How the NRA killed the debate.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 10:15 PM
How the NRA killed the debate.
See how the NRA killed scientific enquiry on gun control on Theocracidal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 10:20 PM
RE: How the NRA killed the debate.
I wish they had citations or more evidence. Links.....anything that doesn't smack of opinion.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

14-01-2013, 10:46 PM
(14-01-2013 10:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wish they had citations or more evidence. Links.....anything that doesn't smack of opinion.
That is what the citations at the bottom are for.
14-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Um...

"The research also showed the increased risk of suicide by gun when a gun is present."

Well then, it has to be the guns that cause suicide. After all, no one would ever commit suicide by, say, slicing their wrists or eating a handful of sleeping pills or hanging themselves or jumping out a window....

In a related study, the risk of pregnancy increases when a man and a woman are present.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
15-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Govt research aside. There is a lot of good information available on guns. This is one of the best sites out there.

http://www.gunpolicy.org

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
15-01-2013, 12:07 AM
(14-01-2013 11:47 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Um...

"The research also showed the increased risk of suicide by gun when a gun is present."

Well then, it has to be the guns that cause suicide. After all, no one would ever commit suicide by, say, slicing their wrists or eating a handful of sleeping pills or hanging themselves or jumping out a window....

In a related study, the risk of pregnancy increases when a man and a woman are present.
It correlation has several contributing factors, It is harder fail with a gun, access become opportunity, suicide by gun may be messy, but blowing one brains out is thought to be painless by the suicidal.
15-01-2013, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 01:48 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
The biggest problem I currently see in the whole gun debate is the whole 'keep-the-sharp-objects-from-the-little-people' attitude toward gun control. Nobody ever blames the lunatics or the criminals anymore. Or the parents who raised them. Or the teachers, classmates, doctors, psychologists, counsellors, employers, and clergy who saw the warning signs and didn't do jack shit to intervene. No it's the guns. That disconnect baffles me.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
15-01-2013, 12:39 AM
(14-01-2013 10:46 PM)witerat Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 10:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I wish they had citations or more evidence. Links.....anything that doesn't smack of opinion.
That is what the citations at the bottom are for.

I read those and wasn't impressed. More evidence is needed. This peice makes some pretty serious claims. I would like to see more evidence than what was given.

15-01-2013, 01:01 AM
(15-01-2013 12:39 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 10:46 PM)witerat Wrote:  That is what the citations at the bottom are for.

I read those and wasn't impressed. More evidence is needed. This peice makes some pretty serious claims. I would like to see more evidence than what was given.
What are you looking for?
15-01-2013, 01:41 AM
(15-01-2013 12:07 AM)witerat Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 11:47 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Um...

It correlation has several contributing factors, It is harder fail with a gun, access become opportunity, suicide by gun may be messy, but blowing one brains out is thought to be painless by the suicidal.

There are millions of people who own guns; some are probably at one time or another suicidal at one time or another and didn't end their lives at all. I would guess from my personal experience most if not all people who commit suicide using a gun, have attempted suicide in other ways before.

I'm hardly a NRA fan, so I'd like to see more than a memo and conjecture, coupled with outdated medical journal. I dismiss msnbc almost as quickly as I dismiss their polar opposite Fox News.