How religion hurts children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: How religion hurts children
(11-08-2015 07:38 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I've thought it would be interesting (although disturbing) to have a sub-forum where people could post cases of how religion hurts children. So here goes the first.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/08/b...courtyard/

A ONE MONTH old baby was thrown out of a window to his death because his parents thought it was possessed. I have a 5 month old baby girl. I just feel sick.

Yea, I know the sort of parents that throw one month old babies out of windows because they thought they were demons, are not the sort like those in stories that torture and murder their kids for the fun of it, or the guy who killed his girlfriend's child for tripping over his ps3.

Sometimes I think it's atheists living in a fairy tale world, as if we'd be living in better, more wonderful version of humanity, in a Disney land, so basked in the light, if only folks abandoned religion. Maybe the world is not made better by religion, but it's pure fantasy to imagine that it would be made better without it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2015, 11:15 AM
(18-09-2015 10:05 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I don't know if you are widowed or not, If you are, I am sorry. I am also sorry that your kids lost their mother. It is horrific that added to the pain of loosing a mother, your daughter was told that her mother was going to hell. This is the kind of crap that makes my blood boil. I hope your daughter is doing OK.

No, not widowed. Her mother was my ex-girlfriend. We were never married. Hell, I didn't even know I had a daughter until after she died. She assumed that it was the boyfriend after me that got her pregnant, and then once she found out that it wasn't him, never could remember who could have gotten her pregnant. Lucky for my daughter, and for me her parents happened to go through all of her stuff, and found my number.

She's doing okay. It's hard for her to adjust. She's now got a step-mom, and 3 step-sisters. She's confused by the whole 'god' thing. She said she doesn't want there to be a god if he'd send her mom to hell. The idea of hell is supremely messed up, and shouldn't be introduced to children. At least not imo.
18-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Wow, I am sure that was a surprise to learn you had a daughter. It must have been very emotional for you. She will have to go through a bit of adjustment with a brand new family. I wish you and your family the best.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
18-09-2015, 11:35 AM
(18-09-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 07:38 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I've thought it would be interesting (although disturbing) to have a sub-forum where people could post cases of how religion hurts children. So here goes the first.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/08/b...courtyard/

A ONE MONTH old baby was thrown out of a window to his death because his parents thought it was possessed. I have a 5 month old baby girl. I just feel sick.

Yea, I know the sort of parents that throw one month old babies out of windows because they thought they were demons, are not the sort like those in stories that torture and murder their kids for the fun of it, or the guy who killed his girlfriend's child for tripping over his ps3.

I agree that some parents would harm their children irregardless of religion, but similarly to you, I have also met parents whose faith was above their children's welfare.

(18-09-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Sometimes I think it's atheists living in a fairy tale world, as if we'd be living in better, more wonderful version of humanity, in a Disney land, so basked in the light, if only folks abandoned religion. Maybe the world is not made better by religion, but it's pure fantasy to imagine that it would be made better without it.

Straw man. No such claims made here.
18-09-2015, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2015 11:54 AM by Tomasia.)
(18-09-2015 11:35 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yea, I know the sort of parents that throw one month old babies out of windows because they thought they were demons, are not the sort like those in stories that torture and murder their kids for the fun of it, or the guy who killed his girlfriend's child for tripping over his ps3.

I agree that some parents would harm their children irregardless of religion, but similarly to you, I have also met parents whose faith was above their children's welfare.

And there are plenty of parents who've abandoned their children for their own selfish interest, their new lovers, etc.... The world is of no shortage of assholes, and awful parents. If you imagine they would be any better if they were irreligious, is just fooling yourself.

In a population over several billion people, you can handpick which ever awful stories you want, of awful people, but to use that as indictment of religion, makes as much sense as pointing to Madelyn O'Heir or Craig Hicks as an indictment of atheism.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-09-2015, 11:55 AM
(18-09-2015 11:32 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Wow, I am sure that was a surprise to learn you had a daughter. It must have been very emotional for you. She will have to go through a bit of adjustment with a brand new family. I wish you and your family the best.

It was a major surprise. I hadn't given my ex a thought in years. My daughter has adjusted pretty well though. The hardest thing for her was leaving her friends behind to come live in another state. She's still a pretty quiet girl. There's still things she won't ask me. But she's calling me 'dad', and we've done our best to make her feel comfortable and happy.
[+] 1 user Likes Ash's post
18-09-2015, 12:21 PM
(18-09-2015 11:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 11:35 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I agree that some parents would harm their children irregardless of religion, but similarly to you, I have also met parents whose faith was above their children's welfare.

And there are plenty of parents who've abandoned their children for their own selfish interest, their new lovers, etc.... The world is of no shortage of assholes, and awful parents. If you imagine they would be any better if they were irreligious, is just fooling yourself.

In a population over several billion people, you can handpick which ever awful stories you want, of awful people, but to use that as indictment of religion, makes as much sense as pointing to Madelyn O'Heir or Craig Hicks as an indictment of atheism.

You're absolutely right! No shortage of assholes and awful parents. We can find one on every corner of the planet.

..but..

You get the groups of people that say they have the right way. And their way is found in the really old book. And by living by this books teachings, you will be happy and immortal. If your a member of this group you are on the high road better then everyone else.

Atheism don't say they have the answers for living a happy life. We know the world if full of assholes. We know there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Being an atheist doesn't make you a better person. Each one of us lives life how we see fit.

I agree with you in saying we all live on a level playing field. And I would prefer it that way. But fact's are fact's. Most religious groups want to promote peace and love. But do the exact opposite of what they advertise.

Madelyn O'hare was a super bitch. But when's the last time you heard a story about her stoning a child to death because that child kissed a boy. Or when Sam Harris molested one of his alter boys? And everyone just turned the other cheek, shrugged and said "Oh well they'll get theirs in the after life."

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
18-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Teenage Girl Stoned to death for loving the wrong boy.

http://www.siotw.org/news_english.item.7...g-boy.html

Another Alter Boy Molested.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/al...-1.1706488

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
14-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Prematurely born baby prayed to death by faith healing parents 9 hours after being born.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ma...-1.2395391

Parents: "would not have done anything differently"

Doctor who testified at parents trial: baby had a 99% chance of survival if he had been given proper medical care.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post