How rational are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2015, 03:42 PM
How rational are you?
As non-theists, we, more often than not, pride ourselves for being rational.

But how rational are you realy? When it comes to politics, relationships, debates/discussions/fights with the believers?

Personally, I can't remember ever having had a rational fight with the missus. It's emotions all over. And I won't even mention politics.

How rational can you possibly be before becoming machinelike? How rational should you be? Can you imagine a rational debate with a believer, that wouldn't be gruesomely boring?

And scientists? Are they always rational? How many rather unlikely "pet theories" are there floating around? That they cling to for a lifetime, and won't drop whatever evidence there might be pointing in another direction?

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2015, 03:44 PM
How rational are you?
I am very rational except when me and the missus are fighting.
13-04-2015, 04:08 PM
RE: How rational are you?
It's probably impossible for a person to self-assess rationality.

It's sort of like --- Are you good looking????

Unless you're an honest basket case, nobody's getting a straight answer....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-04-2015, 04:25 PM
(13-04-2015 04:08 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's probably impossible for a person to self-assess rationality.

It's sort of like --- Are you good looking????

Unless you're an honest basket case, nobody's getting a straight answer....

I'm incredibly good looking and the most rational person I know. I've also been told that I'm arrogant but I don't see it..
[+] 10 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
13-04-2015, 04:39 PM
I think it's hard to self-assess this, as was said by online biker. But a few of my friends have described me as, "the most rational person I (they) know."

I think I probably am overly rational. I behave according to the consequences I foresee for the most part.
Either 1: I want to avoid certain consequences, so I don't do certain things.
2: I want to experience certain consequences, so I do certain things.
3: The action I want to do has an array of possible acceptable consequences, so I do it, even if I'm not certain of the outcome.

I very rarely end up in a situation that I didn't foresee or expect to some degree.

In other words, I'm boring. Weeping

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
13-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Are we confusing rational with passionate or anger?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2015, 08:08 PM
How is it measured?

#sigh
14-04-2015, 01:36 AM
(13-04-2015 08:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How is it measured?

With an anemometer. Tongue
14-04-2015, 02:22 AM
I think I am very rational. Certainly my emotions get the better of me in some situations, but most of the time, when I'm in a good frame of mind, I can keep a clear head.

I actually get criticized by people for not being emotional enough. "Why aren't you getting angry?" "Why won't you shout back at me?" I don't argue with people. I discuss, I debate. If they start shouting, or being emotionally irrational, I call timeout.

Unfortunately my depression leads me to very irrational self destructive thoughts which I have no control over. All I can do is to mentally try and counter them with more rational statements to myself.

I actually asked my wife if she thought I had anything like a superstition, or approached anything non rationally, and she said no.

I do know I refuse to get involved in certain discussions at all past a certain point because I know they will trigger a massive emotional response in me. I refuse not because it will make me irrational, but that it will make me depressed.

But I'm not so naive as to think I'm really as rational as I think I am. I'm sure I make lots of ridiculous non-rational errors that I'm not even aware of.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm skeptical when atheists say they're more rational than everyone else. Perhaps total denial of the supernatural does make someone more rational, but I get the sense that some atheists live under the illusion that they can live a 100% rational life. Or worse, I sense that some atheists believe they are living a 100% rational life. This is impossible and unattainable, and it bothers me.

How do you define "being rational?" It is defined as using pure logic to make decisions, without the influence of any emotion? Every decision has an emotional component. Without our limbic systems or lower, reptilian brains, we could not decide at all. Jonah Lehrer in his book "How We Decide" pointed out that people with a specific kind of damage to their limbic system cannot decide at all; they become caught endlessly weighing the different alternatives, unable to make a choice.

Theism, spirituality, and embrace of the supernatural offers that space for our emotions to breathe. I was raised a theist, but lost my belief along the way. Damn, it's hard to live without the comfort of the divine! Trying to balance what I believe is right and wrong versus what my gut says can be a real pain in the a** sometimes!