How religion hurts children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2015, 07:38 AM
How religion hurts children
I've thought it would be interesting (although disturbing) to have a sub-forum where people could post cases of how religion hurts children. So here goes the first.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/08/b...courtyard/

A ONE MONTH old baby was thrown out of a window to his death because his parents thought it was possessed. I have a 5 month old baby girl. I just feel sick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 07:45 AM
RE: How religion hurts children
Such a sad story. And all because of religion. Religion is dangerous in so many ways. And God is loving...

This family was trying to observe the Sabbath and used a hot plate (you can't light a flame on the Sabbath). The hot plate started a fire due to an electrical malfunction. Seven children ages 5-16 died in the blaze.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/nyregi....html?_r=0

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
21-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Some people take religion way to far like these people did. They were mentally ill and not all christians are like that. I hope your not one of that atheists that bashes other peoples religion. People believe in something because they want. For example if god exists and you die you will regret everything in your life and if christians dies he will come to heaven. Christians can't lost nothing for beleivng on what they want to beleilve. Religion is not the problem humanity is. That is my opinion. Thanks
21-08-2015, 07:00 AM
(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  ...
For example if god exists and you die you will regret everything in your life and if christians dies he will come to heaven. Christians can't lost nothing for beleivng on what they want to beleilve.

Wanna bet, Pascal?

And welcome to TTA. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-08-2015, 07:23 AM
(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  Christians can't lost nothing for beleivng on what they want to beleilve.

Except for all the time and money they devote to the religion and all the things they deny themselves out of fear of offending their god, including understanding the world around them as it actually is to the best of their ability. From my perspective they give up a lot for a false sense of security.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
21-08-2015, 09:03 AM
(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  Some people take religion way to far like these people did. They were mentally ill and not all christians are like that. I hope your not one of that atheists that bashes other peoples religion. People believe in something because they want. For example if god exists and you die you will regret everything in your life and if christians dies he will come to heaven. Christians can't lost nothing for beleivng on what they want to beleilve. Religion is not the problem humanity is. That is my opinion. Thanks

We know that not all Christians are like that. Most of us have Christian family, friends, and even wives/husbands who are Believers.

The point was that religion can teach things that are demonstrably harmful, yet religion is not generally seen for this aspect of how it works. Most of the nonsense religion teaches is harmless, but some of it is harmful, and it is our duty to "call out" the things that are.

As far as Pascal's Wager goes, I'll leave you with this:

[Image: j0ViEIt.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-08-2015, 10:02 AM
(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  Some people take religion way to far like these people did. They were mentally ill and not all christians are like that. I hope your not one of that atheists that bashes other peoples religion. People believe in something because they want. For example if god exists and you die you will regret everything in your life and if christians dies he will come to heaven. Christians can't lost nothing for beleivng on what they want to beleilve. Religion is not the problem humanity is. That is my opinion. Thanks

If other people's religion hurts children, or women or men, that is what pisses me off and I will speak out about it. People have the right to believe what they want, but if those beliefs cause harm, they deserve to be called out.

Here is another one:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../25790427/

2 year old starved to death because his parents and church thought he was possessed.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
21-08-2015, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2015 10:40 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(21-08-2015 10:02 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  

If other people's religion hurts children, or women or men, that is what pisses me off and I will speak out about it. People have the right to believe what they want, but if those beliefs cause harm, they deserve to be called out.

Here is another one:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../25790427/

2 year old starved to death because his parents and church thought he was possessed.

Damnit. Damn them. Ugh! It's times like this I wish I did believe in Hell.

Child's Death Sheds Light on Biblical Disciplinary Teachings
http://abcnews.go.com/US/childs-death-sh...d=14897901

Deaths of children have been linked to the book 'To Train Up a Child'

The parenting book "To Train Up a Child" by Michael and Debi Pearl has been blamed for the death of several children.

The book advises parents to use objects like a quarter-inch plumbing tube to spank children and "break their will." It also mentions withholding food and putting children under a cold garden hose. The contents of Pearl's book has been cited as advocating child abuse and its teachings were linked to the deaths of Sean Paddock, Lydia Schatz, and Hana Grace-Rose Williams. In all three cases the parents were homeschooling their children and are believed to have read Pearl's book.
The Pearls’ ministry "No Greater Joy Ministries" brings in $1.7 million a year through book and video sales and donations. However, they live in a one-room apartment near the church.

http://www.examiner.com/article/deaths-o...up-a-child

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
21-08-2015, 10:37 AM
(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  I hope your not one of that atheists that bashes other peoples religion.
There are plenty of religious people whom I have great respect for, just not because they're religious. They can believe what they want, and it's ultimately not what I'm going to judge them by. But if it comes up in conversation, I'm still going to tell them "Nothing personal, I respect you and all, but you're full of shit." Tongue

Quote:Christians can't lost nothing for beleivng on what they want to beleilve.
What if you miss your chance to take part in the coming of Ragnarok because you chose not to follow in the footsteps of Odin? I'd suggest you play it safe and die in combat to earn yourself a possible spot in Valhalla, just in case. Nothing to lose if you turn out to be wrong and Odin doesn't actually exist.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post
21-08-2015, 11:33 AM
(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  I hope your not one of that atheists that bashes other peoples religion.

No. I'm atheist that laughs at religion. When one looks on it from the outside it's more than funny.

(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  People believe in something because they want.

Or maybe because they were indoctrinated?

(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  For example if god exists and you die you will regret everything in your life and if christians dies he will come to heaven.

Or Allfather Odin will scorn you for being pathetic weakling crying to some dude killed in a way reserved for scum.

(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  Christians can't lost nothing for beleivng on what they want to beleilve.

Except life wasted on prayer and going to church where one seeks remedy for guilt imprinted by clergy to better control the flock. So sure nothing at all is lost Rolleyes

(21-08-2015 06:48 AM)Exoclap Wrote:  Religion is not the problem humanity is. That is my opinion. Thanks

Religion is - or can be - a problem. That's fact.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post