How to argue against prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
RE: How to argue against prayer
Yep. There's always a measure of either one of these two things: a) what strikes me as drank-the-koolaid tone of voice and expression or b) false sincerity with a dose of condescension.

The worst is when it comes in the "pray for god to soften your heart" variety. That one makes me twitch. "Let us pray that mrlmichael's heart is softened so that he may accept Jesus as his savior." Yeah, makes you want to rage doesn't it? But I find that when you rage, you only get more of the same or a pitying look. It's passive aggressive.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deerdra's post
08-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Exactly. I usually don't rage though. I usually say something to the effect of "I opened my heart to Jesus and he stood me up, so now I operate under the assumption he isn't actually coming. However, unlike you, I leave open the possibility that it is a possibility, however unlikely".
[+] 2 users Like mrlmichael's post
08-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I think it was Hitch that said this;

If someone says, "I'll pray for you"

Answere with "and I'll think for you"

I love that ! Yes
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
08-02-2014, 09:35 AM
(07-02-2014 09:16 PM)Deerdra Wrote:  Yep. There's always a measure of either one of these two things: a) what strikes me as drank-the-koolaid tone of voice and expression or b) false sincerity with a dose of condescension.

The worst is when it comes in the "pray for god to soften your heart" variety. That one makes me twitch. "Let us pray that mrlmichael's heart is softened so that he may accept Jesus as his savior." Yeah, makes you want to rage doesn't it? But I find that when you rage, you only get more of the same or a pitying look. It's passive aggressive.

Oh, the perect response to that would be "you mean for god to soften my head, don't you?" I can't wait for someone to say that to me so I can use this line.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
08-02-2014, 09:52 AM
(07-02-2014 02:34 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  The whole prayer works thing is really bunk. This will be quick but if someone brings this up ask these questions:

Why does god not answer your prayers but not the ones for kids praying for food that are starving?

What makes your prayer more important then theirs?

If we have to work to make prayers work what the point of praying?

If only people that pray to your specific god to have it answered, then why do people of other religions have there prayers answered?

If it is demons answering their prayer, then how do you know that it's not their demons answer your prayers? How can you know without your holy book?

[Image: atheist_cat.jpg]

You forgot to add, "if god is omni and whatevs, why is prayer boring and not fun?"

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
08-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Praying is hilarious.
Surely, [God] knows what you want already?
"I just want to hear you say it! Beg!
That's better. I'll think about it."

- Ricky Gervais

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
08-02-2014, 10:17 AM
(08-02-2014 10:11 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Praying is hilarious.
Surely, [God] knows what you want already?
"I just want to hear you say it! Beg!
That's better. I'll think about it."

- Ricky Gervais

Ya that is true. God is really fucked upBig Grin

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと