How peaceful is the 2000s-2010s compared to the rest of history?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 09:29 PM
RE: How peaceful is the 2000s-2010s compared to the rest of history?
(01-08-2014 08:47 AM)gawd Wrote:  Stephen Pinker argues this is the most peaceful time ever, what do you think?

The history of Europe is plagued by wars going back into the mists of time. The EU was given a Nobel Peace prize last year, I seem to recall, because the last fifty or so years is the first time in history that Europeans weren't slaughtering each other. Read about Charlemagne for instance who had 4000 Saxons beheaded in a single day.

Since WWII we have had Korea, Vietnam, the Biafran war, Iran-Iraq, Israeli wars, the Falklands, the Gulf War, just to name a handful. What is going on now are mainly small insurgent type wars involving salvos of missiles back and forth killing dozens at a time, not major war killing tens of millions of people like WWI and II or Vietnam.

So, yes, if these little wars in Syria etc were to come to an end we would have a very peaceful time. I put it down to the explosion of consumerism and communication. It's hard for governments to justify wars when people only really want to participate in western style modern life. The historian Niall Ferguson has commented on this, that you can go to the center of Africa and people are wearing T-shirts and using mobile phones.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Usually, I have to look at 30 to 50 years prior to find out what's really going on during any specific decade. Right now... quite a bit seems the way it was when I was a kid.

I became somewhat world conscious during the Tet in Vietnam, Weather Underground, The Panthers, the student riots everywhere- Paris, Warsaw, Soviet crack down in Prague, civil rights ... shit was crazy everywhere.

I think the past 50 years feels somewhat more peaceful, simply because it seems to contain many small and scattered skirmishes, rather than one giant, completely focused world conflict.

I've always found it an odd convenience to create a stopping or starting place exactly at the century mark. When I look at cultural events - artistic movements, for example - they most often overlap century marks.

History doesn't always seem specifically linear to me... it's much more layered.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-08-2014, 08:38 AM
People in the west are much less accepting of violence and death now.

I don't think people would tolerate a war on a scale as large as the two world wars.

Maybe we kind of reached the tipping point with the invention of the H-Bomb. The fact a major war could easily bring about our extinction is a sobering thought.

There were moments when the Cold War was on a knife edge, where a simple mistake could cause the deaths of hundreds of millions. Yet it didn't happen.

The nuclear deterrent worked. Which is one of these odd ironies of nuclear weapons.

Without the threat of the bomb... There would've been very little to prevent a third world war.

I'd still sleep better if they didn't exist though.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2014, 04:17 PM
(01-08-2014 05:17 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I don't know if I agree that it is the most peaceful span of ten years ever. I would perhaps agree that the last thirty or so have been more peaceful, in aggregate, compared to most other years.

If you ignore all the "unimportant" countries....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war...%80%932002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war...%93current

Darfur, Sudan Nigeria, Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Israel, Hamas, Chechnya, Chad, Somalia, Phillipines, Liberia, India, Bangladesh, CAR, Yemen, various parts of the Balkans, Egypt, and let's not forget our two favorites, Iraq and Afghanistan, among a whole host of others.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
11-08-2014, 04:23 PM
(11-08-2014 04:17 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 05:17 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I don't know if I agree that it is the most peaceful span of ten years ever. I would perhaps agree that the last thirty or so have been more peaceful, in aggregate, compared to most other years.

If you ignore all the "unimportant" countries....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war...%80%932002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war...%93current

Darfur, Sudan Nigeria, Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Israel, Hamas, Chechnya, Chad, Somalia, Phillipines, Liberia, India, Bangladesh, CAR, Yemen, various parts of the Balkans, Egypt, and let's not forget our two favorites, Iraq and Afghanistan, among a whole host of others.

Yes and compared to previous eras those wars are smaller with less loss of life.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-08-2014, 04:28 PM
We have no idea how many people died in most of those. Inter-tribal genocides are like that.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
18-08-2014, 04:40 AM
The most devastating wars ever were WW1 and WW2 but since then the world has progressively transformed into relatively unprecedented peace, I agree with Pinker; even in times when nations were not at war in the past citizens were barbaric and lawless, pretty sure violent death in peace time back then was higher than modern day war statistics.