How open are you about your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-07-2010, 05:13 PM
RE: How open are you about your atheism?
(28-07-2010 08:11 AM)Kikko Wrote:  does english have a difference between standard language and spoken language?

What do you mean by this?

Quote:and is my text really tough to understand because of unperfect grammar?

Nope. Don't worry about it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:What do you mean by this?
well, here nobody speaks the same way that official documents are written and news are written/read. standard language is spoken only when making official statements (politicians and authorities). it can be figured out where someone lives/has lived their childhood by the way he/she speaks. its about dialects, everyone here speaks one and there are very many, 8 different main dialect groups which distripute into many other dialects.

so are there dialects in the english language? i know how the pronouncing is different between american english and english english, but i havent noticed anything else.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
29-07-2010, 03:05 AM

I do not want to hide it or anything, but I did not go around broadcasting, either. Not because I fear rejection or anything just do not make any sense, really. Does not care enough.
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2010, 08:14 PM

My family pretty much knows, other then my father. But I don't really go around telling people. But if someone asks I will say that I am an Atheist. So far it hasn't gone any further then that.
01-08-2010, 02:44 AM

nothing infuriates me more than a christian saying they will pray for me, just for being an atheist, not because im sick or in financial trouble, that i would understand as they think they are helping and i appreciate the kind thoughts. but the fucking NERVE of someone to slap my life choice and ideas in the face like that infuriates me. its like the short versed way of saying "oh, you're really dumb and lost, and i'm not even going to bother discussing the point with you, as i am absolutely blindly certain im right and you're wrong"...

so i dont flat out attack christians, as i am worried about causing the same feeling in them, and i don't want to purposefully upset someone for no gain, but i am open to discussion but always warn people ahead of time. I have upset my little brother's faith at least partially, and thoroughly converted 2 friends, just from making them feel idiotic through logical debate on the subject, and i really dislike doing it. i want them to think long and hard only to themselves, and arrive at this decision the logical way, not just accepting it because "woah dude youre smart n stuff"
01-08-2010, 07:05 AM

I've only managed to convert one or two skeptics into full blown atheists. It is a different story trying to convert a real religious person into even a skeptic.

Everytime I run them into a logical hole, they simply say "It's faith, man." My 8 year old cousin's justification for believing in God was that that's what everyone else thought so it must be right. Obviously, he's too young to think about these things (which is exactly why he shouldn't be brought to the temple and forced to bow down to the elephant man; Yes, I am a Hindu), so I'll wait until he's older and challenge him.
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
(28-07-2010 06:54 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:What do you mean by this?
well, here nobody speaks the same way that official documents are written and news are written/read. standard language is spoken only when making official statements (politicians and authorities).

True enough, though I do my best to use proper grammar and spelling. I think this may be a difference in the vocabulary being used rather than grammar. Legal and political speeches use different terms than religious, philosophical, and casual ones, which we have here.

Quote:it can be figured out where someone lives/has lived their childhood by the way he/she speaks. its about dialects, everyone here speaks one and there are very many, 8 different main dialect groups which distripute into many other dialects.

so are there dialects in the english language? i know how the pronouncing is different between american english and english english, but i havent noticed anything else.

Yes, there are quite a few dialects in American English. There's New England (my own accent is a blend of New England and Midwest), which tends to drop the r's and pronounce them as droning h's. For example, "car keys" sounds identical to "khakis" (in case you don't know how to pronounce "khakis", it sounds like "caa kees"). Most other American dialects tend to drop the g's out of words, at least when they show up at the end ("running" is pronounced "runnin'") and blend certain other words ("you all" becomes "yall"). The accents, words used, and inflections vary hugely across the states (a "milk shake" in the Midwest is a "chocolate frappe" in certain areas of New England).

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
18-08-2010, 12:56 AM

I have not come out about it to anyone, explicitly. Well, that not necessarily completely true. I may have told my father (can't remember). I remember him freaking out and trying to get me to believe in a god due to the uncertainty principle, and then getting stressed out because the fear of the unknown wasn't enough to make me believe in god. But then I can't be sure because my father often believes whatever he wants to, with little basis of reality. However, I think my little sister knows. She and I often discuss religious, and I come out very negative. I've told my other sister than I'm not Christian. However, religious is the only reason my mother is still alive after her stroke, so I will not upset that for her. I don't care if she's living a lie, as long as she's living.

At work, most of my coworkers are very religious. In that, staff meetings and lunches often include a prayer. I work in a public school, so it stays strictly to all staff functions, which I appreciate, but it's difficult for me. If someone asks me specifically about my religious, I make a joke or deflect the conversation. I don't lie, but I also will do everything to avoid being truthful. I'll be respectful and quiet during prayers, but during proper religious conversations that I'm privy to, my cell phone comes out and I play on the internet. I think most people I know just think I'm confused, which I'm okay with. Just if I come out as an Atheist or even Agnostic, I will be hated by almost everyone. And in my school, if you're not liked, life gets really tough for you.
18-08-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm... God, I don't really know. O_o

I guess I tend to keep it to myself for the moment. I just came out in a note on Facebook to my friends and family but I don't think everyone had seen it, of course. But most of them did. Either way, the people that I interact with most often know about it, but acquaintances don't. I guess I don't really bring it up unless it's brought up, and knowing me, I'd probably be like Pixi up here above and just deflect the question.

That is, unless it's challenged. I'm honestly a pretty easy-going guy, and that's actually how most of my friends begin to describe my personality. But I'm stubborn as an ass. =P If someone challenges me, I switch over into my detached-from-emotions mode and defend myself kung-fu style. =P But, no, aside form direct challenges, I tend to be pretty laid-back about it and not bring up something I know will start trouble. Unless I know it won't start trouble, in which case, I might be the one to bring it up. =P

But like on Facebook and stuff? My family and friends are fundies and always post up prayer requests and prayers answered and Bible verses and all that crap all the time, but it doesn't really bother me. It's weird because I mean... it really makes no sense to me anymore how they can't see, but, I mean, it doesn't anger me or anything, and I keep my "O_o" to myself. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2010, 05:01 AM
I talk about it to people who are intelligent enough to respect what I believe or don't believe. Why stand up in the middle of a prayer at a relatives' house and scream "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!"? (which would be fun for about a second) Because it would hurt my family more than it would help me.

I'm happy with my self and my life. I don't try to persuade anyone to become an Atheist.

If anything, I encourage people, including my 13, 12, and 5 year old kids, to THINK FOR THEMSELVES!!! But, I don't aggressively do that either.

Here's why. I wasn't persuaded and I turned out alright. If I can get my kids to study sciences & math to the point that I did, I think they will be ok too. And if not, then we will have a wonderful discussion topic for years to come. ;-)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user