How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me
(12-11-2012 09:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...and people called Christians dogmatic...

Merry xmas and a happy new year to you too!

Holidays are for having fun. It doesn't matter who celebrates what. You celebrate good food and nice presents. What on earth would be the point of spoiling anyone's fun?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 09:56 AM
RE: How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christm
(11-11-2012 11:11 PM)Archipater Wrote:  I come from a Catholic family that sent me to private Catholic school for about eight years of my life. I started to become skeptical of religion approximately one to two years ago, and finally, about two or three months ago, I finally broke free from religion and officially declared myself an atheist.

I still have yet to come out to my family, and I plan on taking it slowly since I am unsure of how they might react to my atheistic views. I am planning on telling them before Christmas rolls around, since I would rather be honest with them throughout the season instead of just going through the motions and lying the entire time.

As I have been thinking about things that I should prepare for before then, the greeting of "Merry Christmas" crossed my mind almost immediately. I don't think I would have much trouble responding to a stranger or even a friend with "Happy Winter Solstice" or simply "Happy Holidays," but what should I do when my family wishes me "Merry Christmas," especially other relatives. I am worried that if my being an atheist somehow gets out to my relatives, it may have an adverse effect on the mood of things. Not only that, but what really worries me is the negative effects it could have on my elderly grandparents. I don't know if something like that could give them a heart attack or what.

Thanks for your advice. Any other tips about this situation I am in would be greatly appreciated.
It's up to you, but personally I would probably wait until after Christmas to come out. That way, your family has much more time to adjust before the next Christmas season. And, if you do it in say January, then there is a good amount of time before Easter too. Yes, this will leave you feeling hypocritical during this Christmas season while you go along with things you might rather not, but it's a small price to pay. I think coming out should be done when it's the right time and when you are fully ready, not just because a religious holiday is about to roll around.

I agree with those who have said "Merry Christmas" is not a battle worth fighting, especially with relatives. I always just reply "Thanks, Merry Christmas to you too". It's as much a holiday these days as it is a religious event so I don't feel uncomfortable about it. Furthermore, neither my wife or I are Christians, but we still have a Christmas tree and gift-giving in my house because we don't want our kids to feel left out while all their friends get presents. We also teach our kids about various religions as well as atheism so they will someday be in a better position to choose for themselves.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
12-11-2012, 10:03 AM
eat a dick
You fuckers are all taken in by the icing of false platitudes covering a cake of evil and oppression. Eating a box of totalitarian flakes to get at the toy surprise, well, fuck you all.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 10:12 AM
RE: eat a dick
(12-11-2012 10:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You fuckers are all taken in by the icing of false platitudes covering a cake of evil and oppression. Eating a box of totalitarian flakes to get at the toy surprise, well, fuck you all.

I enjoy my pagan granola, thank you very much. Bowing

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-11-2012, 10:16 AM
(12-11-2012 09:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 09:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...and people called Christians dogmatic...

Merry xmas and a happy new year to you too!

Holidays are for having fun. It doesn't matter who celebrates what. You celebrate good food and nice presents. What on earth would be the point of spoiling anyone's fun?
That's my point.

How in the world is saying "Merry Christmas" against being an atheist?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
(12-11-2012 10:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 09:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  Merry xmas and a happy new year to you too!

That's my point.

How in the world is saying "Merry Christmas" against being an atheist?
Fuckers spend most of the year going on about how oppressed you are, then, on these days, say how special you are.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Deez
This horse is dead and beaten, looks like you got your answer...

12-11-2012, 11:36 AM
re
And just in case you missed it... try out the old Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Or you could tell them you subscribe to presentree. It's my secret holiday. Where I literally remove the christ from christmas. Bringig it back to it's old school roots. Also I don't have to change anything.

But really, it's just a phrase that most people just mean to mean, have a nice fucking holiday.
It's not like they are saying "hey worship jebus or I'll stone you"... yet.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
12-11-2012, 11:42 AM
RE: eat a dick
(12-11-2012 10:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You fuckers are all taken in by the icing of false platitudes covering a cake of evil and oppression. Eating a box of totalitarian flakes to get at the toy surprise, well, fuck you all.
Merry Christmas to you too. Tongue

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
RE: How should I respond to..."Merry Christmas?"
I agree with most everyone here that I see no problem in responding with Merry Christmas in kind.

However, if you truly feel you must experiment with alternatives, try responding with a smile and a hug instead. I feel friends and family should always be more important than your principles. In your attempts to assert your own position, try not to forget who you love.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum