How rational are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 07:40 PM
RE: How rational are you?
Well, in a scale from 1 to 10... I don't know.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 07:58 PM
(15-04-2015 03:05 PM)nebula828 Wrote:  Theism, spirituality, and embrace of the supernatural offers that space for our emotions to breathe.

I don't think you need to embrace any of those to allow your emotions to breathe. I've made decisions based on emotion when I had insufficient evidence to make a rational decision and I've let emotions influence me to make decisions that I knew weren't completely rational because I just felt like it.

The important point for me is considering if it is rational and understanding that it may not be. On the other hand, I don't try to defend emotional decisions on a rational basis.

Quote:Kirk: "Now Mr. Spock, there's really something about all this that I don't understand, so maybe you could explain it to me, logically of course... Now, when you jettisoned the fuel, and ignited it, you knew that there was virtually no chance of it being seen and yet you did it anyway. Now that seems to me like an act of desperation."
Spock: "Quite correct, Captain."
Kirk: "Now we all know, and I'm sure the doctor would agree with me, that desperation is a highly emotional state of mind. So how does your well known logic explain that?"
Spock: "Quite simply captain, I examined the problem from all angles, and it was plainly hopeless. Logic informed me that under the circumstances, the only logical action would have to be one of desperation. Logical decision, logically arrived at."
Kirk: "Ah-huh, I see... So you reasoned that it was time for an emotional outburst."
Spock: "Well I... Wouldn't exactly put it in those terms captain, but those are essentially the facts."
Kirk: [sighs] "You aren't going to admit that for the first time in your life, you committed a purely human, emotional act?"
Spock: [crosses arms and slowly shakes head] "No, sir."
Kirk: [laughing] "Mr. Spock, you are a stubborn man."
Spock: [raises eyebrows] "Yes, sir."

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-04-2015, 08:44 PM
I don't think I'm super rational most of the time. I'm still very emotional. I think the advantage I have of being what I am is I am aware of it more and try to balance it out when I can.
15-04-2015, 10:08 PM
@unfogged, the Vulcan ideal of logic was streaming through my mind as I was writing my post. Thanks for the appropriate and illustrative quote. I'd rather live my semi-rational, semi-emotional human life in lieu of a Vulcan-esque purely logical life. Plus that whole notion of being seized by the pon farr every seven years would turn into a real pain and inconvenience.

The topic of this thread reminds me of the plight of Hamlet, a character with whom I strongly identify. Poor guy spent all his time picking himself apart, reasoning through his situation without actually *doing* anything. Hamlet was rational in the sense that he reasoned carefully through his various options and their consequences, but in his obsession to only do what was right, and in his fear of divine or cosmic retribution for doing what was wrong, he was destroyed. Sometimes we must acknowledge and respect our gut, irrational instincts. Sometimes we must acknowledge and respect that we are, after all, simply creators that operate largely on instincts, habits, and urges.

"Now, whether it be bestial oblivion or some craven scruple of thinking too precisely on the event, a thought which quartered hath but one part wisdom and ever three parts coward, I do not know why yet I live to say this thing's to do, sith I have cause and will and strength and means to do it." -Hamlet IV, iv
16-04-2015, 05:58 AM
Here's a test of rationality ------

Would you or would you not buy a vibrator at a garage sale?

No??

Even if it was a really nice one - a top of the line model - for practically nothing??

No??

Do you realize how irrational that is????

No???

Consider -- if you're having sex with a guy --

Was his penis brand new when you first got to put it to use????

Oh --

He washed it after the last 10 people he had sex with.....

You can't wash a vibrator????

Hell -- you can wash it in phosphoric acid and autoclave the damned thing if you want it REALLY clean.....

The penis??

Not so much.....

Rationality doesn't always seem right, eh???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post