How should parents deconvert their indoctrinated children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 02:50 PM
RE: How should parents deconvert their indoctrinated children?
Find a big ass picture book about all the bigger religions of the world, with pictures of churches and synagogues and mosques etc. Art from all the different religions and so on. Leave it laying around and let them look at it.

They may or may not start asking questions. But it's a good start because it will guide them to think of religion as a cultural thing and not as an exclusive club with a ticket to heaven.

It's probably good too to add more of books like that as time goes, about dinosaurs with pics (but the adult versions), the universe, animals of the world, the development of cars, and what have you. This then reduces religion's importance to be on equal level with many other interesting and curious things.

They will grow to realize that there is much more to everything than meets the eye, and they will get inquisitive, and that's one step away from being a skeptic.

Of course the effectiveness of this approach depends on age - the younger, the better.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
(03-11-2013 02:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Find a big ass picture book about all the bigger religions of the world, with pictures of churches and synagogues and mosques etc. Art from all the different religions and so on. Leave it laying around and let them look at it.

They may or may not start asking questions. But it's a good start because it will guide them to think of religion as a cultural thing and not as an exclusive club with a ticket to heaven.

I like that idea, make each religion like astrology, if your born on x day the you are y religion .

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
03-11-2013, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 04:28 PM by freetoreason.)
Thanks for all the helpful replies. We have been doing the phased approach for awhile and it has worked beautifully. We just stopped going to church, praying, bible reading, etc. The only sort of announcement was about not going to church, and the response was 'we don't have to go?'.

I think the kids were always pretty skeptical, asking obvious questions like who created god, doesn't everything have an end, how can three be one? While we haven't yet directly addressed unbelief in the supernatural or the central tenants of Christianity, I don't think it will be an issue. The kids have really blossomed since they stopped being told they were sinners and that the purpose of their life is to glorify god. We have always encouraged science and taught theistic evolution, just ignoring the inconvenient parts of the bible. So the adjustments there aren't too significant.

If you watch the last minute of the video posted at the bottom of page one (thanks!), that's the scary part. http://youtu.be/T1mNVBp1gR8 The conversation about death and the absence of an afterlife, for kids who have grown up believing in one. He talks about his child crying for 20 hours. I believe this issue is the greatest deterrent to Christians embracing rationality, even when they plainly see they can't reconcile their scriptures to it.

I welcome thoughts on this particular issue, which may be worthy of its own thread, or perhaps has been covered many times here. For believing or unbelieving kids. Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.