How to become a Veridican--what do you think?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2013, 01:31 AM

RE: How to become a Veridican--what do you think?
(19-01-2013 01:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  LOL. It's not that simple. 6 months ago, you'd have laughed at yourself. Prove one thing about any of it, maybe I'll take it seriously. It's a joke, Ed. Get real. Are you THAT bored with life ?

In an effort to be honest, I will say that one of the reasons I am posting initially here instead of a Christian forum (where the real atheists are) is because I have been so all-over-the-board in here, that I really don't have any credibility. Therefore, I can make mistakes in here and it really doesn't matter.

And you misspoke when you said "six months." When I first started the forum and Hughsie joined, I said it was my shtick to be insulting and brash. But it's not shtick. All of this, all of me, has been formed over all the years. Something happened when I posted those articles of faith. I realized that for the last seven years, all of this has been a course God laid before me. It's all real, and it will never stop. I don't think it can.

So, there will be no more flip-flopping, no more trial-and-error, no acting out parts. I have emerged from my chrysalis, and I have work to do.
Chase
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2013, 01:37 AM
(19-01-2013 01:12 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(18-01-2013 10:48 PM)cjs Wrote:  No actually I'm not.

Yes, you are, or you wouldn't be here. An atheist who doesn't believe, also doesn't give a damn about being an atheist. They just live their lives out. You are in here for the soul purpose of debating with theists in hopes that one will be able to show you something that can give you back your faith. Cuz you used to be one, didn't you? A Christian. Yes

This such a delusional point of view it's scary. It comes from someone who has the inability to even imagine that someone can live without faith, that it is somehow not a need to be fulfilled. It speaks of a very limited intellect, and a lack of empathy.

em·pa·thy noun \ˈem-pə-thē\

1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

It's this lack of empathy that caused Mitt Romney to disparage half of the American population in a private fundraising dinner. It's this lack of empathy that allows Pat Robertson to blame natural disasters on pagans and homosexuals. It's this lack of empathy that allowed neighbors to turn on each other for their own gain in the Salem Witch Trials. It's this lack of empathy that allowed Nazis to spend their days burning and gassing other human beings, then go home at night kiss their children and wives and go soundly to sleep as if they'd come back from doing office work. It's this lack of empathy that helped 19 intelligent young men to high-jack 4 airplanes to kill themselves and over 3000 of their fellow human beings, all for their own paradise.

It's this lack of empathy that causes you to threaten us with Hell if we don't follow your religion.

I don't threaten others with torture, in this life or the next. I can understand the need for faith, I can empathize with people who have faith. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I think it is an unnecessary crutch that humanity relies on, but no longer needs to stand upright; and that we'll never reach our true potential while we still cling to this antiquated concept. I'm trying to help pull people up and out of their ignorance, you seem determined to give yet another set of reasons to pull people back in.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-01-2013, 01:38 AM

(19-01-2013 01:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  That all begs the question; Why here? I have already pointed out that you are not convincing anybody here of your 'religion',

So, then I take it there is only really one person in this entire forum with a buch of sock puppets. That's the only way you could make that statement. Isn't it? Dodgy

Quote: though from the opinions I have seen and gathered, you are convincing some that you are insane, a suspicion which, I an finding fewer reasons to doubt on a seemingly daily basis.

You don't know what you're talking about. You have neither the credentials nor the experience to determine who is or isn't insane. But I'll give you a tip: Insane people, don't write as clearly as I write. Hobo

Quote:All this meaning sharing your cult with us, a completely sceptical community, on whom , you must realise you have no effect but eliciting amusement and pity.

That doesn't matter. I'm not sure you're going to get this, but after all the time and discussions in this forum, you all didn't make me an atheist--rather, you gave me the courage to be very very religious. You think it's a waste of time for me to be in here, but it's not. It's been the best thing that's ever happened to me. Big Grin
19-01-2013, 01:59 AM
(19-01-2013 01:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(19-01-2013 01:24 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  That all begs the question; Why here? I have already pointed out that you are not convincing anybody here of your 'religion',

So, then I take it there is only really one person in this entire forum with a buch of sock puppets. That's the only way you could make that statement. Isn't it? Dodgy

Inflating my statement to absurdity is not much of an answer, but I didn't really expect one. Actually, no, a giant sock-puppet ring is not the only way; discussion outside the forums happen regularly, and observation of reaction and resistance and scepticism in forum are also possible. Your arguments are poor and unconvincing, when you front one at all, sir. As such, through my own observations, I make that claim, and feel confident that, if asked, others would reply in kind.

Quote:though from the opinions I have seen and gathered, you are convincing some that you are insane, a suspicion which, I an finding fewer reasons to doubt on a seemingly daily basis.

You don't know what you're talking about. You have neither the credentials nor the experience to determine who is or isn't insane. But I'll give you a tip: Insane people, don't write as clearly as I write. Hobo

My ability to determine if a subject is displaying signs or behaviours outside what is generally considered stable, is not affected by credentials or experience, but by an understanding, however slight, which I can and do re-evaluate and develop when I have to opportunity.

Also, I highly doubt that writing has anything to do with the state of ones mind.

Quote:All this meaning sharing your cult with us, a completely sceptical community, on whom , you must realise you have no effect but eliciting amusement and pity.

