How to De-convert a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2011, 10:19 PM
RE: How to De-convert a Christian
(18-06-2011 11:12 AM)Zach Wrote:  You're approaching it from a completely different angle than I was thinking of, but yours makes more sense. If it can be demonstrated that the Bible is a useless source of accurate information, then that pretty much nips the problem in the bud. No Bible, no basis for any of this harmful belief system.

I don't know that much about the Bible's origins, but I would be interested in learning. I'd love to read the book you wrote, any kind of research or information that I could trace back to an original source or verify myself would be very helpful.

I do have one concern, however. Explaining the inaccuracy of the Bible to someone who wishes to believe it's accurate might still be difficult. You can provide evidence and convince a person how long after the supposed resurrection the gospels were written. But they won't accept that this makes them inaccurate. You would need to explain why eyewitness testimony is unreliable, why retelling a story for decades will alter the story significantly, etc. These may be facts, but when pressed to do so a person can retreat very far into ignorance trying to cling to a belief.

edit: I took a look at your website. Disappointed the book isn't out yet, but I can't wait to get it when it is released Smile

Hi Zach, thankyou so much for expressing an interest in my book.
I'll tell you a bit more. We can use the the bible to discredit the bible. For eg, why did Paul never mention Jesus' supposed teachings? Answer...they hadn't been made up yet.
eg. why did James, the brother of Jesus,not mention the resurrection? Answer there was no resurrection
eg there are many examples of the words of jesus contradicting paul
eg it can be proven from the bible jesus was a terrorist...see my thread
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2011, 10:37 PM
But Buddy.... in Clockwork Orange the information overload treatment failed to keep Alex from being a brutal psychopath. I would definitely say those random outbursts of fundamentalism your two de-converts show would be a general experience within this program.

For some reason I just love Hier Kommt Alex by Die Toten Hosen, it's one of my favorite punk songs though no one realizes that it's from A Clockwork Orange.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
19-06-2011, 01:13 PM
(18-06-2011 09:42 PM)Zach Wrote:  
(18-06-2011 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why would you even want to try? Just to be mischievous? It'd be like telling my daughter there is no Santa Claus, or Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy. I didn't need to say anything, she figured it out on her own. They'll catch up on their own. It's just taking them a little longer than expected. Wink

Because I'm a God-hating, baby-killing, anti-American, atheist heathen who likes to ruin everyone's fun Tongue

Shit, I keep forgetting that part. I need to start writing notes to self or something.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user