How open are you about your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-07-2010, 02:46 PM

RE: How open are you about your atheism?
I live Lynchburg, VA, also known as the Fallwell-town and there's literally a church on any street with more than two houses on it..me and my sister are both really open about our atheism at school/facebook/around adults and all that, though we've been successfully keeping the rest of our family, who are pretty conservative catholics, out of the loop for a few years now. I don't push my believes on anyone, as I'm not the most talkative or aggressive guy around, but I will gladly debate with zombie-worshipers to defend my beliefs.
Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I am 100% open about being an atheist. I have never felt the need to hide it. That being said, it is a topic I very rarely discuss. Few people, aside from those close to me, know I am an atheist. That is simply because religion, god, the flying spaghetti monster, and all those other theist things are an insignificant part of my life. Other than on this site, I find my beliefs rarely enter into conversation, and if they do, it's with regard to morality not theism.
I have encountered a couple situations where I regretted the topic coming up (see my first post on this site! lol) but if it's realavent, I am never opposed to telling someone I am an atheist. I am proud to be sane!!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2010, 06:56 PM

I need to be very careful about my atheism. I'm a teacher at a rural high school in the buckle of the Bible Belt. The school board would find some excuse to get rid of me if they found out I'm an atheist.
My Army Reserve unit is aware of my atheism. The unit chaplain actually checks on me from time to time to see if I'm catching any flack for being an atheist. I only speak out against theism when everyone stops working and runs off to the chapel service on Sunday. Very frustrating.

Outside of the Army and my small community? I'm very open. I often confront and debate godbotherers making asses of themselves in public. Much fun.
21-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Depends.

Online, Facebook, etc., with all my 'Likes', Virtual Bookshelf, and love of Christopher Hitchens it's pretty obvious. Some family has noticed and called me on it, but they all consider me to be an intentionally controversial button-pusher and probably think this is just another rebellious phase. The ones who know I've done my homework (and know on some level I consider them intellectually dishonest and inferior) tolerate some talk but won't openly discuss it with me. My occasional comments are met with stony silence and a faraway gaze.

With my friend who believes with her whole heart that her god is helping cure her breast cancer by prayer, I shut my mouth and hope she continues with her chemo.

With acquaintances in our bible-belt neighborhood, I'm low-key, politely waving off invites to various church-related activities with a smile and a thank-you.

With our supposedly "inclusive" homeschool support group I'm fairly open, fighting off the opening prayer that worked its way into our Park Day and refusing to allow a name change to something vaguely Christian. Not sure if they know I'm actually an atheist, but they sure know I'm anti-religion.

With my three real-life atheist buddies and my Jehovah's Witness friend, there's no need to hide anything, though the Witness friend's relationship consists of much deep debate.
21-07-2010, 01:22 PM

hello all, just joined here Big Grin
im pretty open with my atheism, i do my best to convert my theist friends and spread the word
22-07-2010, 08:30 PM

In business, where it could cost me $, I am cautious in how I approach the subject. In every other aspect of my life, I don't hesitate to bring it up in a positive way.
22-07-2010, 09:32 PM

The word is Integrity. That's all.
If you maintain your personal intergrity who cares if you are advertising it or OUT. Be sensitive as you always are, to who you tell, how you tell, and what you tell. Sometime I will drop the bomb in the most unlikely social situation and it creates real stimulating conversation. The believers quickly say silly stuff or show they have not even read their own holy books, then you have really accomplished something. You are out and people are thinking. If they want to challenge you, Hitchens already gave you the answer, "fortunately, I am not the one in this discussion with the burden of proof"

Kikko, my friend - do us all a favor and think before you write, and then read before you send. I'd throw you out of my freshman english lit class in 2 seconds. You are self contradictory: "i dont show it in any way, if somebody asks about my ''beliefs'' or what is my religion i tell that i have no beliefs and i have no religion and i dont worship any gods."
22-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Carbon, do yourself a favor and try to not act so nasty. Please. No one here has acted nasty towards you in any way. No need to be a snob.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-07-2010, 09:40 PM

fair enough, my apology, but the name of this page is the Thinking Atheist and I would assume the individual I pointed to would respond and not need a defender. Also I posted 7 minutes ago, no one has had time to respond.
22-07-2010, 09:53 PM
*shrugs*

I just happened to be online.

Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man...

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner