How to be the gate keeper of damn giving...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 05:24 PM
How to be the gate keeper of damn giving...?
How to be the gate keeper of damn giving...? I need a remediable lesson in how to and how to not give a damn. yes I need both because things I should give a damn about are lacking and things I shouldn't give a damn about I do.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2017, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 06:17 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: How to be the gate keeper of damn giving...?
The trick is not to give a damn about giving a damn. If you give a damn about the fact that you're giving a damn, then you're not going to not give a damn. You can't ask "how do I not give a damn?" Then you're giving a damn about not giving a damn.

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
02-05-2017, 06:29 PM
There's a Nobel prize solving that problem - or at least being invited to give a TED talk, if you give a damn about that sort of thing. Giving a damn or not APPROPRIATELY has eluded the entirety of mankind since we thought climbing down out of trees was something to give a damn about, and shows not the slightest sign of ever becoming unmuddled. It's like the old joke about the husband bragging to his friends at the club that in his family he handles all the big important decisions like who to vote for while his wife handles all the small things like what house or car to buy.

Me, I give a damn about what makes my heart race. But I never choose to make it race - it does that on its own, driven by whatever pierces the repose of my subconscious.

I wish you well in your quest. Keep us posted what you find.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
04-05-2017, 04:49 PM
(02-05-2017 06:01 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  The trick is not to give a damn about giving a damn. If you give a damn about the fact that you're giving a damn, then you're not going to not give a damn. You can't ask "how do I not give a damn?" Then you're giving a damn about not giving a damn.

<sings> "And a partridge in a pear tree...</sings> Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
09-05-2017, 07:03 PM
(02-05-2017 05:24 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  How to be the gate keeper of damn giving...? I need a remediable lesson in how to and how to not give a damn. yes I need both because things I should give a damn about are lacking and things I shouldn't give a damn about I do.
I have always had a bit of a problem with keeping one's ego attachments, attachments to particular outcomes, and such like out of the picture, without this resulting in apathy and/or resignation. It feels like lowering one's standards into the toilet sometimes. I keep ratcheting them down and it's seemingly never enough. I'm constantly reminded of Dilbert saying, "I expect so little ... and boy, to I get it".

To the extent I have been successful even partially here, it has been when I have truly ceased to care ... not simply said "fuck it" but really just realized that certain things that used to matter to me truly don't matter anymore. Some of this has been me realizing that I've been chasing shadows, bemoaning things that never were things that could have ever happened in the real world anyway. Or wanting things that were never mine to have. Or believing things that never existed ;-)

But some of it is just that I'm too old for that shit ... I'm tired of being tired, and would rather just have some ease and enjoyment than be an irascible old coot. It is a simple fact that most of the things I really sought after, wanted, aspired to and desired, just didn't work out for me. But ... some things I didn't particularly desire or even work for just fell into my lap, too. Once you realize how flaky the connection between effort and outcomes are in life -- for everyone (in other words, no one is picking on you) -- then you just laugh at the patent absurdity of it, and roll with it.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
09-05-2017, 07:46 PM
(02-05-2017 05:24 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I need a remediable lesson in how to and how to not give a damn.

Learn about climate change. That will quickly put other things into perspective.
15-05-2017, 04:00 PM
"Boy, your mistaking me for one of those nice folks from Givaschidt County...."

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.