"How to Share the Gospel With an Atheist" (title of linked article)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 09:01 PM
RE: "How to Share the Gospel With an Atheist" (title of linked article)
I couldn't get past this statement -

"Some atheists like to shock Christians with the fact that they don’t believe in God."

Atheists let others know that they're atheists, for the shock value? Really? He actually believes this? Wow.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
29-11-2013, 10:35 PM
#4 Is perhaps the most pretentious for a theist to make. It comes from a passage in Pauls letter to the Romans that says:
Quote:"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

It is however prepostorous to a free-thinking 21st century person to understand that point but there it is from Paul.

Many 'apologists' base their strategy on this verse and use something called presupositional apologetics while at the same time challenging the atheistic presupositions, it ends up being a distraction from the underlying assumptions that the Theist has that even he can't see

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
02-12-2013, 09:56 AM
(29-11-2013 10:35 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  #4 Is perhaps the most pretentious for a theist to make. It comes from a passage in Pauls letter to the Romans that says:
Quote:"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

It is however prepostorous to a free-thinking 21st century person to understand that point but there it is from Paul.

Many 'apologists' base their strategy on this verse and use something called presupositional apologetics while at the same time challenging the atheistic presupositions, it ends up being a distraction from the underlying assumptions that the Theist has that even he can't see

This is the most annoying part of discussing religion with the religious. I've had more than a few discussions derailed because the religious person I was debating was unable to accept that I truly don't believe in a god. My BiL tries to use this type of reasoning on me all the time. I can't even follow the logic, it loops back on itself so many times. Something insane about how you can't disbelieve in something that doesn't exist, so my disbelief in god automatically means he exists and therefore I believe in him...

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
02-12-2013, 11:09 AM
(29-11-2013 01:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 01:31 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  A new kind of love story.

Sounds kinky... Drinking Beverage

Fifty Shades of Hell.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
"Calilasseia" posts a very good rebuttal to this blog here, second post down, #22:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/genera...l#p1865055

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
(28-11-2013 08:33 PM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  5. Frame the gospel as a love story (that just happens to be true.)

Baby murder, mass murder, rape, incest, slavery, condemnation of homosexuals, female subordination... can't you just feel all the love... Blink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post