How should an atheist behave at a religious funeral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2017, 11:34 AM
RE: How should an atheist behave at a religious funeral?
(07-06-2017 04:59 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 06:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  May be regional. There are lots of wakes here, most of which aren't Catholic. I think most in my area do have wakes, actually.
What area would that be?

I may, of course, be simply reflecting that most of the funerals I've been to have been following essentially Bible Belt evangelical custom, plus a paucity of wakes being mentioned in accounts of funerals I've seen. Maybe it's more widespread than I realize. But I was also thinking of articles like this:
Quote:It used to be the custom in most Celtic countries in Europe for mourners to keep watch or vigil over their dead until they were buried — this was called a "wake".

... thinking it was more of a European thing. Even descriptions of actual wakes in the US and Canada don't overtly mention mourners or mourning ... it was more of a vigil originally, and now, really a "viewing". Which brings me back to the original context of that conversation which was that the poster found funerals in her area to be uncomfortable because of the histrionics of mourning (or so I took her to mean).
OK, yeah, it's more of a viewing. Usually, in the southeastern USA, the family mourns as friends visit and view.

In Nova Scotia, we were mostly Catholic frogs, so it was more just a viewing. My father's family (County Cork, Ireland) had more of what you mentioned.

I was just lumping them all together into the same category. But you're right when I differentiate between an actual wake versus what many friends and acquaintances call it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2017, 03:15 PM
You should roll your eyes, sigh audibly in exasperation, and occasionally smack your forehead. Yes

Laughing out loud is, however, a tad rude. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-06-2017, 12:59 AM
(10-06-2017 03:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  You should roll your eyes, sigh audibly in exasperation, and occasionally smack your forehead. Yes

Laughing out loud is, however, a tad rude. Dodgy

You been watching too many Kirk Cameron movies there grandpa? Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
11-06-2017, 07:15 AM
At my dad's funeral I merely sat at the back of the church and observed the proceedings. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
11-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Why would you act any differently at a religious funeral, just because you're an atheist?
[+] 1 user Likes Angra Mainyu's post
12-06-2017, 04:58 AM
(11-06-2017 07:37 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Why would you act any differently at a religious funeral, just because you're an atheist?

> Because it's beneath an atheist's dignity to pray or sing hymns. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
12-06-2017, 05:31 AM
(12-06-2017 04:58 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 07:37 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Why would you act any differently at a religious funeral, just because you're an atheist?

> Because it's beneath an atheist's dignity to pray or sing hymns. Sleepy

"I can come, just don't expect me to pretend to be something I'm not."

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post