How to completely split ties with religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2015, 02:54 PM
RE: How to completely split ties with religion?
You do now Wink But yeah, IRL friends are also important. You find them eventually. Universities are good places to look, but they can be found in many places. Even in church - watch for the ones who roll their eyes Tongue
[/quote]

I'm going back to college in January so I'm hoping there I'll be able to find people who think similarly to me. And I haven't been to church in yearsNo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like xastrogasmx's post
17-09-2015, 02:54 PM
(17-09-2015 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  You find people who clearly don't quite buy it, but fear to leave.

I was one of these for quite a while. Longer than I care to admit now that I think about it. I can relate to everything you're saying too; especially the bit about cringing when friends post god/religion/prayer (preyer is more accurate maybe?) related things on social media.

If by 'splitting ties' you mean becoming completely comfortable with your new worldview, I think that will happen if given enough time. Constantly seeing your friends and family posting that kind of stuff only makes the process longer and more lonely. Maybe it's already more like a trip to Mars than you think.
[+] 1 user Likes mediocrates's post
17-09-2015, 02:58 PM
(17-09-2015 02:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I used to pray every night too (and every day Facepalm ). I also have a lot of Christian/Catholic friends/family members. It was very hard at the beginning because I stayed quiet with my own doubts while still going to church and not saying anything to anybody. When I finally started telling people, I got the expected responses: It's just a phase. You just want to sin freely. You haven't truly accepted Jesus into your heart. You are going to hell. Why would you possibly want to be one of *them* (i.e. atheists)...etc. etc. etc. Even now that I'm out as an atheist, I still get emails from Christian/Catholic friends and family asking me to pray for this, that, or the other thing. It is irritating, but I just choose to ignore it and let them live in their delusion, because as you say, it is their security blanket.

I just focus on living my own truth, sleeping in on Sundays, and not worrying what an imaginary sky daddy thinks of me and my life. Wink
I've heard people use the excuse 'you just want to sin freely' which sounds completely fucking bananas to me. Thank you, I'm trying to ignore it.
[+] 2 users Like xastrogasmx's post
17-09-2015, 03:00 PM
(17-09-2015 02:54 PM)mediocrates Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  You find people who clearly don't quite buy it, but fear to leave.

I was one of these for quite a while. Longer than I care to admit now that I think about it. I can relate to everything you're saying too; especially the bit about cringing when friends post god/religion/prayer (preyer is more accurate maybe?) related things on social media.

If by 'splitting ties' you mean becoming completely comfortable with your new worldview, I think that will happen if given enough time. Constantly seeing your friends and family posting that kind of stuff only makes the process longer and more lonely. Maybe it's already more like a trip to Mars than you think.
I'm not trying to turn into one of those super aggressive atheists that hate everything religion and they have to broadcast it to everyone, but it's definitely irritating.
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
17-09-2015, 03:00 PM
... I *did* want to "sin" freely Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Well I can 100% relate to that. I try to have some pity for people who cling to their religion and post it on social media. Sometimes I want to do something to make them at least think about their religion, but they have been indoctrinated just like you and me and most people on this forum once were, so it probably wouldn't do any good. Remember, we were all there at one point. I was never into religion enough to do routine prayer, but I don't miss the church routine at all, so maybe you will get past that. You will realize that you're not missing anything. This forum, and atheism in general, has opened my world view; it feels good to see the world as it is.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
17-09-2015, 03:04 PM
(17-09-2015 02:58 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I've heard people use the excuse 'you just want to sin freely' which sounds completely fucking bananas to me. Thank you, I'm trying to ignore it.

I thought it's the religious people who get to 'sin freely'! They can do whatever they want and just ask to be forgiven, right? There's no taking responsibility when all you gotta do is say "sorry 'bout that. Won't happen again."
17-09-2015, 03:04 PM
(17-09-2015 02:54 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  You do now Wink But yeah, IRL friends are also important. You find them eventually. Universities are good places to look, but they can be found in many places. Even in church - watch for the ones who roll their eyes Tongue

I'm going back to college in January so I'm hoping there I'll be able to find people who think similarly to me. And I haven't been to church in yearsNo
[/quote]

College is a great place to meet other atheists. When people are away from the homes and family that impose religion on them, they're much more open about doubts and irreligiousness.

Check around for secular organizations in your area, you'll be shocked at how many atheists are around. I joined one a while back because I felt like that too. My best friend is an atheist, but we pretty much thought we were the only 2 in Ohio. Not even close. Hell, I even found out people I thought were very religious were just deeply in the closet.

"seek and ye shall find", so to speak. Laugh out load

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
17-09-2015, 03:06 PM
(17-09-2015 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... I *did* want to "sin" freely Evil_monster

I DO sin freely. To quote a wise man, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
17-09-2015, 04:45 PM
(17-09-2015 02:54 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm going back to college in January so I'm hoping there I'll be able to find people who think similarly to me.

Check out Secular Student Alliance

If your college doesn't already have a chapter you can work with them to start one.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post