How to Get Better Leadership in the Two Party System

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2016, 07:27 AM
How to Get Better Leadership in the Two Party System
I've written about this before -- I believe that we're getting the worst possible leadership now -- because each side withholds information about the opposition until after the primaries. This ensures they're not running against the best the other side has to offer - but more frequently the worst.

This must change.

We should require each presidential candidate to publish IN WRITING -- an essay of who they think is the BEST that the other side should run for the office.

Of course - you're going to say "They won't do that!!"....

Who said we should make it optional?????

If it was REQUIRED of the candidates to say who they think is the best the other side has to offer --- it would make the smear campaigns of today - a thing of the past.

Or -- it would be very easy to go back to the essay - and see that the writer is a liar.......

We'd be the winner.

We'd be far more likely to get good leadership from honest people, who are willing to put the countries interest ahead of their own personal ambitions......................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2016, 07:57 AM
RE: How to Get Better Leadership in the Two Party System
Or maybe if each party exercised some control by vetting who will represent them instead of letting every Jane, Dick and Harry simply throw their name into the hat.

One would think that the collective wisdom of the elected officials who are put into positions of responsibility would be able to put forward qualified nominees.

I suppose this idea is just as far-fetched though.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-10-2016, 01:39 PM
(14-10-2016 07:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If it was REQUIRED of the candidates to say who they think is the best the other side has to offer --- it would make the smear campaigns of today - a thing of the past.

Or -- it would be very easy to go back to the essay - and see that the writer is a liar.......

Of course, it's pretty easy now to see that they're liars, and that doesn't seem to bother most people. With that in mind, what's to stop them from saying "Yes, Scumbag McNasty is the best the other side has to offer!" and then changing their minds (snicker) after he's nominated?
14-10-2016, 01:41 PM
(14-10-2016 07:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've written about this before -- I believe that we're getting the worst possible leadership now -- because each side withholds information about the opposition until after the primaries. This ensures they're not running against the best the other side has to offer - but more frequently the worst.

If the other Republican candidates had spent a little on oppo research on Trump he wouldn't be the candidate.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-10-2016, 02:19 PM
(14-10-2016 01:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 07:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If it was REQUIRED of the candidates to say who they think is the best the other side has to offer --- it would make the smear campaigns of today - a thing of the past.

Of course, it's pretty easy now to see that they're liars, and that doesn't seem to bother most people. With that in mind, what's to stop them from saying "Yes, Scumbag McNasty is the best the other side has to offer!" and then changing their minds (snicker) after he's nominated?

They could.

Then everyone would know that they're a lying assbag -- and they'd vote for the other guy.....................

If they lie - they will get caught at some point....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-10-2016, 02:51 PM
1. Change laws so special interest groups are removed from any influence.

2. Limit the amount of funding that any campaign is allowed to use to something very small (to level the playing field and nullify any loopholes or plans to circumvent #1).

3. Reduce this ridiculous 2-year campaigning time to something more like 2 or 3 months.

4. Set TV time for candidates so they can get their messages out to more people with less expense and travel (and thus don't need the 2 years or huge donations).

5. Make smearing opponents an automatic disqualification. Doubtless, due to smearing, many of the best candidates don't ever enter the running.

6. Make it illegal for external parties (PACs, etc.) to get involved in influencing the elections. Campaigning and ads should come from the political parties involved only.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
14-10-2016, 03:28 PM
I'd be all for limiting the amount of advertising a candidate can do --- but that sort of takes a giant piss down the neck of free speech......................

14-10-2016, 09:41 PM
Maybe just fix the first-past-the-post voting system that inevitably leads to strategic voting with the outcome always being a reduction to a two party system?

That, and maybe make unlimited campaign donations not so unlimited, or legal. That'd probably help.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-10-2016, 09:42 PM
(14-10-2016 03:28 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'd be all for limiting the amount of advertising a candidate can do --- but that sort of takes a giant piss down the neck of free speech......................

No it doesn't. Free Speech means the government can't interfere with your speech (with some exceptions). Nobody owes you a soapbox and a megaphone, or a right to purchase them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-10-2016, 09:52 PM
One person, one vote. Every step of the way. I'm not sure of where the votes should take place along the way in the process, but in a true democratic process I think this would be a must.

We have the technology to make it a reality, I don't know why we don't use it...wait, I do know why... Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post