How superstitious do you have to be to be considered "superstitious"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2013, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 04:20 PM by Misanthropik.)
RE: How superstitious do you have to be to be considered "superstitious"?
(27-05-2013 06:57 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 03:09 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  As Kim said, it's all OCD. If you're keeping a penny "just in case", you're being superstitious and OCD. Simple as that.

Out of curiosity, do you (whomever may be reading this) also pray to the god of Christianity "just in case"? If not, why? A quick prayer is just as good as grabbing a penny or knocking on some wood. Maybe cross yourself real quick before driving out on the highway or stepping on a plane.

After all, it only takes a second of your time and what's the harm?

As much as I hate to admit it, in extreme situations yes. My faith scars are still relatively fresh.

Damn you Pascal!!! Weeping

I recall a time like that as well. It was what kept me going to the Memorial. "Well, just in case Jehovah is real. Better just to be safe."

Then I realized that Jehovah wasn't the only possible god. By going to the Memorial, I could be pissing off any number of other gods who didn't want me remembering the death of this false god called "Jesus". With that, I stopped going. Now, I don't go simply because I see no reason to believe in any of the nonsense.

The only reasonable course of action in a world of uncertainty is to simply opt out altogether. (After all...what if crossing yourself or rubbing a penny are actually curses? Who determined that they would have positive benefits? And how did they determine this?)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 04:35 PM
(27-05-2013 04:16 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The only reasonable course of action in a world of uncertainty is to simply opt out altogether. (After all...what if crossing yourself or rubbing a penny are actually curses? Who determined that they would have positive benefits? And how did they determine this?)

As an interesting side note, a few superstitions may have evolved from actual necessity. I do know that whistling backstage in a theater was a longtime superstition - still is. However, whistling was also the way the scenery men were signaled to drop the massive backdrops for a new scene - a whistle meant all clear, go ahead and drop. It could be quite dangerous to whistle - as one was surely advised when visiting any backstage during performance.

Not really certain where that Macbeth one came from but I have my suspicions. One can certainly speculate that walking under a ladder might carry an obvious potential risk factor for all involved. I think fear is something that easily attaches itself to thoughts of protection and we further make the connection in our mind with something completely innocuous.

For the greatest of sentient creatures, we often think ourselves vulnerable - there's something deep down that keeps telling us this. So, our mind whips out the amulet that attests to our "specialness" in the face of fear; our mind fights with our mind.

For such "big brains", humans can be pretty stupid. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
28-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I think that it would count as OCD in some circumstances. I think whether or not a behavior is actually superstitious depends on the motivation.

For example, I do have OCD. As a kid, I would step on the same number of sidewalk cracks with each foot as I walked, or attempt to avoid them altogether. I don't do this anymore, but avoiding the cracks superficially looks exactly the same as someone who literally believes it will "break their mother's back," as the saying goes. The difference is the motivation for doing so.

As for picking up pennies, what if you're really fucking poor and you just want any money lying around?
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
28-05-2013, 05:20 PM
(28-05-2013 05:15 PM)amyb Wrote:  I think that it would count as OCD in some circumstances. I think whether or not a behavior is actually superstitious depends on the motivation.

For example, I do have OCD. As a kid, I would step on the same number of sidewalk cracks with each foot as I walked, or attempt to avoid them altogether. I don't do this anymore, but avoiding the cracks superficially looks exactly the same as someone who literally believes it will "break their mother's back," as the saying goes. The difference is the motivation for doing so.

As for picking up pennies, what if you're really fucking poor and you just want any money lying around?

I did the exact same thing with the sidewalk cracks, it even had to be on the right part of the foot evenly to feel right. I always knew it was just weird and was able to laugh at it, but I did it just the same. I still get that strange urge when I'm walking down a sidewalk now. Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
28-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I get mad at myself for even thinking about it, my response to these passing thoughts is to go all out and dare the gods to do something about it.
Stepped on crack? I'll step on all of them! That kind of thing.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Makes me think of times I've been in religious places with people who claimed to be atheists, yet would get nervous if I said something outrageously blasphemous. (I'm talking about things like weddings, or churches I've visited in other countries as a tourist, I don't actually attend religious services.)
28-05-2013, 06:00 PM
(28-05-2013 05:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I get mad at myself for even thinking about it, my response to these passing thoughts is to go all out and dare the gods to do something about it.

Haha! Yeah, I definitely hear you. The sidewalk thing is a little different, though. It's a not a superstition thing, more like a classic OCD thing. You know like those unfortunate souls who have to turn a light on and off three times whenever they go in a room, or touch the doorknob 17 times, shit like that. It never turned into anything weird with me, but I can empathize with that strange urge to repeat completely useless actions.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
28-05-2013, 06:20 PM
(28-05-2013 06:00 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 05:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I get mad at myself for even thinking about it, my response to these passing thoughts is to go all out and dare the gods to do something about it.

Haha! Yeah, I definitely hear you. The sidewalk thing is a little different, though. It's a not a superstition thing, more like a classic OCD thing. You know like those unfortunate souls who have to turn a light on and off three times whenever they go in a room, or touch the doorknob 17 times, shit like that. It never turned into anything weird with me, but I can empathize with that strange urge to repeat completely useless actions.

OK, maybe I have a bit of OCD in me, I know my wife will say I have more than a just a bit Cool

Anyway I never have to touch the doorknob 17 times...the knob maybe...Ohmy

Sorry Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I can't understand how this thread could have gone on so long without someone posting Stevie Wonder...I mean that's like bad luck isn't?

28-05-2013, 06:29 PM
(28-05-2013 05:50 PM)amyb Wrote:  Makes me think of times I've been in religious places with people who claimed to be atheists, yet would get nervous if I said something outrageously blasphemous. (I'm talking about things like weddings, or churches I've visited in other countries as a tourist, I don't actually attend religious services.)

I know what you're saying, I can't walk into a cathedral or church without saying something under my breath like "what a waste of fucking money". Yes