How open are you about your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-07-2010, 12:50 AM

RE: How open are you about your atheism?
I personally am very open about it, despite going to a Catholic school. They can't do anything about it; if they demand respect, I do too.

Unbeliever, is your avatar Bill Nye? It looks like him. I'd totally understand - he's an awesome guy. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Nope. I had a Bill Nye avatar for a while, but the picture looked awkward and funky. This one is H. P. Lovecraft, one of the greatest writers to ever live.

EDIT: Welcome to TTAF, by the way!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2010, 02:05 PM

hello all. i just joined today and thought this was a good thread to make my first post. i'm very passive about telling people i have no religious beliefs. i don't lie if they ask outright. but i don't just offer up the information like it's something they need to know. however, i do offer up the information to the men i date usually within the first few hours of a first date. and it's never been a problem.

my son is friends with a neighbor kid who's family is religious. i figured since the children of the neighborhood new i was an atheist, that the parents know as well. a few months ago, the neighbor kids mother asked me to go to a women's get together. all women from her church. i figured i'd go once and they wouldn't ask about my beliefs and i would be invited back. they never asked and i've never told and i've attended all these get together's since.

the last "churchy lady meeting," as i like to call them, was a swimming pool party at one of the ladies homes. the home owner, my neighbor and i all partook in a few glasses of wine while the other ladies had soda or water. i'm generally a beer drinker, but i know i had one too many. on the drive home, i ended up telling my neighbor that i am an atheist and she didn't seem bothered by it at all. then again, i don't know if i'll be invited to another one of these get together's. i hope so. because they're actually a lot of fun.

that's my story.
23-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Welcome to TTAF, thegirl!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
24-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Hello all;

Like many others, I think this is the best thread to introduce myself to this group.

I am open about my atheism, I usually and frequently post messages on my FB page about it, although I try not to debate religious people about it in real life, as most my family is sadly religious and do not want to look further into it, so I figured "why bother?"

I've been know to be a "heathen" and a "devil worshiper" after putting some people in their place about trying to force their beliefs upon me, but that's to be expected.
24-07-2010, 07:35 PM
And a welcome to you as well!

25-07-2010, 04:39 AM

No matter what anyone says, there is still a stigma attached to openly proclaiming youre an atheist, yet folk with a religious conviction can stand up in glorious exaltation shouting theirs from a rooftop.
Ive been an atheist for a very long time now and I still get that little jolt of adrenaline that I may be offending someone once I start to discuss my beliefs (do you know what I mean?). Religious people quite obviously dont get this at all and love to bludgeon us with their fictitious mantra.

I look forward to the day that all sky fairy worshippers are seen as crackpots and cranks. Thank Dog for the likes of Dawkins, Hitchens, etc who have went out of their way in recent years to openly attack the worlds religions and try to bring a bit of scientific sanity to this world.

Personally I think religious nuts need offended. They need to be told how stupid they all are. Why should we button our lips when they are allowed free reign to spread their garbage? Religious belief is a choice, its not something you cant help (like the color of your skin). Religious discrimination therefore (to me) does not exist. If I choose to worship bananas tomorrow and profess that as my holy faith, does this mean I can claim Im being discriminated against if my faith is not respected? You may say that would be a cult, but werent ALL religions a cult at one point? Christianity had to start somewhere, and at that time it would have been new and weird, and cultish. So just because the snowball effect brought the worlds major religions to what they are today does not earn them respect or recognition. The very fact that this question is being asked sums up how we all feel inside about being unwashed heathens. Get out there and scream your unbelief in the streets. Thats what I say.
26-07-2010, 03:20 PM
And a third hello!

27-07-2010, 11:14 PM
(22-07-2010 09:32 PM)CarbonUnit1 Wrote:  The word is Integrity. That's all.
If you maintain your personal intergrity who cares if you are advertising it or OUT. Be sensitive as you always are, to who you tell, how you tell, and what you tell. Sometime I will drop the bomb in the most unlikely social situation and it creates real stimulating conversation. The believers quickly say silly stuff or show they have not even read their own holy books, then you have really accomplished something. You are out and people are thinking. If they want to challenge you, Hitchens already gave you the answer, "fortunately, I am not the one in this discussion with the burden of proof"

Kikko, my friend - do us all a favor and think before you write, and then read before you send. I'd throw you out of my freshman english lit class in 2 seconds. You are self contradictory: "i dont show it in any way, if somebody asks about my ''beliefs'' or what is my religion i tell that i have no beliefs and i have no religion and i dont worship any gods."

There is no need to discredit other people due to their lack of proficiency in the English language. Kikko is a teenager who lives in a country where they don't speak English. Next time, use your teaching skills and show him how to correctly structure his sentence.
P.S. I found multiple grammar and spelling errors in your post.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
28-07-2010, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2010 10:13 AM by Kikko.)
Quote: Kikko, my friend - do us all a favor and think before you write, and then read before you send. I'd throw you out of my freshman english lit class in 2 seconds. You are self contradictory: "i dont show it in any way, if somebody asks about my ''beliefs'' or what is my religion i tell that i have no beliefs and i have no religion and i dont worship any gods."
how come i never noticed this message... i think i did think before i wrote, and i read it before i sent it, but yes, there is one thing that i didnt think about enought: that i wouldnt have no beliefs, i believe that the neanderthal humen ''mixed'' with the modern humen, not completely, but partly, but i dont have much information supporting it before the neanderhtal genom is fully discovered. but i aknowledge that i dont have much information supporting it and thats why i dont tell people that it would be a fact. sorry about a bad example, the neanderthal was the first thing that came in my mind and i havent yet came up with a better one.
i dont see how its self contradictory, is it the ''i dont show it in anyway, if...'' i really didnt notice the absolute need for the word but before if.

and aboot my language ''skills'', im very bad at learning new languages, in upper classes of basic school i tried learning german and swedish, but it didnt go very well. im fortunate enought to have the small english skills i have. when i learned to read in the 1st grade, i started learning some basic words from video games and when the english lessons started in the 3rd grade i already knew some basic sentence structure and alot of words.
still about language: i dont know anything about grammar, i have no idea what is a passive, an infinitive, a pluskvamperfect... not even in my first language, i never learned them.

i expect that your first language is a germanic language. its harder than it seems to translate finno-ugric language into germanic language, the structure of sentences and the way things are said are so different, that id really like to see you try a finno-ugric language.

small edit: does english have a difference between standard language and spoken language? and is my text really tough to understand because of unperfect grammar?(if it really is, im gonna start ''studying'' grammar)

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.