How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 03:10 AM
How should I respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"
Merry Chrismas everyone!

It'll be our secret. Wink

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2012, 03:14 AM
RE: I don't wanna have to edit this damn title every time I post.
I maintain my notion for "giftmas".

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
14-11-2012, 03:48 AM
How respond to fam & rel when...
Usually wished a Merry Christmas by muslims and hindus, I respond in kind and wait for them to say they're not christian.

'The world holds two classes of men: intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.' - Abdallah al-Ma'arri
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
14-11-2012, 07:02 AM
"Merry Christmas?"
Fuck all you tools of the state. Angry

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-11-2012, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 07:23 AM by ddrew.)
respond to my family and relatives when they wish me "Merry Christmas?"
Damn, this thread is still going? OKay .. okay I'm changing my answer.

When your relatives wish you Merry Christmas just tell them with a straight face... "FUCK YOU"

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
14-11-2012, 01:52 PM
RE: How should I respond to my
(11-11-2012 11:51 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Merry Christmas? What is wrong with that again? Its not like you are saying you believe in Jesus or something. Its just a holiday! It has no more to do with Jesus than Halloween does with the dead or Thanksgiving with the pilgrims and Indians.

I guess if you are die hard against it the accepted norm is happy holidays.
I think you will find that Holiday has religious etymology. See "Holy Day ". Yeah, I don't celebrate holidays, stupid. I'm an atheist. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
14-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Why against Christmas?
I don't understand how some of you can be against anything and everything that has religious roots.

Just because something has religious roots doesn't mean that it has to be taken as actually being religious. Take the Christmas tree, for example. It used to carry religious symbolism back during pagan times, but now it no longer does. In our time, it is simply a fun tradition that many of us, both theists and atheists, enjoy. Couldn't the Christian roots of Christmas eventually become the same thing? Just a fun tradition? A collection of fairy tales?

Only this time, there will not be another religion to take precedence over the previous religion(s). Thumbsup

In response to the post above, just because the word "holiday" has religious roots doesn't mean that society identifies it as actually carrying a religious meaning anymore. The word holiday in our society now simply means a day of celebration. People need to realize that language is constantly evolving, and it will continue to do so into the future. It is and will be natural for traces of religion to remain in our ever-evolving language even after we leave our religious past behind.

If I happen to speak a word that originated during religious times, but in our current society carries a completely different meaning, am I any less of an atheist? Something to think about.

Those who think differently, please explain exactly why you do. I sincerely want to see where you're coming from, but so far most of the comments I have seen are just saying that we're in cahoots with theists and that we're not true atheists for thinking this way.
[+] 2 users Like Archipater's post
14-11-2012, 05:27 PM
fuck this title
Did somebody mention "true atheists?" Consider

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2012, 05:44 PM
RE: fuck this title
(14-11-2012 05:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did somebody mention "true atheists?" Consider
Okay, you got me. My apologies for my incorrect accusations. Now explain how we are "tools of the state" lol. I would really like to know.
14-11-2012, 05:46 PM
RE: fuck this title
(14-11-2012 05:44 PM)Archipater Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 05:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did somebody mention "true atheists?" Consider
Okay, you got me. My apologies for my incorrect accusations. Now explain how we are "tools of the state" lol. I would really like to know.
Frankly I am more interested in knowing what state.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.