.
13-03-2016, 09:07 AM
(13-03-2016 08:55 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-03-2016 05:08 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You realize that fudging the definition of "days" is silly, right? The proto-Bedouins who wrote that stuff didn't have a cosmic vision of "days", they meant DAYS.

I don't think I'm fudging it, though.

Yom (Hebrew: יום‎) is a Biblical Hebrew word which occurs in the Hebrew Bible (or Old Testament). The Arabic equivalent is "yawm" or "yōm" written as يوم.

Although it is commonly rendered as day in English translations, the word yom has several literal definitions: [1]

Period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness),
Period of twenty-four hours
General term for time
Point of time
Sunrise to sunset
Sunset to next sunset
A year (in the plural; I Sam 27:7; Ex 13:10, etc.)
Time period of unspecified length.
A long, but finite span of time - age - epoch - season.

That's fudge, dark and brown.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
13-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Hmm. I would expect that an omnipotent god would have been able to figure out a way to convey the information without confusion. A being advanced enough to create DNA, but relied on the bible.

In other words, it looks exactly like a bunch of semi-literate barbarians scribbled down corrupted oral traditions from an earlier culture.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-03-2016, 09:14 AM
(13-03-2016 09:07 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That's fudge, dark and brown.

It's dark and brown, but there ain't no fudge involved...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky