How superstitious do you have to be to be considered "superstitious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 09:37 PM
How superstitious do you have to be to be considered "superstitious"?
Say you consider yourself a rational person, and so do others. But you keep a lucky penny "just incase". Or that you knock on wood when you think something bad about a loved one "just incase".

The rational you tell yourself is "well, the action only takes a second, so what's the harm?"

So, how superstitious do you have to be considered superstitious?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 10:14 PM
RE: How superstitious do you have to be to be considered "superstitious"?
(26-05-2013 09:37 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Say you consider yourself a rational person, and so do others. But you keep a lucky penny "just incase". Or that you knock on wood when you think something bad about a loved one "just incase".

The rational you tell yourself is "well, the action only takes a second, so what's the harm?"

So, how superstitious do you have to be considered superstitious?

Not sure. I know I still have a lot of little idiosyncrasies that I still fall into, even when I laugh at myself for doing them. Most of them are just habit....a remnant of echoes of OCD behavior that I paid attention to when I was younger. Nothing more.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
26-05-2013, 11:50 PM
It is kind of OCD, isn't it? Baseball players are like that. And I played an extensive amount of baseball in my life. The one thing that still hangs with me is, if I'm kind of secretly planning something... I don't want to say anything or I'll jinx it.

I think it might be the only superstition I ever really had with any degree of performance attached. All that other stuff; walking under a ladder, salt over the shoulder, Macbeth uttered in a theater, whistling backstage... all laughable crap.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-05-2013, 03:09 AM
As Kim said, it's all OCD. If you're keeping a penny "just in case", you're being superstitious and OCD. Simple as that.

Out of curiosity, do you (whomever may be reading this) also pray to the god of Christianity "just in case"? If not, why? A quick prayer is just as good as grabbing a penny or knocking on some wood. Maybe cross yourself real quick before driving out on the highway or stepping on a plane.

After all, it only takes a second of your time and what's the harm?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2013, 06:57 AM
(27-05-2013 03:09 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  As Kim said, it's all OCD. If you're keeping a penny "just in case", you're being superstitious and OCD. Simple as that.

Out of curiosity, do you (whomever may be reading this) also pray to the god of Christianity "just in case"? If not, why? A quick prayer is just as good as grabbing a penny or knocking on some wood. Maybe cross yourself real quick before driving out on the highway or stepping on a plane.

After all, it only takes a second of your time and what's the harm?

As much as I hate to admit it, in extreme situations yes. My faith scars are still relatively fresh.

Damn you Pascal!!! Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
27-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I agree with what people have said regarding OCD.

Once you actually acknowledge that what you are doing wont have an effect, then it just becomes a habit I suppose.

However there must still be a teeny bit of faith there.....

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
27-05-2013, 07:11 AM
All above are good points...to the original question...I think you are considered to be a superstitious person if those superstitions actually alter things you do or don't do...if there is a real effect on your life in some way.

If you spend time worrying that you didn't throw salt over your shoulder or you didn't knock on wood...then you may have wandered into woo territory.

I still will "knock wood" but am very tongue in cheek about it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-05-2013, 09:57 AM
You are or you are not.
AFAIK there is not "superstition scale".

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
27-05-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't know KVron...I really think some of it is habit...often picked up from family or community. Something that is seen as superstitious from the outside but not really a conscious act.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-05-2013, 10:47 AM
(27-05-2013 09:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't know KVron...I really think some of it is habit...often picked up from family or community. Something that is seen as superstitious from the outside but not really a conscious act.

When those habits are based on superstitions, should people be considered superstitious? I think they should be.

I also think all humans have at least a few superstitious behaviors:

Quote:From a simpler perspective, natural selection will tend to reinforce a tendency to generate weak associations. If there is a strong survival advantage to making correct associations, then this will outweigh the negatives of making many incorrect, "superstitious" associations.

(Kevin R. Foster; Hanna Kokko (2009). "The evolution of superstitious and superstition-like behaviour")

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]