How theist recruit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2010, 08:07 PM
How theist recruit
I was watching a commercial earlier. It was a local church trying to get people to join. It started off saying things such as, "Need help with alchoholism, drug addiction, depression, or other problems? Then come to christ!" It made me realize that this is not the only case. The campus outreach program at my college says the same things to people. Things like, "Need help with stress, anxiety, or other problmes? Then come to our next meeting, and grow in your faith!" It is like the church tells people that are going through rough times in life, and are struggling with problems, that religion is the only solution, that there is no other way out. What do you all think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2010, 09:51 PM

RE: How theist recruit
Yeah, I remember a while back there was Scientology commercials on my local channels, very creepy commercials. To be honest, they kind of reminded me of those vintage Heaven's Gate cult videos that were circulating around my area.

To be honest, they are a business and they are doing this to make money. Sure, their business practices are destructive and unethical, but they are a business and their purpose is to make money.
Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2010, 02:58 PM
That is when the recruitment works the best - when they can take advantage of desperate situations or when people are vulnerable. And of course the thing to remember as well is that EVERYONE has problems at some point in life, if not almost constantly.

That's why you hear such people talking about how Jesus saved them from alcoholism, drug abuse, violent situations, etc. That's why so many theists need to raise their children in their faith, because children's minds are so pliable.

It's a neat trick.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
18-05-2010, 03:00 PM

(18-05-2010 02:58 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  That is when the recruitment works the best - when they can take advantage of desperate situations or when people are vulnerable. And of course the thing to remember as well is that EVERYONE has problems at some point in life, if not almost constantly.

That's why you hear such people talking about how Jesus saved them from alcoholism, drug abuse, violent situations, etc. That's why so many theists need to raise their children in their faith, because children's minds are so pliable.

It's a neat trick.

True, but its still pretty stupid of them to force it on their kids because they had a moment of stupidity taking over them.
18-05-2010, 03:35 PM
(18-05-2010 03:00 PM)alchron Wrote:  
(18-05-2010 02:58 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  That is when the recruitment works the best - when they can take advantage of desperate situations or when people are vulnerable. And of course the thing to remember as well is that EVERYONE has problems at some point in life, if not almost constantly.

It's a neat trick.

True, but its still pretty stupid of them to force it on their kids because they had a moment of stupidity taking over them.
Yes, but none of them see it that way in the least. Trust me, I live with it. It's a seamless brainwashing where they are so convinced that they're right and following some "true path" and that they are only teaching their kids what is right, in the same way you teach a kid that 2+2=4. It's a total crock, seeing as how I can prove to you that 2+2=4 and they can't even prove that their god exists, but that's how ingrained it is.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
18-05-2010, 03:39 PM

(18-05-2010 03:35 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(18-05-2010 03:00 PM)alchron Wrote:  

It's a neat trick.

Yes, but none of them see it that way in the least. Trust me, I live with it. It's a seamless brainwashing where they are so convinced that they're right and following some "true path" and that they are only teaching their kids what is right, in the same way you teach a kid that 2+2=4. It's a total crock, seeing as how I can prove to you that 2+2=4 and they can't even prove that their god exists, but that's how ingrained it is.

Which is why their needs to be a law put in the books that makes child indoctrination illegal because it would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor in my book. If a child cannot make their own decision on what they believe and why, then they shouldn't be forced to by their parents. Just my thoughts on the process that they try to make it sound right, it would be no different than teaching your child how to steal and making it sound like a game to them.
20-05-2010, 12:51 AM

I shared this thread on my hi5 group !
Regards
20-05-2010, 08:31 AM
They must be breeding!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-05-2010, 12:09 AM

I have this posted on my yahoo buzz
Regards
22-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Religion, has a psychological impact. When you are low, you might think about God.

"Religion is the opiate of the people." -Karl Marx