How should an atheist behave at a religious funeral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 09:10 AM
RE: How should an atheist behave at a religious funeral?
Quote:Gordon Lightwood

If that's not a typo I guess I'll be the trillionth person to ask "Lightfoot?"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 09:13 AM
(06-06-2017 09:10 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Gordon Lightwood

If that's not a typo I guess I'll be the trillionth person to ask "Lightfoot?"

Hell, I wondered why I typed Robert Lightwood first... that's a character from the book I'm currently translating.

Fucking hell, brain's in a worse state than I thought! Blink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
06-06-2017, 10:13 AM
I usually start by doing a rain dance and offering a bushel of crops to Zeus. Then I get naked and do cartwheels in the church aisle since as an atheist I don't have any morals and love to sin just because. Next, I bid the cosmic energy of the dearly departed a fond farewell and eat a bowl of pasta blessed by FSM in their honor.

On a serious note, IMO, just be respectful of the beliefs of the people who are worshiping. I don't mind taking part in religious ceremonies if it makes people feel better and helps them process their grief better. Everyone has their own way of saying goodbye to a loved one.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Of course, be respectful if you go, that's to be expected, but on the other hand, choosing not to attend shouldn't be an affront either
06-06-2017, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 11:29 AM by Clockwork.)
(06-06-2017 08:32 AM)mordant Wrote:  (There is also a lot of fake grief at funerals, at least the ones I've attended, so I might be even more biased.
That might be more of a Catholic / European / Irish thing; wakes for example are pretty much confined to traditionalist Irish Catholics here in the US so far as I know, and I think the tradition is greatly weakened here anyway.
May be regional. There are lots of wakes here, most of which aren't Catholic. I think most in my area do have wakes, actually.
07-06-2017, 04:59 AM
(06-06-2017 06:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 08:32 AM)mordant Wrote:  That might be more of a Catholic / European / Irish thing; wakes for example are pretty much confined to traditionalist Irish Catholics here in the US so far as I know, and I think the tradition is greatly weakened here anyway.
May be regional. There are lots of wakes here, most of which aren't Catholic. I think most in my area do have wakes, actually.
What area would that be?

I may, of course, be simply reflecting that most of the funerals I've been to have been following essentially Bible Belt evangelical custom, plus a paucity of wakes being mentioned in accounts of funerals I've seen. Maybe it's more widespread than I realize. But I was also thinking of articles like this:
Quote:It used to be the custom in most Celtic countries in Europe for mourners to keep watch or vigil over their dead until they were buried — this was called a "wake".

... thinking it was more of a European thing. Even descriptions of actual wakes in the US and Canada don't overtly mention mourners or mourning ... it was more of a vigil originally, and now, really a "viewing". Which brings me back to the original context of that conversation which was that the poster found funerals in her area to be uncomfortable because of the histrionics of mourning (or so I took her to mean).
07-06-2017, 05:16 AM
(06-06-2017 10:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Then I get naked and do cartwheels...

[Image: ba4.jpg]

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
10-06-2017, 08:30 AM
This is a strange one, my Dad died in February, he was an atheist and he wanted to be cremated but he lived in Cyprus where cremation is still illegal and you can't have a funeral without a priest. I found myself at my atheist Dad's funeral being presided over by a Cof E vicar who my Dad had never even met.
I just stood there while this guy failed to mention my aunt (who was really upset) forgot to ask for donations to the cancer charity but remembered all of the stuff about dust and ashes and Jesus. I just stared at the guy during the prayers because I knew my Dad wouldn't have wanted him there and I never pretend to pray. It was awful for my stepmum too because she felt she couldn't really do what my Dad would have wanted.
I'm glad I don't believe in an afterlife coz I wouldn't want my Dad watching everyone crying while some stranger in a frock says a load of tired, fictional platitudes.
I was glad when it was over and we all went to the pub, put my Dad's tunes on and celebrated him properly.
[+] 3 users Like monkeygirl's post
10-06-2017, 08:41 AM
(10-06-2017 08:30 AM)monkeygirl Wrote:  This is a strange one, my Dad died in February, he was an atheist and he wanted to be cremated but he lived in Cyprus where cremation is still illegal and you can't have a funeral without a priest. I found myself at my atheist Dad's funeral being presided over by a Cof E vicar who my Dad had never even met.
I just stood there while this guy failed to mention my aunt (who was really upset) forgot to ask for donations to the cancer charity but remembered all of the stuff about dust and ashes and Jesus. I just stared at the guy during the prayers because I knew my Dad wouldn't have wanted him there and I never pretend to pray. It was awful for my stepmum too because she felt she couldn't really do what my Dad would have wanted.
I'm glad I don't believe in an afterlife coz I wouldn't want my Dad watching everyone crying while some stranger in a frock says a load of tired, fictional platitudes.
I was glad when it was over and we all went to the pub, put my Dad's tunes on and celebrated him properly.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your dad and that you weren't able to honor his wishes due to stupid laws that are mostly based on religion.

I, too, have been to funeral services for people that were led by clergy who knew nothing about the person other than a few scant details. They aren't honoring the person's life...they are forcing people to honor their god.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-06-2017, 11:27 AM
It depends...

Who's the stiff????

If it was my ex wife, I'd either practice juggling or see if anyone was up for a game of Jenga......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.