How to Speak Hillbilly (Appalachian English Dialect)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 11:31 AM
RE: How to Speak Hillbilly (Appalachian English Dialect)
I wouldn't attempt to talk like a Newfie if I were you. Apparently is among the hardest accents to reproduce. That might explain why movies about Newfoundland often have actors from UK and Ireland. The accents are close but any Newfie can seperate the foreign actors from the homegrown ones.
By the way see The Grand Seduction. It was a good representation of Newfoundland humor and as such was a good representation of the culture. Plus it was just an all around good flick.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 12:33 PM
So "might could" isn't grammatically correct? Huh

I have used about 1/3 of those terms. Blush All but one of the phrases, but we all say "drunker'n cooter brown" in my neck'a the woods.

One of my favorites to use, mind you it mainly comes out when I'm talkin' to country folk, mos' 'specially when I cain't say "bullshit":
Din(t) dunnit = didn't do it (drop the T)

I only say cain't around my reaaaallly country side of the family. It just comes out. Otherwise it's more of a one and a half syllable word like cayunt. The more tired I am, the more syllables each word has. That side also says "Diddy" instead of "Dad".

Ooooo!!! Another favorite!
If you really want to put emphasis on the word whore, it's pronounced ho-were.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
04-03-2015, 12:38 PM
(04-03-2015 12:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  So "might could" isn't grammatically correct? Huh

I have used about 1/3 of those terms. Blush All but one of the phrases, but we all say "drunker'n cooter brown" in my neck'a the woods.

One of my favorites to use, mind you it mainly comes out when I'm talkin' to country folk, mos' 'specially when I cain't say "bullshit":
Din(t) dunnit = didn't do it (drop the T)

I only say cain't around my reaaaallly country side of the family. It just comes out. Otherwise it's more of a one and a half syllable word like cayunt. The more tired I am, the more syllables each word has. That side also says "Diddy" instead of "Dad".

Ooooo!!! Another favorite!
If you really want to put emphasis on the word whore, it's pronounced ho-were.

Years ago I worked with a couple of guys (father and son) thet were from yer neck a da woods. They introduced me to some of these terms/phrases.

The daily beatings will continue until morality improves.
06-03-2015, 12:08 AM
This thread's be brought back from the grave twice now Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
06-03-2015, 03:39 AM
(06-03-2015 12:08 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  This thread's be brought back from the grave twice now Big Grin

It will die when it has lost relevance.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Re: How to Speak Hillbilly (Appalachian English Dialect)
Unless regional dialects die out, this topic will probably stay relevant. Shy

I've tried to kill mine with proper pronunciation... but it hasn't went away completely.