How to Speak Hillbilly (Appalachian English Dialect)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: How to Speak Hillbilly (Appalachian English Dialect)
(17-12-2013 07:52 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 07:41 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I can't watch the videos, but I have definitely heard beautimus, sammch, and sketti. I consider them redneck slang.

Thanks. And the gay rapists from Deliverance? Are they rednecks or hillbillies?

Rednecks.
Rednecks can be dangerous. Hillbillies (at least where I'm from) are just home-spun, decent folk perhaps uneducated but harmless. Think seriously country in a mountain sort of way and you're there.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 08:22 AM
(17-12-2013 07:52 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 07:41 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I can't watch the videos, but I have definitely heard beautimus, sammch, and sketti. I consider them redneck slang.

Thanks. And the gay rapists from Deliverance? Are they rednecks or hillbillies?

No, those guys are "Swampers". Swamp people are a special breed of crazy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-12-2013, 11:18 AM
"Swampers" are the newest people who are being exploited IMO. I could probably name a dozen TV shows about "Swampers" that popped up over the past 10 years that does just that. Some may or may not see it as exploitation - it brings them money, but at the price of being ridiculed and creating a negative stereotype. The same thing happened to Hillbillies in ~20's to ~70's, except it didn't help us economically, just harmed us.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
22-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Am I just overlooking it, or did you forget "ya'll" and "all ya'll?"

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
22-12-2013, 08:19 PM
My friend in Georgia calls a shopping cart a buggie. I thought that was precious.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-12-2013, 09:04 PM
(22-12-2013 08:14 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Am I just overlooking it, or did you forget "ya'll" and "all ya'll?"

You'll sometimes hear "y'all" in Hillbilly Land, but it's more of a Redneck word. Hillbillies are more prone to saying "you'ns".

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
22-12-2013, 09:19 PM
(12-08-2013 08:36 AM)JAH Wrote:  Thanks for bumping this for whatever reason. I missed as I joined after the tread had been more or less disappeared.

It is a shame that between TV and other factors regional dialects have mostly disappeared in the US. As a child in California I would occasionally here the sound of Dust Bowl escapees, no more.

I can only hope that people "up in them hollers" keep it going.

When I was in NC they called them the "coves." And just in case anyone here should ever question my courage, I told Jesus jokes at the Friday night Old Fort Mountain Music Meetin'!! Ohmy Worship Slaves
22-12-2013, 09:22 PM
(17-12-2013 06:24 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:05 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Some of these words or phrases I don't realize isn't the norm until someone else points it out to me. A lot of the time people won't, because they don't want to be rude. I've never thought twice about pocketbook or hamburger meat. Huh That's just second nature to me. It's always easier to point out things from dialects other than your own, which is a bit ironic.

seems normal to me….pocketbook, hamburger meat, chipped ham, what else do you put in your buggy?

Your golf clubs, of course. Rolleyes
22-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Hollows, or Hollers, run between the mountains. Coves run right under them, or into them, depending on your perspective.

I live in a Hollow named after my grandmothers family.

22-12-2013, 09:38 PM
(22-12-2013 09:28 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Hollows, or Hollers, run between the mountains. Coves run right under them, or into them, depending on your perspective.

I live in a Hollow named after my grandmothers family.

I thought a Cove was a seaside cave.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense