How to achieve world peace...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2013, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2013 05:29 AM by Zat.)
RE: How to achieve world peace...
(16-03-2013 08:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Unfortunately all of his/her suggestions presuppose that whoever is left in charge (country governments, local governments, UN, police forces, committees) will act fairly and justly and from what I'm reading above power is being consolidated into fewer hands. Bad juju.

You are (the omnipotent alien) left in charge. You are completely fair and totally incorruptible. You can make the rules and you can enforce them.

This is an exercise in imagination and creativity.

Pretend that you could do anything you wanted to do -- how would you go about it if your aim was world peace?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2013, 05:35 AM
(16-03-2013 07:23 PM)Zat Wrote:  A very good friend of mine made this suggestion and thought that it could start an interesting thread.

I will copy it here, without adding/changing/deleting anything.

Feel free to comment.

Here it comes:

1. Hand over all the keys to all the military installations to the UN, who will then destroy 100% of the nuclear missiles, decommission 90% of tanks, submarines and weapons, reassign 80% of the ships, aircraft and land vehicles for civilian use (rescue, emergency, cleanup and relief operations) and keep only a small standing army (international and fully integrated, of course) for intervention in local flare-ups.

2. Set up international courts of arbitration for outstanding disputes between peoples - the administration of each ruling to be done by a peace-keeping committee for the first five years; the committee than reports back to the court with recommendations for amendment - when it's working, the ruling becomes final. Then the committee hands over control to the local elected governments.

3. Disarm all repressive regimes and police forces that have a record of harming the citizens. Leave honest police forces in place, with all their crime-fighting capability, but take away their crowd-control equipment. Collect and destroy as many private weapons as can be done without riots; stop the retailing of new weapons and all ammunition.

4. Remove all clergy from political office and influential positions near government. Take away their privileges regarding money-collection, wealth accumulation, tax-exemption and property ownership.

5. Repeat 4. with the richest 0.01% of the world's population and the top 100 banks.

6. Abolish compound interest; write off all current debts. Confiscate the ill-gotten gains of above groups; hand over land and stationary assets to local governments;collect the liquid assets in an international fund
to be used wherever most needed.

7. Now that governments don't have to spend most of their time waging war and serving the rich and godly, and have the wherewithal, they can get on with their proper job: taking care of the people who elect them, dealing with problems of energy and production and distribution.

I can't see all this happening, for reasons already explained by people above.

As much as I hate to say it: I don't think would peace is an achievable goal, at least not while us Humans are still around, we are simply too diverse in every possible way for all peoples to work efficiently in the manner which would be needed of world peace.
Oh course, our individuality and diversity is what makes our species interesting, no?

Unless of course you take the dictatorship approach: Crush all dissidents until everybody simply falls in line, but that system of course comes with its own faults, for example, most cannot even govern a small region effectively in such a manor, imagine the world, it would likely crumble in a matter of weeks after establishment.

Tell your friend they need to work on it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-03-2013, 05:42 AM
You mean, if you were an omnipotent alien with unlimited power, you wouldn't use it to abolish all nuclear weapons?

Of course you would, who wouldn't?

Nuclear weapons are a terrible danger (accident, sabotage, terrorism, etc).

Now, with this in mind, try to approach the other points, pretending that you could do anything you wanted.

If you have problems imagining it, I suggest you read the Arthur C. Clarke novel I recommended in the OP.

Fun stuff!
17-03-2013, 05:54 AM
(17-03-2013 05:42 AM)Zat Wrote:  You mean, if you were an omnipotent alien with unlimited power, you wouldn't use it to abolish all nuclear weapons?

Of course you would, who wouldn't?

Nuclear weapons are a terrible danger (accident, sabotage, terrorism, etc).

Now, with this in mind, try to approach the other points, pretending that you could do anything you wanted.

If you have problems imagining it, I suggest you read the Arthur C. Clarke novel I recommended in the OP.

Fun stuff!

If I were an all powerful omnipotent alien, I have extreme doubt that I'd give an ass about this filthy ape covered rock.

"I mean, look at them! They are barely even space faring! Not even worth going through Contact and Uplift for service in my Galactic Empire. Lets just set up some observation posts and watch them be primitive, make entertainment out of it; if we are lucky, they might save us some time and blow themselves up! Watch over them, tell me if the start progressing, I'll be taking an Imperial Nap."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
17-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Not a very enlightened attitude from an omnipotent alien, I would say. Sad
17-03-2013, 06:02 AM
What do you expect?

It is me being put in the shoes (or whatever) of an alien.

As far as I am currently concerned, we would be of little to no interest at all to an alien which is omnipotent and all powerful.

Unless of course we managed to master things like Nova bombs and started using them while in proximity of this alien.

17-03-2013, 06:08 AM
(17-03-2013 06:02 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  As far as I am currently concerned, we would be of little to no interest at all to an alien which is omnipotent and all powerful.

Why not pretend otherwise?

For the sake of an enjoyable and fun exercise in creativity and imagination?

I am sure you could do it if only you tried! Smile
17-03-2013, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2013 06:25 AM by Free Thought.)
(17-03-2013 06:08 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(17-03-2013 06:02 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  As far as I am currently concerned, we would be of little to no interest at all to an alien which is omnipotent and all powerful.

Why not pretend otherwise?

For the sake of an enjoyable and fun exercise in creativity and imagination?

I am sure you could do it if only you tried! Smile

alright, pretend that we would be of interest to what would likely be (going on anthropomorphic ideals) a Warlord of sorts.

Well starting from here, I can see why we might be of interest; I mean, we are quite the violent, warlike species aren't we? Given our individual adaptability and tenacity, we would likely make excellent units anywhere from Shock Troops to Cannon Fodder.

Assume this alien is some kind of gentle being, I doubt it would involve itself with us, after-all our species is drowned in the blood of our own, we don't have much to attract the care or attention of non-violent alien beings.

But I have never been the most imaginative type.

17-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Suppose you were sent here, by your Galactic Emperor, with the specific instruction of achieving world peace on planet Earth.

You have your orders, you have your powers -- how would you go about it?

Non-compliance with your emperor is not recommended! Big Grin

PS. Killing the entire species is an unacceptable solution!
17-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Actually, you are not allowed to kill anybody. Your orders are to use minimal force and use clever application of force instead.

The Overlords (aliens with practically unlimited powers) in Clarke's novel outlawed cruelty to animals. Next time they started a bull fight in Spain, the instant the bull was first wounded, everybody in the audience screamed with pain because they felt the same pain the bull was feeling (without actually physically harmed).

That was the last bullfight on Earth -- ever!

What if any political leader who started a speech based on racial hatred, would feel an uncontrollable itch and he would have to scratch like crazy in front of his followers. The itch would stop only when he stopped inciting violence.

How about making it psychologically impossible for humans to lie -- every time they would utter a known lie, they would choke up and could not say it?

Remember, you have unlimited power, you are Q from Star Trek (a much nicer Q) and you can do anything you want to achieve your goal: world peace.

Any other ideas?