How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 05:33 PM
RE: How should I
Well, I guess you could try "and you have a nice day, too," but I've never had a problem with it. It's not like they're forcing you to worship their god by saying it, and these days it may as well be a secular holiday, the way most people celebrate it (gifts, food, etc., not all families also attend Xmas mass).

I figure it may be one of the times they're invoking the name of Christ without trying to push their religion on me, which I can actually appreciate. I only mention my atheism if (1)I am specifically asked about it, or (2)if I'm specifically asked to attend church (except weddings and funerals) or actively participate in a prayer or something.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
suckerfish
You are all brainwashed by the subliminal advertising of your Christian consumptive capitalist overlords. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 07:18 PM
RE: suckerfish
(12-11-2012 07:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You are all brainwashed by the subliminal advertising of your Christian consumptive capitalist overlords. Angry

But we get loot and goodies. Shocking You want to take away the goodies? Angry Meanie.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"
(12-11-2012 10:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You fuckers are all taken in by the icing of false platitudes covering a cake of evil and oppression. Eating a box of totalitarian flakes to get at the toy surprise, well, fuck you all.

Now it feels like you're just trying on purpose to get your sayings posted in the Favorite House of Cantor Sayings. Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
(12-11-2012 07:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You are all brainwashed by the subliminal advertising of your Christian consumptive capitalist overlords. Angry

I thought our overlords were the Scientology peeps.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-11-2012, 10:16 PM
RE: How should I respond...
(11-11-2012 11:11 PM)Archipater Wrote:  I come from a Catholic family that sent me to private Catholic school for about eight years of my life. I started to become skeptical of religion approximately one to two years ago, and finally, about two or three months ago, I finally broke free from religion and officially declared myself an atheist.

I still have yet to come out to my family, and I plan on taking it slowly since I am unsure of how they might react to my atheistic views. I am planning on telling them before Christmas rolls around, since I would rather be honest with them throughout the season instead of just going through the motions and lying the entire time.

As I have been thinking about things that I should prepare for before then, the greeting of "Merry Christmas" crossed my mind almost immediately. I don't think I would have much trouble responding to a stranger or even a friend with "Happy Winter Solstice" or simply "Happy Holidays," but what should I do when my family wishes me "Merry Christmas," especially other relatives. I am worried that if my being an atheist somehow gets out to my relatives, it may have an adverse effect on the mood of things. Not only that, but what really worries me is the negative effects it could have on my elderly grandparents. I don't know if something like that could give them a heart attack or what.

Thanks for your advice. Any other tips about this situation I am in would be greatly appreciated.

Just say Merry Christmas.

Personally, despite being an atheist, I like Christmas. Not because it is some kind of birthday for some dude who got strung up on a couple of sticks a couple thousand years ago, but for the family time, the enjoyment from gift giving, the food, and all the great deals we get at the shops right after Christmas.

So, wish them a Merry Christmas, and have a Merry Christmas yourself.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
Born This Way
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
(12-11-2012 08:01 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 10:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You fuckers are all taken in by the icing of false platitudes covering a cake of evil and oppression. Eating a box of totalitarian flakes to get at the toy surprise, well, fuck you all.

Now it feels like you're just trying on purpose to get your sayings posted in the Favorite House of Cantor Sayings. Tongue

Well even if he did try to do that on purpose it should still go there because it was fucking hilarious.

Clap

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
Born This Way
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
13-11-2012, 02:45 AM
RE: How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me...
I love saying Merry Christmas to all my friends, specially my atheist
friends. We give each other great greeting cards, even presents. The
more one hates religion, the more and the better present he/she gets.

When
someone who knows I am an atheist wishes me a merry Christmas I
cynically reply with the same wishes, then we both laugh out loud. When
someone who does not know I am an atheist wishes me a merry Christmas, I
just reply with a short "Merry Christmas to you too", because t is only
polite to reply and it is also polite to wish a merry Christmas to
someone who celebrates it, even if you do not. I also wish "bajram serif
mubarek olsun" to Muslims, I would say "happy Hanuka" as well, but I
have no Jewish friends.

My favorite part of Christmas is to say a Merry Christmas to my Muslim atheist friend...

Big Grin

P.S.

What the hell, why do you people have to make such huge subjects, so I can not save my quick reply now? SHORT SUBJECT!!

Also, the text has started to "group" itself again, this was an error a few months ago, but it has stopped for some time, but it appears it is back again. I will not change it, I will leave it for mods/admins to see it.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
13-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for your responses everyone. I read through all of them, and now I understand that an atheist shouldn't really be bothered by Christmas at all. It simply isn't a purely Christian holiday anymore - in fact, it never was if you count all of the pagan influences.

I think what was bothering me before was the word "Christmas," since it has the name Christ in it. For some reason I took that to mean that if I was to participate in such a holiday, I would be labeling myself as a believer in Christ, but that couldn't be further from the truth. In the world today, we celebrate Christmas for being together with family and friends, showing how much we care for one another, and most important of all, enjoying good food. And PRESENTS! Big Grin

The other thing that I have come to realize is that it really isn't necessary to change the name of Christmas. Sure, it would be nice to label this holiday of humanity as something neutral of all religions and/or religious views, but the word "Christmas" and many Christian stories are so deeply ingrained in it now that it would be, in a way, a pity to remove the "Christmas" from Christmas. Why deconstruct the wonderful holiday that we take so much joy in celebrating? Do we really want to toss all of those beautiful, traditional Christmas carols out the window? There's no reason why we can't just treat Christian stories in the same way that we do Santa Clause, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Frosty the Snowman.

Again, thanks for all of your opinions, and I wish you all an early Merry Christmas! Wink
14-11-2012, 12:09 AM
RE: How should I respond to my family and
And a Merry Christmas to you too, my new atheist friend.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson