How should I respond?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 01:27 AM
RE: How should I respond?
(23-02-2014 03:20 AM)donotwant Wrote:  If he pretends to not see contradiction it's pointless to argue further. They will lie to your face. I would be more interested in why he believes. Or is he lying about that to and is actually atheist in disguise?
He's a Calvinist.Frusty

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2014, 01:57 AM
(24-02-2014 01:27 AM)f stop Wrote:  
(23-02-2014 03:20 AM)donotwant Wrote:  If he pretends to not see contradiction it's pointless to argue further. They will lie to your face. I would be more interested in why he believes. Or is he lying about that to and is actually atheist in disguise?
He's a Calvinist.Frusty

Well then fuck him!
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
24-02-2014, 08:26 AM
(24-02-2014 01:57 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 01:27 AM)f stop Wrote:  He's a Calvinist.Frusty

Well then fuck him!
I don't know why but your post made my day.Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
24-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Well really there is nothing to argue about. God already made a list of people who are going to heaven regardless of what happens so why bother with that sad case.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
26-02-2014, 04:32 PM
(20-02-2014 06:42 PM)f stop Wrote:  I'm debating a theist who insists that there are no contradictions in the Bible. I've presented him with the following.
  • PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
  • JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.
He insists that he sees no contradiction and demands that I explain what the contradiction is. From past experience I know that he is setting a trap. The guy is a master of word games and equivocation. I could just walk away but I hate to give him an excuse to declare victory. I've considered going to the extreme of actually diagramming the two sentences and showing they are contradictory. What do you think? Are there any other options?
If I were him I'd simply note that the psalm goes on to clarify that "all" is not as general as it seems just from reading v9:

18 The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,
To all who call upon Him in truth.
19 He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;
He also will hear their cry and save them.
20 The Lord preserves all who love Him,
But all the wicked He will destroy.