How to Live Well--My Philosophy of Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2016, 10:46 AM
RE: How to Live Well--My Philosophy of Life
(26-12-2016 11:48 PM)Philosofer123 Wrote:  Constructive feedback is welcome.

Interact more. Be interesting and/or amusing. Give me some hope that the effort of clicking your link will actually be rewarding.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2016, 10:51 AM
(27-12-2016 01:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Why not give us the updated parts from the last time you asked us this question in 2014?

Or the first time, in 2013?

One-way conversations are kinda tedious.

Drinking Beverage

Maybe his philosophy of life is being redundant Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
27-12-2016, 10:52 AM
On a serious note, I agree with others, Philosopher re: posting an excerpt. I like philosophy and would be interested in seeing what you have to say.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
27-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Gee it is really kind of sad. He has been coming around for two years and every single one of his posts is a plead to read his little essay. My advice would be to get out more and become more curious about others. Maybe limit yourself to 12 hours a day of self absorption to begin with and then taper off?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
27-12-2016, 11:02 AM
(27-12-2016 10:23 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I'm bored, so I clicked the first link.

Quote:In the first six pages of the document, I develop the following positions: atheism, afterlife skepticism, ultimate responsibility impossibilism, moral skepticism, existential skepticism, thanatophobic irrationalism, and negative hedonism. I conclude that aiming for peace of mind is the best way to go about living well.

The remainder of the document primarily elaborates upon ways to achieve and maintain peace of mind. I have found many of these methods to be invaluable in practice.

I dunno. I don't see myself clicking the second link.

Actually, this is a tad embarrassing ... I'm working on my own thesis (with graphs and flow diagrams and everything) ... not sure I want to post it now. Sadcryface

Oddly enough, I think I'm reaching the conclusion that "peace of mind" is not just "the best way to go about living well" but it's actually a biological imperative... we have no choice.

Ohmy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-12-2016, 01:10 PM
(27-12-2016 11:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 10:23 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I'm bored, so I clicked the first link.

Actually, this is a tad embarrassing ... I'm working on my own thesis (with graphs and flow diagrams and everything) ... not sure I want to post it now. Sadcryface

Oddly enough, I think I'm reaching the conclusion that "peace of mind" is not just "the best way to go about living well" but it's actually a biological imperative... we have no choice.

Ohmy

The difference between you and this drive-by poster is that you have bothered to become a cherished member of this community.

We are interested in what you have to say because we know you say interesting things. I know I certainly am.

But for the OP, I have no idea what sort of wack-job this guy might be. I certainly don't need to go from a religion that insisted that I was doing it wrong and that it had the only way to "live well" to some random idiot on the internet who wants me to read HIS advice for how to live well, as if there's some flaw in my current method. It's the same "peddlers of bullshit... for sale!" methodology.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-12-2016, 01:13 PM
(27-12-2016 12:49 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 11:48 PM)Philosofer123 Wrote:  Please click here for a brief summary and link to the full 14-page document.

Constructive feedback is welcome.

If you would be so kind, can you provide a summary in a paragraph here instead?

I read it. To summarize - "Sleep in a cool room and read the Tao Te Ching." I've heard worse advice.

#sigh
27-12-2016, 01:28 PM
(27-12-2016 01:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 12:49 AM)Aliza Wrote:  If you would be so kind, can you provide a summary in a paragraph here instead?

I read it. To summarize - "Sleep in a cool room and read the Tao Te Ching." I've heard worse advice.

Well, I already do/did both of those things. So I guess my methodology wasn't wrong after all. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-12-2016, 02:06 PM
(27-12-2016 11:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Ohmy

A) You're asking for feedback and adjusting your thesis, if necessary.
B) You'd have to spot this guy about 75 points of IQ in a debate. Drinking Beverage

Big differences, there.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post