That doesn't matter. I'm not sure you're going to get this, but after all the time and discussions in this forum, you all didn't make me an atheist--rather, you gave me the courage to be very very religious. You think it's a waste of time for me to be in here, but it's not. It's been the best thing that's ever happened to me. Big Grin

That does not address my point.

What do you get from proselytising at us, being totally ineffectual while you do so?

I see no advantage for you to proselytise to an audience who wont by the snake oil, unless you are simply attempting to make yourself even more a source of community humour and pity.

Well, whatever. Lol at you some other time, PVS.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
19-01-2013, 02:17 AM

(19-01-2013 01:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I don't threaten others with torture, in this life or the next. I can understand the need for faith, I can empathize with people who have faith. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I think it is an unnecessary crutch that humanity relies on, but no longer needs to stand upright; and that we'll never reach our true potential while we still cling to this antiquated concept. I'm trying to help pull people up and out of their ignorance, you seem determined to give yet another set of reasons to pull people back in.

It's not a lack of empathy, and who are you to try to destroy other people's faith with your ideas that there is no God--which is patently ludicrous? You say I'm acting without empathy by trying to save people, but you're happy to condemn them. Is that what you mean by empathy? Blink
19-01-2013, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2013 06:22 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(19-01-2013 02:17 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(19-01-2013 01:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I don't threaten others with torture, in this life or the next. I can understand the need for faith, I can empathize with people who have faith. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I think it is an unnecessary crutch that humanity relies on, but no longer needs to stand upright; and that we'll never reach our true potential while we still cling to this antiquated concept. I'm trying to help pull people up and out of their ignorance, you seem determined to give yet another set of reasons to pull people back in.

It's not a lack of empathy, and who are you to try to destroy other people's faith with your ideas that there is no God--which is patently ludicrous? You say I'm acting without empathy by trying to save people, but you're happy to condemn them. Is that what you mean by empathy? Blink

So by 'patently ludicrous', I would then assume you have some evidence for your particular god? No? Didn't think so, just more of the same woo-woo. Drinking Beverage

What I am doing is no more harmful than telling children that Santa Claus isn't a real man, with real elves, a real workshop, with a real sleigh, with real flying reindeer, and a real 'Naughty & Nice' list. Santa Claus is a social construct, a personification of a handful of human characteristics. Santa Claus does exists as a concept, but there is no reason to believe he is anything more than a concept. In short, Santa Claus is not real.

The same applies to your god. At best, god is just a concept, until we have evidence to suggest otherwise. Evidence you, or any other theist, have yet to provide. In short, your god is not real.

And if somebody came to these forums (or to me in real life) and tried to sell me the 'Gospel of St. Nicholas, the One True Santa', that he was establishing a new religion for a new take on 'Santa Claus'; I'd call them out on it too. Why you think you should get any special treatment is beyond me. I call out bad ideas when I see them, and you're trying to push a bad idea; so I'm going to call you out on it and explain why it's a bad idea.

Public Clausism

Public Clausism has rules. If you want the world to know you are a Clausist, you have to make a public statement of faith so everyone knows where you stand. This is done online.

The public statement reads:

1. I believe in Santa Claus.

2. I believe in Santa's reindeer; Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolph with his bright red nose.

3. I believe the life and teachings of Santa Claus are revealed in The Gospel of St. Nicholas.

4. I believe in the Clausian Articles of Faith of the Church of Santa Claus to the extent of my understanding.

5. I will never disparage Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, my brother and sisters in Claus, the Gospel of St. Nicholas, nor the Church of Santa Claus.

6. On my honor, I make this statement in good faith without mental reservations or purposes of evasion, so help me Santa.

If someone came to the forums and posted that, I would 1. call Poe's Law, and 2. explain why it was a bad idea.

[Image: 006-Its-the-ignorance_zps29face0b.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-01-2013, 02:40 AM

(19-01-2013 01:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I see no advantage for you to proselytise to an audience who wont by the snake oil, unless you are simply attempting to make yourself even more a source of community humour and pity.

Practice. Girl_nails
19-01-2013, 08:36 AM
(19-01-2013 01:12 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(18-01-2013 10:48 PM)cjs Wrote:  No actually I'm not.

Yes, you are, or you wouldn't be here. An atheist who doesn't believe, also doesn't give a damn about being an atheist. They just live their lives out. You are in here for the soul purpose of debating with theists in hopes that one will be able to show you something that can give you back your faith. Cuz you used to be one, didn't you? A Christian. Yes

Yes I've seen the light!! You see right through me, o wise prophet with the one true faith which is now to be found on the Internet on an atheist board! I bow before your wisdom and greatness and your foray into either psychiatry or cold reading of people. Not.

Yes I used to be Christian by accident of birth and culture.

My purpose in coming here was to find like minded people to discuss atheism with since most people where I live are Christians and I can't discuss it with them. If I were trying to rediscover my faith as you say, an atheist board would be the last place I'd look. But good luck with your new business venture.
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
19-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Say, Ed, are there any Veridicans other than you and your wife? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
19-01-2013, 11:29 AM
(18-01-2013 03:43 PM)Egor Wrote:  This is a statement I intend to release on my site. What do you think of it?
that my purpose is to become Christ, even as he was Christ.

Keep that, flush the rest. It only gets in the way. That's what I think.

(19-01-2013 01:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  But I'll give you a tip: Insane people, don't write as clearly as I write.

That's bullshit. I got proof. I am proof. Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post