How to achieve world peace...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2013, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2013 07:45 AM by TrulyX.)
RE: How to achieve world peace...
Well, it was named: "How to achieve world peace...". You also posed the question: "how would you go about it if your aim was world peace?"

That's a little serious, and sort of takes the fun out, by default.

Being sadistic is fun. The concept of a benevolent god is idiotic, but the evil god concept is amazing.

I don't know if I can do much better than reality, for torturing the living, however, so maybe you have a good point. I just think that any way you look at it, it comes off as a serious question, more so than a role-playing fantasy.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Well, if you want to be serious, I can't stop you... Wink

Have at it! Big Grin
18-03-2013, 08:40 AM
(17-03-2013 06:29 PM)Zat Wrote:  Well, if you want to be serious, I can't stop you... Wink

Have at it! Big Grin

I thought that is what I was doing and why we were having this discussion.

What did I miss?

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post
18-03-2013, 11:42 AM
(18-03-2013 08:40 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  What did I miss?
I don't know, but I missed it as well.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2013, 04:16 PM

You missed my repeated statement that I did not want to treat this subject seriously in this thread.

If you do want to treat it seriously, then first take a look at my thread called: "Proposal for a New Social Contract".

If you are a doctor of any talent, you don't try to solve the problem by suppressing the symptoms.

You try to find the underlying, fundamental cause of the problem and build up your solution from there.

You have to go back to basic principles, or you will be forever chasing your own tail.

Sorry, guys, there is no alternative.

Now, on the other hand, if we want to have some fun, we can imagine that we have Q-like powers (just as bemore did, god bless his soul) and speculate on what you could do.

I would aim for the 7-point plan in the OP -- you still need Q-like powers to make that happen! Big Grin
18-03-2013, 05:01 PM
(18-03-2013 04:16 PM)Zat Wrote:  

You missed my repeated statement that I did not want to treat this subject seriously in this thread.

If you do want to treat it seriously, then first take a look at my thread called: "Proposal for a New Social Contract".

If you are a doctor of any talent, you don't try to solve the problem by suppressing the symptoms.

You try to find the underlying, fundamental cause of the problem and build up your solution from there.

You have to go back to basic principles, or you will be forever chasing your own tail.

Sorry, guys, there is no alternative.

Now, on the other hand, if we want to have some fun, we can imagine that we have Q-like powers (just as bemore did, god bless his soul) and speculate on what you could do.

I would aim for the 7-point plan in the OP -- you still need Q-like powers to make that happen! Big Grin

I understood you didn't want it to be taken seriously, after your reply. What I don't understand is this: 'solve the worlds problems, but don't take it seriously'. To me, it seems as if you have to take it seriously, even with Q-like (whatever that is) powers. That was my point. Even if you have a creative way to go about solving the problems, the aim is still a serious one, in essence.

And I did actually answer the question, assuming the powers, in my first post, even though I thought the thread was intended to be serious, which is why I was asking 'what I missed', toward being serious.

Originally, I just didn't understand why you would put random solutions in place, when you were omnipotent, and could end the problems directly. That along with the end being a seemingly serious one.

And I'd disagree that you would need Q-like powers.

I will read the other thread, though.

18-03-2013, 06:05 PM
You made a good point TrulyX -- the topic is a VERY serious one, Q or no Q.

Sometime I just get too tired of the futility involved in superficial arguments that most often happen on forums. Sometime I just want to play make-believe.

It is so hard to tell people that solutions need to be built up from the ground up and no quick-fixes are possible.

I have been around for a long time and have observed the same confusion going around over and over and over each time as if it happened for the first time. After a while you just can't take it seriously any longer and want to escape into comic relief.

Sorry for being less than logical but I just get very tired of the same pattern time after time.

From your perspective, you are absolutely right.

From mine: human aspirations are so tragic that all you can do is run away from them.
18-03-2013, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 12:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
It's already happened. Just tell yer friend to visualize it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa4LOWmoHBJklf8x3WMJF...ydqn4Bi0ow]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
19-03-2013, 04:08 PM
BB, really brilliant!

Worthy of great praise and adulation!

(Is that the best you could say on the subject?)
22-03-2013, 08:40 PM
(16-03-2013 07:23 PM)Zat Wrote:  A very good friend of mine made this suggestion and thought that it could start an interesting thread.

I will copy it here, without adding/changing/deleting anything.

Feel free to comment.

Here it comes:

1. Hand over all the keys to all the military installations to the UN, who will then destroy 100% of the nuclear missiles, decommission 90% of tanks, submarines and weapons, reassign 80% of the ships, aircraft and land vehicles for civilian use (rescue, emergency, cleanup and relief operations) and keep only a small standing army (international and fully integrated, of course) for intervention in local flare-ups.

2. Set up international courts of arbitration for outstanding disputes between peoples - the administration of each ruling to be done by a peace-keeping committee for the first five years; the committee than reports back to the court with recommendations for amendment - when it's working, the ruling becomes final. Then the committee hands over control to the local elected governments.

3. Disarm all repressive regimes and police forces that have a record of harming the citizens. Leave honest police forces in place, with all their crime-fighting capability, but take away their crowd-control equipment. Collect and destroy as many private weapons as can be done without riots; stop the retailing of new weapons and all ammunition.

4. Remove all clergy from political office and influential positions near government. Take away their privileges regarding money-collection, wealth accumulation, tax-exemption and property ownership.

5. Repeat 4. with the richest 0.01% of the world's population and the top 100 banks.

6. Abolish compound interest; write off all current debts. Confiscate the ill-gotten gains of above groups; hand over land and stationary assets to local governments;collect the liquid assets in an international fund
to be used wherever most needed.

7. Now that governments don't have to spend most of their time waging war and serving the rich and godly, and have the wherewithal, they can get on with their proper job: taking care of the people who elect them, dealing with problems of energy and production and distribution.

Assumption: (copied in from Post #11 for those who read only the OP)

You are an omnipotent alien. You are completely fair and totally incorruptible. You can make the rules and you can enforce them.

Pretend that you could do anything you wanted to do -- how would you go about it if your aim was world peace?

This is an exercise in imagination and creativity.
these ideas might work, i dont really know. but i bet one would first have to kill a fuck load of people to get it started.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post