How open are you about your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-07-2010, 02:14 PM

How open are you about your atheism?
I'm EXTREMELY open about it. I try not to destroy relationships but it's just how I feel about it.

What about all of you?
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2010, 03:33 PM
RE: How open are you about your atheism?
i dont show it in any way, if somebody asks about my ''beliefs'' or what is my religion i tell that i have no beliefs and i have no religion and i dont worship any gods.

an extreme example of me not showing my atheism was last autumm when i went with my father on a local churches lapland trip. i soon realized that i was on a bus full of old school christians and i was the only atheist there, and also the only one under the age of 40.Smile i was afraid that somebody would notice that i dont pray, attend ardors or in some other way would see that im a godless person.
why did i go on a trip like that? because it was important for my debressed father, i want to see the world and i love lapland, its so flat here in south but lapland is full of vaaras and fjelds. and my fellow travellers thought that i was one of the most well behaving and nicest youngsters they had met:Dwhat would they have thought if they knew i was a non-believer...Smile

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I am open about it. I mean just about everyone I know, understands that I am an atheist
11-07-2010, 04:38 PM

I'm open, in your face, constant debate type atheist. At least I used to be. I've backed my friends into logical corners so many times, but it never converts them, so what's the point?

I've nearly gotten suspended, and since then, haven't really confronted people, although I am still unapologetically open about it. I live in Massachusetts, a pretty liberal state. I have plenty of company among the youth.
11-07-2010, 04:44 PM

I tell people that i'm an atheist if they ask, and debate them if they try to give me a hard time about it. But i don't bother with rubbing it in people's faces or wear a big sign around my neck saying "atheist".
11-07-2010, 05:15 PM
i was thinking, how many people who i know actually know im an atheist? im quite surpriced of how little know:
only my mother, father, sister, brother and my 2 friends know im an atheist, everyone else i know thinks im a christianConfused
but how many of them are atheists? my brother is an atheist, and i would also count my friends as atheists, even thought im not sure about it as i dont think they even think of religion or science, at least theyre not interested in talking about them, but it doesnt mean they wouldnt think about it...
damn, i gotta start expressing myself, i dont want people to think im a believer, why havent i ever thought of this before...

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
12-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't hide it or anything, but I don't go around broadcasting it, either. Not because I'm scared of rejection or anything - I just don't see the point, really. Don't care enough.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
12-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not very open, but I'm getting there. I'm in a weird spot really. I'm surrounded by theists, Christians in particular. Basically when the subject comes up (as long as it's not really directed at me) I just decline to comment. It's rare that someone asks what my beliefs are, as I think everyone around here just assumes that we're all Christians and go to church and whatever.

What's really funny is that there's lots of people in my wife's church and some of our family members that know I'm an atheist because she deemed it necessary to give them that knowledge, I guess so they can all pray for me. But almost none of them have actually asked me anything or spoken to me about it.

About the only responses I've received are one I previously mentioned a while back from her pastor, who failed to even respond to the question I posed him. And I recently was joking around on my facebook wall about answering and sending in a Scientology personality test I had gotten, and one of my family friends (whose husband is a pastor) posted what I can only assume is a drunken ramble about how God loves me and created all this for a reason (I say drunken because of a few typos and weird phrasing).

*sigh*

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Hello all

Brand new to this site and just registered. Hope I'm not breaking any "new guy" etiquette by responding already, but I found this topic very interesting.

Depending on the audience, I tend to be circumspect. I try not to throw my beliefs (and lack thereof) in people's faces, much the same way I don't want other people to throw their beliefs in mine. I will most often say I'm more an "agnostic" than an atheist because I find it's just easier. Again, depends on the audience. I am starting to get more open, and even argumentative about it, though. I'm naturally one to debate things and generally do not shy way from a good argument. I'm not out to offend people, but I find more often than not that religious people are far less worried about my feelings on an issue. So, I'm starting to care less and less.

Anyway, this was also my way of saying "hello". I look forward to hanging around as time permits and reading what you all have to say. I just read the one thread about how atheists are responsible for 9/11 and I'm hoping we see more of that guy. From a pure entertainment perspective he will make it worth coming back here.

Peace!

Out!

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM

I try not to be an ass about it, I really don't, because I don't want to seem like the bad guy. But I can't stand what I see all the time. That's never an excuse, but it's just how I feel.