How to argue against prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-02-2014, 02:34 PM
How to argue against prayer
The whole prayer works thing is really bunk. This will be quick but if someone brings this up ask these questions:

Why does god not answer your prayers but not the ones for kids praying for food that are starving?

What makes your prayer more important then theirs?

If we have to work to make prayers work what the point of praying?

If only people that pray to your specific god to have it answered, then why do people of other religions have there prayers answered?

If it is demons answering their prayer, then how do you know that it's not their demons answer your prayers? How can you know without your holy book?

[Image: atheist_cat.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
07-02-2014, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 03:00 PM by mrlmichael.)
RE: How to argue against prayer
There was once a great flow chart demonstrating the stupidity of prayer, I wish I could find it.

Edit: Who would have thunk all you have to do is google image search "prayer flow chart"

Edit edit: I am still a newb, here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/pxjkrpo

[Image: search?q=prayer+flow+chart&safe=...B500%3B616]
[+] 1 user Likes mrlmichael's post
07-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Meh. They will just say that everything that's good is gods work. Everything bad is either satan or god working in mysterious ways. And other religions prayers getting answered is coincidence and luck.
Just tell em to fuck off and find something better to do.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
07-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I'd take an approach, similar to that flow chart, showing why it's a waste of time. The concept doesn't make much sense. The idea is that:
  • Things are happening, and
  • God is in charge of these things, and
  • These things are going to keep happening unless you ask God to change his mind.
It's very weird. Picture a person who gets cancer in a world with God who goes to him in prayer. If we start at the point where the person already has cancer, this will be resolved in precisely three ways:

1: God already intends to heal the person. He gave the person cancer because of [mysterious ways], but plans to heal the person. Prayer is unnecessary.

2: God is not going to remove the cancer; the person will die from it because of [mysterious ways]. Prayer is unnecessary.

3: God isn't planning on removing the cancer unless the person asks for it. Prayer will help in this case, although we are baffled as to why the person got cancer in the first place other than [mysterious ways], and possibly God wanting to feel better about people asking him to solve problems that he creates. Or something.

That's it. There's no other magical forth conclusion, and that whole thing is seriously fucked up. Bonus points if you ask if there are any added benefits to getting an entire congregation to pray on that person's behalf.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-02-2014, 05:14 PM
My favorite is still http://whywontgodhealamputees.com

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
07-02-2014, 06:02 PM
The next time someone offers to pray for me, I intend to give the following reply.

"No, please don't. Firstly I don't think it'll do any good, but if you insist on spending time doing it, then on the off chance that it does work I'd rather you spent your time praying for someone who really needs the help of an omnipotent god. I suggest starving children with AIDS in Africa. Pray for them instead."
07-02-2014, 06:09 PM
(07-02-2014 06:02 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  The next time someone offers to pray for me, I intend to give the following reply.

"No, please don't. Firstly I don't think it'll do any good, but if you insist on spending time doing it, then on the off chance that it does work I'd rather you spent your time praying for someone who really needs the help of an omnipotent god. I suggest starving children with AIDS in Africa. Pray for them instead."

It goes like this for me:

Some christian: I'll pray for you to find Jesus in your heart.

Me: Don't pray for me find evidence for me if you want me to accept Jesus so much. Also the heart does nothing but pump blood.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
07-02-2014, 08:58 PM
(07-02-2014 06:09 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Me: Don't pray for me find evidence for me if you want me to accept Jesus so much.

Gahh I had to read that sentence at least five times before I understood wtf you were trying to say! Censored run on sentences...

Punctuate!

"Don't pray for me. (Instead,)* Find evidence for me if you want me to accept Jesus so much"

*instead optional but helps with clarification.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
07-02-2014, 09:02 PM
(07-02-2014 06:09 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Some christian: I'll pray for you to find Jesus in your heart.

Its very irksome when Christians say that or any of it's variants.
[+] 2 users Like Deerdra's post
07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
That one is the worst Deebra, I agree. It is like they are saying you are not worthy of (insert whatever) until you have Jesus in your life.