How to completely split ties with religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2015, 02:29 PM
How to completely split ties with religion?
Hey everyone, so this is my second post on here. Over the past few months I've come to the conclusion that religion is just not for me. It angers me what people do with it and how they use it. My issue currently is that I'm trying to separate myself from religion (or christianity to be more specific) and I didn't think this would be easy but there a lot more things that I'm realizing and seeing now that I am beginning to live this lifestyle. I used to pray every night before I went to bed and it was kind of just like a regimen but now when I go to bed, I realize that I don't pray anymore and it feels weird...but it's almost relieving as well. It's also a little scary because prayer can be used as a security blanket and now that I don't do that anymore, it feels different. I've realized that this entire time I've been using religion as a safety mechanism, and that's so crazy to me. That's no way to live, but it's also a little tempting to want to have something divine that I feel like is there to protect me (even though I don't believe there is) Religious things are also more apparent to me.

I have tons of friends who are religious, and whenever they post something on facebook that has to do with God (which is like 80% of the time) I almost cringe a little. It actually irritates me and I don't want to be that way, but I feel like I can't help it. I'm seeing everything with different eyes. Can anyone relate to this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like xastrogasmx's post
17-09-2015, 02:35 PM
RE: How to completely split ties with religion?
So far the best option is getting to Mars.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
17-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Yup. It's part of the glorious frustration that is being the one who sees clearly, when all around you are dreaming.

You find people who clearly don't quite buy it, but fear to leave.

You find those who try to hide their doubts from themselves by being more devout.

You see the schmucks, those who take advantage, the outwardly pious but inwardly scheming bastards, who know a good racket and how to milk it.

You see the people who buy it wholeheartedly and fully, and can think no other way...

And you, especially in the beginning, you have no one to relate to... No one who sees what you see...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-09-2015, 02:43 PM
(17-09-2015 02:29 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Hey everyone, so this is my second post on here. Over the past few months I've come to the conclusion that religion is just not for me. It angers me what people do with it and how they use it. My issue currently is that I'm trying to separate myself from religion (or christianity to be more specific) and I didn't think this would be easy but there a lot more things that I'm realizing and seeing now that I am beginning to live this lifestyle. I used to pray every night before I went to bed and it was kind of just like a regimen but now when I go to bed, I realize that I don't pray anymore and it feels weird...but it's almost relieving as well. It's also a little scary because prayer can be used as a security blanket and now that I don't do that anymore, it feels different. I've realized that this entire time I've been using religion as a safety mechanism, and that's so crazy to me. That's no way to live, but it's also a little tempting to want to have something divine that I feel like is there to protect me (even though I don't believe there is) Religious things are also more apparent to me.

I have tons of friends who are religious, and whenever they post something on facebook that has to do with God (which is like 80% of the time) I almost cringe a little. It actually irritates me and I don't want to be that way, but I feel like I can't help it. I'm seeing everything with different eyes. Can anyone relate to this?

There is a fantastic add-on for web browsers called "rather". You input keywords you don't want to see such as "praise jesus". The add-on then replaces those posts with pictures from an RSS feed. It's pretty easy to set up and it's fantastic. I have political BS, religious BS, and a few others on there and it makes my Facebook wall much more tolerable without unfriending every single religious person I know.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
17-09-2015, 02:44 PM
(17-09-2015 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  Yup. It's part of the glorious frustration that is being the one who sees clearly, when all around you are dreaming.

You find people who clearly don't quite buy it, but fear to leave.

You find those who try to hide their doubts from themselves by being more devout.

You see the schmucks, those who take advantage, the outwardly pious but inwardly scheming bastards, who know a good racket and how to milk it.

You see the people who buy it wholeheartedly and fully, and can think no other way...

And you, especially in the beginning, you have no one to relate to... No one who sees what you see...

Exactly! It's just like they're all sheep and I was one of those people which is so insane to me now. I feel alone, because I don't think I actually have any friends who are 'atheist'.
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
17-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Absolutely.

For the most part I just ignore all the post. You'll never change anyone's mind with one quick comment. And there not really harming anyone.

I have friends that have many different beliefs. Morman's, Jahova Witness's, Catholics, and Christians. The really far gone one's always post something about Jesus, or Pray for this person, or if you say Amen then you'll get a lot of money etc etc.

You'll start to think to yourself how could they not realize? Are they stupid?

The answer is no. You and I weren't stupid when we we're believers. Ignorant maybe, but not stupid. Until I was about 22 I didn't even know what an Atheist was. I was in the understanding everyone believed in God. And it was just a matter of understanding him.

It takes time. It's a journey that most of us had to come to on our own. To come to this position you have to be able to see threw the lies. Be more skeptical. The only thing that can defeat the imaginary monsters is education.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
17-09-2015, 02:51 PM
(17-09-2015 02:44 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I don't think I actually have any friends who are 'atheist'.

You do now Wink But yeah, IRL friends are also important. You find them eventually. Universities are good places to look, but they can be found in many places. Even in church - watch for the ones who roll their eyes Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-09-2015, 02:51 PM
It's always scary when you think you have to go it alone. But you're not alone.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
17-09-2015, 02:52 PM
I used to pray every night too (and every day Facepalm ). I also have a lot of Christian/Catholic friends/family members. It was very hard at the beginning because I stayed quiet with my own doubts while still going to church and not saying anything to anybody. When I finally started telling people, I got the expected responses: It's just a phase. You just want to sin freely. You haven't truly accepted Jesus into your heart. You are going to hell. Why would you possibly want to be one of *them* (i.e. atheists)...etc. etc. etc. Even now that I'm out as an atheist, I still get emails from Christian/Catholic friends and family asking me to pray for this, that, or the other thing. It is irritating, but I just choose to ignore it and let them live in their delusion, because as you say, it is their security blanket.

I just focus on living my own truth, sleeping in on Sundays, and not worrying what an imaginary sky daddy thinks of me and my life. Wink
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-09-2015, 02:53 PM
(17-09-2015 02:29 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Hey everyone, so this is my second post on here. Over the past few months I've come to the conclusion that religion is just not for me. It angers me what people do with it and how they use it. My issue currently is that I'm trying to separate myself from religion (or christianity to be more specific) and I didn't think this would be easy but there a lot more things that I'm realizing and seeing now that I am beginning to live this lifestyle. I used to pray every night before I went to bed and it was kind of just like a regimen but now when I go to bed, I realize that I don't pray anymore and it feels weird...but it's almost relieving as well. It's also a little scary because prayer can be used as a security blanket and now that I don't do that anymore, it feels different. I've realized that this entire time I've been using religion as a safety mechanism, and that's so crazy to me. That's no way to live, but it's also a little tempting to want to have something divine that I feel like is there to protect me (even though I don't believe there is) Religious things are also more apparent to me.

Everyone exits differently. Of course it will feel weird because this is a new, foreign territory that you are not used to. Sometimes it's hard to change a worldview 'cold turkey' if you will. If praying at night makes you feel safe why stop? Keep doing it but just remind yourself that most likely there's no one there to hear it or answer. Eventually your head will connect with that point and you'll realize that the outcome is the same (you wake up in the morning, you're safe, your family is safe etc) if you pray or not.

@Airportkid had a great post on prayer a while back....read this and see just how unfalsifiable and irrational it really is:

Airportkid's excellent thread on prayer

All the best to you!

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post