How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 05:15 AM
How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"
I don't see why it is a big deal to say Merry Christmas.

Anyway, lying to family is easy. Smile

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Pick your battles. You don't have to die by the sword with every issue you don't agree with.
[+] 4 users Like jmiah's post
12-11-2012, 07:15 AM
fucking title is too damned long.
(12-11-2012 07:12 AM)jmiah Wrote:  Pick your battles. You don't have to die by the sword with every issue you don't agree with.
Good point, I should follow that example when I'm with friends and family.

But damn, I just can't resist the urge to correct and destroy stupid when I see it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
How?
(11-11-2012 11:11 PM)Archipater Wrote:  I come from a Catholic family that sent me to private Catholic school for about eight years of my life. I started to become skeptical of religion approximately one to two years ago, and finally, about two or three months ago, I finally broke free from religion and officially declared myself an atheist.

I still have yet to come out to my family, and I plan on taking it slowly since I am unsure of how they might react to my atheistic views. I am planning on telling them before Christmas rolls around, since I would rather be honest with them throughout the season instead of just going through the motions and lying the entire time.

As I have been thinking about things that I should prepare for before then, the greeting of "Merry Christmas" crossed my mind almost immediately. I don't think I would have much trouble responding to a stranger or even a friend with "Happy Winter Solstice" or simply "Happy Holidays," but what should I do when my family wishes me "Merry Christmas," especially other relatives. I am worried that if my being an atheist somehow gets out to my relatives, it may have an adverse effect on the mood of things. Not only that, but what really worries me is the negative effects it could have on my elderly grandparents. I don't know if something like that could give them a heart attack or what.

Thanks for your advice. Any other tips about this situation I am in would be greatly appreciated.
With "And a merry Christmas to you." That's called good manners.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Really not worth a fight or any loss sleep. Return the greeting.

There's not much Christ left in Christmas these days anyway. Instead of Xmas it should be $mas, though I don't know how you would say that.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-11-2012, 08:38 AM
RE: How ...
(12-11-2012 07:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Really not worth a fight or any loss sleep. Return the greeting.

There's not much Christ left in Christmas these days anyway. Instead of Xmas it should be $mas, though I don't know how you would say that.
Cashmas?

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2012, 08:43 AM
RE: How?
(12-11-2012 07:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 11:11 PM)Archipater Wrote:  I come from a Catholic family that sent me to private Catholic school for about eight years of my life. I started to become skeptical of religion approximately one to two years ago, and finally, about two or three months ago, I finally broke free from religion and officially declared myself an atheist.

I still have yet to come out to my family, and I plan on taking it slowly since I am unsure of how they might react to my atheistic views. I am planning on telling them before Christmas rolls around, since I would rather be honest with them throughout the season instead of just going through the motions and lying the entire time.

As I have been thinking about things that I should prepare for before then, the greeting of "Merry Christmas" crossed my mind almost immediately. I don't think I would have much trouble responding to a stranger or even a friend with "Happy Winter Solstice" or simply "Happy Holidays," but what should I do when my family wishes me "Merry Christmas," especially other relatives. I am worried that if my being an atheist somehow gets out to my relatives, it may have an adverse effect on the mood of things. Not only that, but what really worries me is the negative effects it could have on my elderly grandparents. I don't know if something like that could give them a heart attack or what.

Thanks for your advice. Any other tips about this situation I am in would be greatly appreciated.
With "And a merry Christmas to you." That's called good manners.
What would be good manners would be keeping their delusions to themselves. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
(12-11-2012 08:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 07:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  With "And a merry Christmas to you." That's called good manners.
What would be good manners would be keeping their delusions to themselves. Angry

The height of good manners is being polite when others are not. Like now.

[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2012, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 09:22 AM by Vera.)
(12-11-2012 08:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 08:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What would be good manners would be keeping their delusions to themselves. Angry

The height of good manners is being polite when others are not. Like now.
Forgot how exactly it went or who said it, but there was a quote or saying to the effect that good manners isn't knowing which utensil to use, but not noticing that the person next to you doesn't know.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
12-11-2012, 09:29 AM
RE: How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me
...and people called Christians dogmatic...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post