How to completely and utterly 'checkmate' an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM

RE: How to completely and utterly 'checkmate' an atheist
(31-03-2010 09:28 PM)Glennd1 Wrote:  Worst part about it is that the arguments are never worth it. I've given up arguing with Christians. I've noticed they're becoming more and more strident though - am I the only one who thinks that?

I'd say the opposite, compared to such historical figures as Martin Luther. While he openly vilified logic, truth and reason, saying that the "good of Mother Church" trumps all, modern apologists usually settle for misrepresenting and attempting to make use of the aforementioned concepts. :-P
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
(31-03-2010 03:11 PM)AquaMarine Wrote:  Actually the argument "You can't prove God doesn't exist!" is the one I hate the most...because they're right...we can't prove a negative...

Yes, they're right, but that doesn't prove that their god exists.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM

I think you mean a universal negative, AquaMarine. And yes, being unable to prove a negative does not imply positive proof in any form.

It is not possible to prove that a polka-dotted dinosaur with six legs NEVER existed, even if we do not find it in the fossil record. Not all species are represented there because of the precise conditions required for bone to be preserved. But this does not constitute proof that polka-dotted dinosaurs with six legs existed.
11-04-2010, 03:26 PM

(06-03-2010 03:33 AM)Juppers Wrote:  It's like taking a candy from a baby. All you need to say is 'It's in the bible!' and they'll hang their heads down in shame and defeat. At least that's what this video sets on to 'prove':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P47OC439x88

Do those arguments sound familiar? Wink

Love the quote!